JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just for sake of discussion, what do you think the BEST caliber is for hunting cougar? I just normally buy a tag and will shoot them with whatever I have on hand, but looks like we may be back in business with dogs again, so what would be the Ideal caliber for just shooting cougars?

Just for sake of discussion, what do you think the BEST caliber is for hunting cougar? I just normally buy a tag and will shoot them with whatever I have on hand, but looks like we may be back in business with dogs again, so what would be the Ideal caliber for just shooting cougars?

I would not count on hunting with dogs coming back anytime soon. I'm not sure why anyone would feel otherwise. The Democratic Party controls both houses and the governorship, and is pretty tight with the various animal rights and pro predator groups.

The chairman of the Oregon Senate Committee on Environment and Natural Resources is currently Chris Edwards, a very liberal Senator from Eugene. In the past, Democrats have used their Chairmanship on this committee to block any bills changing the law from even being heard and given a vote. Edwards is not going to be any different.

So even if a bill is introduced this year, the hard cold truth is that with the way that the legislature is run, it is unlikely that it will even get a chance to be voted on.

When shooting treed animals at close range, you can use just about anything. A friend of my father used to hunt black bears with dogs back when it was legal, and he killed all of his bears with a Colt 1911 Gold Cup 45 ACP.

I would argue that a 243 would be about the ideal rifle cartridge for hunting cougars without dogs. I would be leery of using anything less than a 22-250.

11 year old Shelby White from Twisp, Washington used a Tikka T3 in .243 to make her famous kill of a Cougar stalking her brother:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...aking-THIRD-mountain-cat-killed-one-week.html

article-2568771-1BDF33C700000578-455_306x423.jpg

article-2568771-1BDF339E00000578-724_634x597.jpg

Last Edited:
I would not shoot a cougar with a handgun myself. Here is a photo of a police officer shooting one twice at point blank range with a 9mm handgun. Another officer has to finish the cougar off with a load of Buckshot from a shotgun.

Meanwhile, you can listen to the audio and hear the staff inside the Health Center having a fit over the police "murdering" the cougar.

Not really looking for help, as much as discussion. I think for me, a dedicated mountain lion rifle would be the .243 win. light varmint bullets for treed cats, more solid soft points for called or open chased cats. The .223 is, in my opinion, a bit light. For a revolver, I agree with you , mostly. I like my 4" gp100

Not really looking for help, as much as discussion. I think for me, a dedicated mountain lion rifle would be the .243 win. light varmint bullets for treed cats, more solid soft points for called or open chased cats. The .223 is, in my opinion, a bit light. For a revolver, I agree with you , mostly. I like my 4" gp100
A .243 would make a nice all around Cougar gun. For me though, I would choose a 7mm-08. If I am going to carry a "larger" rifle, I prefer it to be one I would carry on other hunting trips also. Which is why I have a BLR in 7mm-08. Nothing wrong with a .243, I just happen to have a soft spot for the 7mm-08.

Treed cats fall easily to the Ruger Deerfield Carbine in 44 mag with lighter fast expanding bullets. Open range, 243, 257, 260, all good choices. Up close, on the ground, calling situation, shotguns, preferably semi.

Yep we used 22.s If treed an easy target and their skull is like tissue paper thin.

Having done skull preps for the vertebrate museum at Southern Oregon State College when it was my work study job while I was a Biology major there in the mid 70's. I would strongly disagree with you on your characterization of a cats skull. I have done 3 bobcats, a Lynx, and 2 cougars for the museum. I have also handled maybe a half dozen more cougar skulls over the years at a friends taxidermy shop and in High School biology. I grant you they won't stop a .22 but they sure aren't paper thin they are easily as thick as a human skull (though some human skulls are a lot thicker then others but we aren't talking politics here)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top