Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cougar in the area

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by parsons_12b, Oct 20, 2009.

1. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

Just got a call from my wife it seems several of our neighbors have seen a cougar in the area. There also was a bus driver who saw one this morning and several sightings just down the road from our neighborhood. This disturbs me I live in town and my son walks to school every morning I guess that is going to come to a halt. I really wish they would let the dogs loose on these things so they would stay in the mountains were they belong. Anyone else having problams with these cats.

2. Fjolnirsson

Fjolnirsson Western Oregon Member

Not cool. Whereabouts was the sighting?

3. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

I live on 29th and it was down from me twoards Juniper. There also have been sightings at the rodeo grounds.

4. Fjolnirsson

Fjolnirsson Western Oregon Member

Yeah, that's a bit farther into town than I've heard of before. I've heard of sightings out around 49th before, Wiley Creek and so forth. That's a bit close for comfort...

5. Mr.510

Mr.510 Belfair Washington Member

I started this thread http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16165 about a cougar encounter Sunday night at my home in Belfair Washington. I don't know what the gov't does about problem cougars in Oregon but up here if a big kitty is spotted more than a couple times in town or in a residential area they call up the hound hunters to hunt it down and kill it. Our location is rural/largely undeveloped forest so they don't just automatically hunt them down from chance sitings. If they persistently hang around homes, stalk people, or scare the crap out of somebody a couple times they bring out the dogs and/or issue a nuisance cougar removal permit so the homeowner can kill it themselves. Usually cougars will only come into towns or residential areas if they are sick, there's no food (deer) available in their range, or if they are overpopulated to the point they cannot establish their own territory. They are highly territorial and will fight to the death over "boundary disputes" of their home ranges. If a cougar is in close proximity to humans it is probably a desperate animal and is extremely dangerous.

Isn't Oregon's "cougar season" year-round now due to overpopulation?

6. Wallygator

Wallygator Albany, OR Active Member

Remember in the words of South Park - "Its Coming Right for Us!"

On another note, Thats pretty close for comfort.

7. smithmax

smithmax here Member

I use to work at a summer camp that had a cougar problem for a while. At one point a freshly killed deer was discovered in the middle of camp at 1pm. It is pretty concerning because you typically think that they'll stay away from large/loud groups of people, and especially not go there during the day.

8. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

That starts calendar year 2010.

9. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

season is on now and you can go get your tag. There is a break in the hunt from june-july I think, but if you fill first tag, you can get sa second.

10. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

We get cougars in here all the time. In fact one was trying to pick up one of my 22 year old bartenders just last night. I find them a bit off putting but I would never consider turning dogs on them. All you usually have to do is turn the house lights up and they run away. :)

11. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

PB-

I can offer my varmint hunting skills to help with that over population... Oh snap I am probably too old (39) to be hunting in your game reserve.

SF-

12. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

Cougars are solitary creatures. As such they just want a little company. Just be firm with them and they will become quite docile and even friendly.

Shut up, Karen!