JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am wondering if using a rifled chamber adapter in my 20ga shotgun would be considered a modification to a rifle, SBR, or... for legal purposes? For example if my shotgun has a 20" smooth bore barrel and I install a 3 inch rifled chamber adapter in 38spl, is it still a shotgun for legal purposes?

Which ranges could I use the firearm in at TCGC?

Here is one of the chamber adapters I am looking at buying. https://www.theshootersbox.com/20GA...Chamber-Reducer--Stainless-Steel_p_35367.html

I could buy one longer than 5.5 inches if that would allow me to use it in more range areas at TCGC?

This model in 9mm is available in longer lengths: https://chaszel.com/product/9mm-luger-shotgun-adapters/

Those questions are best answered by TCGC's Chief RSO and/or the operations manager.

I'm not a shotgun guy and have never seen or heard of those adapters. They do look interesting though. I'd be curious to hear the club's response…..

Since the Feds consider removing a pistol brace strap a redesign of a firearm, I am thinking that converting a shotgun to a centerfire firearm with a rifled barrel may also be a redesign of a firearm. The question would be what do they condsider the newly redesigned firearm?

Why don't rifled shotgun barrels change the classification of a shotgun?

Last Edited:
My short barrel rifle theory is this. If you install a rifled chamber adapter in a shotgun barrel, it essentially becomes the new barrel for the cartridge you are going to fire. The shotgun barrel no longer serves a purpose except to keep the new barrel (chamber adapter) attached to the action. It will act as a shroud for the new barrel.

If you were to install a chamber adapter of less than 16inches in length, the redesigned firearm could potentially be classified as an SBR. If you were to pin and weld the shotgun barrel to the chamber adapter then the extra length of the shotgun barrel should count towards the overall length of the chamber adapter.

These Chamber adapters have been around a long time. I think if they were a problem for ATF it would have already been.at one time I was thinking of buying a pair of 15" adapters in 45-70 to make a kind of double rifle out of an old cheap side by side.

These Chamber adapters have been around a long time. I think if they were a problem for ATF it would have already been.at one time I was thinking of buying a pair of 15" adapters in 45-70 to make a kind of double rifle out of an old cheap side by side.
Sounds like a great project. I am thinking about methods to turn my cheap 50cal inline muzzleloader into a centerfire and rimfire firearm, pistol first, then with birdshead grip and possibly back to rifle later. I have to doublecheck the legality of the configs before proceeding.

One method is to use the 410 chamber adapters stuffed inside the inline barrel. I would cut down the inline barrel to match the length of the longest chamber adapter I was going to use.

I don't think there is enough meat on the inline barrel to bore out for 20ga adapters but it's possible.

Sounds like a great project. I am thinking about methods to turn my cheap 50cal inline muzzleloader into a centerfire and rimfire firearm, pistol first, then with birdshead grip and possibly back to rifle later. I have to doublecheck the legality of the configs before proceeding.

One method is to use the 410 chamber adapters stuffed inside the inline barrel. I would cut down the inline barrel to match the length of the longest chamber adapter I was going to use.

I don't think there is enough meat on the inline barrel to bore out for 20ga adapters but it's possible.
The "breech face" on the muzzleloader was only designed to hold the pressures coming through the muzzleloader breech plug nipple hole so that may be a problem with my dream.

Edit the firing pin was designed to set off percussion caps so that may be another barrier. I think they offered 209 conversion breech plugs for the Tradition Pursuit. If they did that would make it more likely that the firing pin could set off some centerfire primers and rimfire cartridges.

Those questions are best answered by TCGC's Chief RSO and/or the operations manager.

I'm not a shotgun guy and have never seen or heard of those adapters. They do look interesting though. I'd be curious to hear the club's response…..
I would be very surprised if they didn't say "Not Allowed".
A shotgun can be fired at any angle (birdshot) and be safe for surrounding homes/ people etc.
You convert it and then it still looks like a shotgun, but it' not.

Last Edited:
I would be very surprised if they didn't say "Not Allowed".
A shotgun can be fired at any angle (birdshot) and be safe for surrounding homes/ people etc.
You convert it and then it still looks like a shotgun, but it' not.
They allow shotguns shooting slugs on the general purpose range, the chamber adapters should shoot with the same or better accuracy then slugs in a smooth bore.

Revisiting this question for FFL transfer purposes. If I was to pin and weld this chamber adapter into break open 12ga shotgun, should it transfer as shotgun or rifle?

NEF Handi rifles were made in two frames ( or more ) there was one for shotguns and one for rifle rounds. You could get a shotgun barrel for the rifle action but could not get a rifled barrel mated to the shotgun action because the shotgun action wasnt as strong. I would personally question the strength of a shotgun action shooting a centerfire round.

With a rifled chamber adapter what keeps it from spinning in the barrel when fired?
Not sure, but pinning and welding it would prevent that. For temporary usage in a dedicated chamber adapter shotgun a set screw could be used. That would allow the chamber adapter to be secured in the same position each time it was installed. It would prevent it from rotating as well.

Last Edited:
O-rings.

I have a couple Chaszel adapters, they have never moved upon firing.
The short ones I was looking to start with don't have o-rings. I wonder if the chamber adapter expands to tightly fit the chamber when a round is fired? Or maybe the thrust pressure forces it against the breech face and keeps it from rotating?

The short ones I was looking to start with don't have o-rings. I wonder if the chamber adapter expands to tightly fit the chamber when a round is fired? Or maybe the thrust pressure forces it against the breech face and keeps it from rotating?
Don't buy them.

I'd have a larger concern of the fit not being very good and having it possibly get wedged, stuck from powder residue and/or damage the chamber. Or even just having the adapter causing wear inside the chamber, thus enlarging it out of spec.

Keep in mind when the breach is closed, the chamber adapter will be pressed against the breech face of the action. If a shot shell won't spin in the chamber, neither will the adapter.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top