Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cougar Washington shooting

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by pdxRealtor, Jun 7, 2016.

1. pdxRealtor

pdxRealtor East Gresham/Troutdale Active Member

Anyone have a good spot right around the speilyi fish hatchery?

There's tons of forest road on the north side of 503, just need a direction.

Pm me if preferred. Will clean any trash. Been going there for 30 years but usually just ride atvs. We have property in the family up there.

2. SA Shooter

SA Shooter Hillsboro, OR Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

You might check with the Gifford Pinchot National Forest office. The south side of the road near the Yale and Swift reservoir lands is part of the licensed hydroelectric project and no shooting is allowed there.

Good luck!

Joe13 likes this.
  3. pdxRealtor

Yes, we are on the south side at the east end of Merwin. It's North of there we ride, and would like to find a pit up far enough from the road.

4. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

5. pdxRealtor

The Gifford Forest Land is not part of the area directly above the East end of Merwin, on the SR 503 / Lewis River HWY side.

I'm looking for some unattended shooting areas where we can make an ATV ride out of it as well as get some shooting in.

Still looking for info and ideas on that specific area. PMs are welcome.

6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Best answer.

7. pdxRealtor

I've already contacted the Gifford National Forest. Their land ends about Beaver Bay. I'm further West. All three reservoirs, to the south, are off limits to pretty much anything these days except controlled recreational activities.

Joe13 likes this.
  8. SA Shooter

SA Shooter Hillsboro, OR Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I wonder which lumber companies own those northern parcels. Some of the lands are still part of the federal license to operate the hydro plants but not all of them. I've never been shooting up in that neck of the woods at all.

9. pdxRealtor

I've been up there, riding and shooting, but mostly riding, since I was a child. Long before anybody owned or regulated anything. I was always accompanied by someone who'd been there long before me who has since passed away so I'll be solo. And..... More of an emphasis on shooting as well.

I did some research and got my answers.

Thx for the input all!

10. Jag32

Jag32 Vancouver New Member

What did you fin out in your reasearch. I'm looking for the same thing and came across this post.

We have a place in Northwoods and want to find a good spot for target practice

Joe13 likes this.