JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got a call from my wife it seems several of our neighbors have seen a cougar in the area. There also was a bus driver who saw one this morning and several sightings just down the road from our neighborhood. This disturbs me I live in town and my son walks to school every morning I guess that is going to come to a halt. I really wish they would let the dogs loose on these things so they would stay in the mountains were they belong. Anyone else having problams with these cats.

I started this thread http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16165 about a cougar encounter Sunday night at my home in Belfair Washington. I don't know what the gov't does about problem cougars in Oregon but up here if a big kitty is spotted more than a couple times in town or in a residential area they call up the hound hunters to hunt it down and kill it. Our location is rural/largely undeveloped forest so they don't just automatically hunt them down from chance sitings. If they persistently hang around homes, stalk people, or scare the crap out of somebody a couple times they bring out the dogs and/or issue a nuisance cougar removal permit so the homeowner can kill it themselves. Usually cougars will only come into towns or residential areas if they are sick, there's no food (deer) available in their range, or if they are overpopulated to the point they cannot establish their own territory. They are highly territorial and will fight to the death over "boundary disputes" of their home ranges. If a cougar is in close proximity to humans it is probably a desperate animal and is extremely dangerous.

Isn't Oregon's "cougar season" year-round now due to overpopulation?

I use to work at a summer camp that had a cougar problem for a while. At one point a freshly killed deer was discovered in the middle of camp at 1pm. It is pretty concerning because you typically think that they'll stay away from large/loud groups of people, and especially not go there during the day.

season is on now and you can go get your tag. There is a break in the hunt from june-july I think, but if you fill first tag, you can get sa second.

Just got a call from my wife it seems several of our neighbors have seen a cougar in the area. There also was a bus driver who saw one this morning and several sightings just down the road from our neighborhood. This disturbs me I live in town and my son walks to school every morning I guess that is going to come to a halt. I really wish they would let the dogs loose on these things so they would stay in the mountains were they belong. Anyone else having problams with these cats.
We get cougars in here all the time. In fact one was trying to pick up one of my 22 year old bartenders just last night. I find them a bit off putting but I would never consider turning dogs on them. All you usually have to do is turn the house lights up and they run away. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top