Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cougar In West Linn?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by longcolt, Mar 26, 2010.

1. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

In the West Linn tidings Police Log.

March 19 at 7:47 pm. A cougar or a large mountain cat was reported on the hillside behind Summerlinn Way! Yikes!

That was the report, without the "yikes" of course.

First sighting I am aware of but maybe other members have seen them before.

Think a little Kel-tec P3AT in 380 cal would stop a Cougar, or just pizzz him/her off and make them bite harder??

2. Konad

Konad Portland Oregon Member

I'm sure it was just some fat house cat, we have some crazy yuppies out here.

3. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

I wonder what a 'large mountain cat' would be, if not a cougar?

Cougars are extremely fragile animals. Not alot of bones, mostly hide and muscle. Their entire skeleton almost fits in a shoebox. This particular cat probably is about 100 lbs, so the 380 would be fine. Back in the day when we could hunt them with dogs, a .22 was all one needed to send them to the happy hunting grounds.

4. Left Coast Avenger1

Left Coast Avenger1 Oregon City Member

Could have been a bobcat I guess.

5. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

I didn't know demi moore had a vacation home in west linn :D Close your windows and lock your doors!!!

6. Ravenous

Ravenous West Linn, OR Member

West Linn is filled with cougars, the only place I've seen more trophy wives is in Lake Oswego.

7. Left Coast Avenger1

Left Coast Avenger1 Oregon City Member

I think no gun could fend off a ravenous two legged cougar!

8. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

Ha! Ha! Now that there is right funny!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

9. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

Got coyotes in Gladstone so why not a kitty cat in West Linn? Problem with large predators is they need their own areas to live in. More predators means they have to spread out more. Apparantly they don't like to give up territory so smaller lots in the woods ain't gonna work for them.

10. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

West Linn is famous for their Cougars!! Go to any local bar on a week night!!!

11. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Big cats are tougher than you can imagine.. carry some real ordinance

12. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Any creature that can kill an adult Rottweiler is not "fragile".. I would want a 12 GA shotgun full of buck, myself

I have dispatched feral housecats with .38 specials.. often takes two or three solid hits. Imagine the relative size of those slugs vs the cat

13. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

We have a few blacktails running around here, suppose it wouldn't be out of line to have a (four legged) cougar. Seen many two legged ones, but the wife would be plenty pissed if I tried to bag one of those!

14. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

My house backs to a little creek/forest area in Gladstone (off the Willamette river) , last year I stepped out on my patio in time to see a Bobcat running thru my yard with a nutria in its jaws, then up & over a 8' fence with out missing a step. A cougar in West Linn ? I can believe it......

15. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

**** she can come over to my house:laugh: As for the real cougar well good luck!

16. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

There was a report a ways back about a LEO who shot a cougar multiple times with a .40 cal and it still ran off. They are determined killing machines made of darn near solid muscle.

17. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I wonder what a tazer would do the the feline....... i think it would be funny to see it freez and tip over hahahahahaha i love animals but if a cougar or a dog was coming at me i would drop it like it was hot lol i would rather shoot a human tho.......as far as demi goes, i don't want ashton's sloppy seconds lol

18. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

A 100lb Cat.. wow.. I have heard of cougars weighing around 150lbs.. They are very sneaky, intelligent, fast and strong. I hear that hunting them is quite a challenge and by the time you see a cougar it may already be on your neck. Their roar is so damn loud, it will creep you out. I had a run-in with a cougar at Bulls Gap in Southern Oregon, I was all alone and it was pouring rain at night at the campground. I cannot even explain how freaked out I was.

I don't think anyone should underestimate how dangerous they can be. Of course, with dogs, I guess it be alot easier to sense its presence and it would have a harder time sneaking up on you. Cats are a lot sneakier and better hunters than dogs though.

I would definately not hunt one of those alone with a handgun, thats if I was forced to hunt one.

19. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

coonbig.jpg

20. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Dang! That is one HUGE freakin' cat!