JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a couple of silencers I started Form 4s for recently, and I don't expect them to be approved before the end of the year. If Measure 114 passes do you think it could affect my ability to pick them up in 2023 after the ATF finishes their BS?

I've read the Measure text and didn't see any language about silencers, and silencers do not meet the legal definition of a firearm, so a permit should not be required. But since our background checks in Oregon go through the state police and their BCG system would have to be modified to also check for firearm permits, I'm concerned this could impact silencer pickup.

Anyone aware of insider discussions or plans for how this may be handled?

I am kind of in the same boat, although in theory mine should clear before the end of the year. Everything I've read on this forum tends to indicate they would also be affected because of the 4473. Fingers crossed there's a loophole for that, fingers double crossed we can vote this bill down in the first place.

I'm at 6mo with an efile form-4, but I believe it would get caught up in the same mess. That said, I don't believe it would go into effect until at least the next year.

I'm not sure on initiatives, but unless a representative law has an emergency clause, it won't go into effect for like 9mo.

Last Edited:
Correction, legally a suppressor is a firearm. They fit within the definition of firearm with both the NFA act and the Gun Control act. Hence their regulation. They may be subject to further scrutiny if the bill passes in Oregon.

Oregon law defines firearm separately from firearm silencer.

The federal NFA does include silencers within the definition of firearm.

Which language does Measure 114 use? Does it incorporate federal definitions?

Even though it's already been purchased you are going to have to fill out a 4473 to take possession. So if it comes in after the measure (if it passes) I'm guessing to may need the "permit." With that being said though it with it already have been purchased it may not affect you…. Not sure. The bill was written by individuals who have no concept of how this works or how to fund this process.

If it passes it will be a mess for FFL and future gun buyers.

I would certainly hope every Oregon resident who frequents this forum plans to vote no on 114.
You'd be surprised. Some people here voted for Biden as well knowing where he stood on the second amendment….

Don't put to much faith in humanity.

Just spoke to the guys at Tick Licker in Salem. For what it's worth, they say even if 114 passes it will have 0 effect on suppressors. He said while you do have to fill out the 4473, there is no actual secondary background check since you just passed the NFA check.

I can neither confirm nor deny this as this is my first suppressor purchase, but I am hoping they know far more than me on this subject. They sell a lot of suppressors, so I assume they do.

Just spoke to the guys at Tick Licker in Salem. For what it's worth, they say even if 114 passes it will have 0 effect on suppressors. He said while you do have to fill out the 4473, there is no actual secondary background check since you just passed the NFA check.

I can neither confirm nor deny this as this is my first suppressor purchase, but I am hoping they know far more than me on this subject. They sell a lot of suppressors, so I assume they do.
Could be true, when I was picking up my stamp, I was also picking up lower and I got delayed. It may have been from the lower BGC.

Even though it's already been purchased you are going to have to fill out a 4473 to take possession. So if it comes in after the measure (if it passes) I'm guessing to may need the "permit." With that being said though it with it already have been purchased it may not affect you…. Not sure. The bill was written by individuals who have no concept of how this works or how to fund this process.

If it passes it will be a mess for FFL and future gun buyers.
Yup, that's what happens when amateurs are allowed to write legislation. Perhaps the good Reverend can fund the initial expenses of putting this into effect. Dude should lose his tax exempt status for his "church"…

I am assuming everyone here in this thread waiting on their suppressors plans on voting no on 114, right?
Waiting on one more NFA item (mg, not can) and, oh hell yes, I am voting "No" on that grossly unconstitutional bill. (Ditto the other adult in the house.)

Dude should lose his tax exempt status for his "church"…
Amen. :s0165:

Same boat. The last one I bought should slide in right at the buzzer for 114 which I'm admittedly quite sure will pass. It's definitely preventing me from buying more so in theory you could say just having it on the ballot is having an effect as I'm sure I'll not the only person waiting on the results before spending more money. 114 will screw up everything.

An OR measure would use OR law as per what constitues a firearm... so silencers should be unaffected.

As to enactment... it's already been said that portions of it would be in affect immediately (mag ban), but the permit portion would not. Once passed, a schedule would have to be created for implementation and funding would have to be approved... which will take same time.

I agree with @solv3nt ... and as been projected... implementation and active date for the permits is still 9mo to a year out. If all goes according to the blue haired devils machinations.

If it does pass... I'm hoping we'll have something to say about that and it will be thrown out before they get their pound of flesh.

An OR measure would use OR law as per what constitues a firearm... so silencers should be unaffected.

As to enactment... it's already been said that portions of it would be in affect immediately (mag ban), but the permit portion would not. Once passed, a schedule would have to be created for implementation and funding would have to be approved... which will take same time.

I agree with @solv3nt ... and as been projected... implementation and active date for the permits is still 9mo to a year out. If all goes according to the blue haired devils machinations.

If it does pass... I'm hoping we'll have something to say about that and it will be thrown out before they get their pound of flesh.
I'm still hitting "buy" on another Langdon Tactical Beretta if they pass this garbage, and I'll order another pile of magazines.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top