JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do people eat cats ?

Yes. Delicious, very lean meat. Smells different than beef when you fry/brown it, but is great in stir-fry or stew. To me, it tastes like very high-quality beef. Looking forward to the next time I can get some.

It has to be thoroughly cooked, in case the beast had parasites.

I may have posted this before? A friend pushed a Cougar off this fresh kill when Elk hunting.

cougar1.JPG

The Sweet Home area has had a cougar overpopulation problem for some years. Around 2005 there were 3 cougars shot in one day around the town. One was stalking children by Holly School.

Around the same time friends on Pleasant Valley Rd. had one stalking their elderly mother as she took her daily walk around their property. She thought something was out of place when she saw a stump in the pasture that shouldn't be there. When she got back to the house, using a pair of binoculars, she looked to the pasture where the stump was. There in the middle of the day was a cougar... not a stump.

Again, up off Bellinger Scale Rd. there was a cougar who got into a farmers goats killed one and tore the other's up. In the next few days they tracked it down then dispatched it properly.

As much as some think they shouldn't be shot I'm of the opinion that doing so saves lives and livestock.

The area between Monmouth, Dallas, and Falls City has a big Mama lion with four almost-grown cubs. Counting the Daddy, that's at least six in our area this year. Too many.

I heard (or read) a conversation about the differences between the lions' behavior now, compared to their behavior when they were being hunted with dogs. It went something like this:

'In those days, the cats learned that humans and dogs meant trouble. Now that several generations of cats have come and gone without them being hunted as hard, they've lost some of their fear of humans and dogs.'

I don't know if that's true, but it might be. One of our neighbors reports that a lion was standing outside her fenced yard arguing with her two big dogs.

The area between Monmouth, Dallas, and Falls City has a big Mama lion with four almost-grown cubs. Counting the Daddy, that's at least six in our area this year. Too many.

I heard (or read) a conversation about the differences between the lions' behavior now, compared to their behavior when they were being hunted with dogs. It went something like this:

'In those days, the cats learned that humans and dogs meant trouble. Now that several generations of cats have come and gone without them being hunted as hard, they've lost some of their fear of humans and dogs.'

I don't know if that's true, but it might be. One of our neighbors reports that a lion was standing outside her fenced yard arguing with her two big dogs.

Like today's children :eek:

Back in the '70s when my dad and I used to hunt coon, bobcat, cougar and bear with dogs this problem didn't exist. There was also a larger deer population for the deer hunters to harvest. Cougars kill off the young deer now.

Just before I met my wife who was living in Vernonia, she saw a young cougar walking down the road in town during the day. This would have been 1988.

After we got married, driving to work one morning on McDonald Rd. I had the biggest cat I ever saw trot in front of my truck. It was a lynx.. Canadian Lynx are rare in Oregon. It wasn't a Bobcat because Bobcat ain't that big and don't have tufts on top of their ears.
0409_lynx_pair.jpg

Last Edited:
Yrs ago, my dirt bike club was making new trail in NorCal. Cutting a trail sidehill through the manzanita. "Mad Max" would make a cut with the chain saw, I would grab it and chuck it.
I pulled out a handful and there was ... a mountain lion ...:eek:
It was waiting, watching, and it wasn't moving till IT wanted too. Not even a frickin chainsaw scared it.

Cougar can, and do take down full grown Elk, deer as well as horses on ranches
I've seen it many, many times. I've also seen 2 big cats killed that stretched just over 9 feet long nose to tip of tail and thier front paw would fill a 8"inch dinner plate, and was over 250 lbs live weight (not field dressed at all) on the scales . A 6ft 2" inch cat is nuthin. That's a younger cat or female at best at that size. Average cats are 7 to 7.5 feet long in length from tip of thier nose, to end of thier tail. If a cougar has cross bar marking up and down the inside of thier forelegs they are 2.5 yrs old at best, usually up to 2 yrs old , and are a sign of juvenile cats. After that those bar markings on thier front legs fade away.
I used to run hounds for yrs.

Last Edited:
That is a big cat! My uncle was telling me a story the last time I was in their neck of the woods about a buddy who had a chicken coop that kept having cougars break in and eating the guy chickens. I can't remember if it was for all of 2018 or January to August (visited in September) but according to him the guy had trapped some 34 cougars, all caught in a second chicken run the guy made with a trapdoor and a caged chicken at the other end. 34 cats is nuts, especially for one place.

I don't like the excuses that they are preying on pets or livestock. They were here first and we are encroaching on their territory more each year. There are other ways to deal with them including dogs especially bred to protect livestock.

We're not encroaching as much as they are spreading due to very little population control. Cougars are very territorial and the more cats there are, the more there are cats where they don't belong, such as near communities. When the liberal dingbat voters made chasing cats with dogs illegal the cat population has grown to the point that they are now seen near towns and schools where historically a cougar sighting was unheard of.

I've been running game cams on our property for over three years. In just the past year I have pics of more than one cat and the pictures of them keep increasing by the month! Dad used to have a couple of cams set up and never had an inkling there were any around. It used to be rare to see a bear track in the snow with never a cat track to be found. We now have at least three local cats making the rounds. This is in a small gathering of houses about 10 miles east of Estacada. There's a few smaller kids living in the area and like kids, they play in the woods.

My SIL runs dogs for coons and other fur bearing animals. I'd sure like to be able to turn him loose on the cougars.

We're not encroaching as much as they are spreading due to very little population control. Cougars are very territorial and the more cats there are, the more there are cats where they don't belong, such as near communities. When the liberal dingbat voters made chasing cats with dogs illegal the cat population has grown to the point that they are now seen near towns and schools where historically a cougar sighting was unheard of.

I've been running game cams on our property for over three years. In just the past year I have pics of more than one cat and the pictures of them keep increasing by the month! Dad used to have a couple of cams set up and never had an inkling there were any around. It used to be rare to see a bear track in the snow with never a cat track to be found. We now have at least three local cats making the rounds. This is in a small gathering of houses about 10 miles east of Estacada. There's a few smaller kids living in the area and like kids, they play in the woods.

My SIL runs dogs for coons and other fur bearing animals. I'd sure like to be able to turn him loose on the cougars.
You should have quoted my whole post. We are not hat far apart. If there are more cougers, coyotes, etc., it is because their environment is out of balance. Man's encroachment, too many deer, or other easy food near our homes. Some may even be getting bolder - those are the problem makers and do need to be taken care of.:)

You should have quoted my whole post. We are not hat far apart. If there are more cougers, coyotes, etc., it is because their environment is out of balance. Man's encroachment, too many deer, or other easy food near our homes. Some may even be getting bolder - those are the problem makers and do need to be taken care of.:)
I only wanted to address the part I quoted. The rest is your opinion and everyone is entitled to that!:s0090:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top