JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone do it? What tactics do you use? Distress calls? Tracking? Solo or with a buddy?

I'm looking at getting into it, and trying to figure out my approach. Could be a lot of fun to hunt something that can hunt you back!

Ive done a little bit of cat hunting, some with calls, and sometimes with calls and a moving decoy. Only done it for a few years and never had any luck getting a shot off on one, but we have managed to call a few in.

I only do it with a buddy, since they are sneaky cats. I've heard a many stories of hunters ending up with cats a few yards away next to or behind them.

The two ways I do it, #1 Is calling in the early season,I have had not much luck...I have seen the flash of them slipping away and that is about it...

#2 Wait until late season when the snow is deep along the rivers,Snow pushes all the critters down...Get a snow running quad or a snow mobile or the old fashioned way snow shoes and trek along rivers and trails until you find tracks,Follow the tracks until you find a kill....A fresh Kill that is...Look carefully in the trees as you may find a over stuffed kitty snoozing after a meal or it could be a hungry one interrupted and ready to attack the intruder....

I have brought in kitties while horn shed hunting in the Elk calving areas, During Turkey hunting...This is a hot zone but they are out of season at this time...

Hunting them in the trees after a kill in the snow is the best for me...:s0155:

Thanks for the good info! It looks like I'll probably have to wait until winter to go out and try my tracking skills out.

Do either of you know how difficult it is to get private land access for cats? I would think land owners would be more inclined to let you hunt them than deer or elk.

Anyone do it? What tactics do you use? Distress calls? Tracking? Solo or with a buddy?

I'm looking at getting into it, and trying to figure out my approach. Could be a lot of fun to hunt something that can hunt you back!

I have seen quite a bit of cougar sign in most of the area's I hunt. Mostly tracks, but I also saw some enormous cougar crap near Springfield. Bigger than any dump I ever took that's for sure LOL!

A guy we spoke to while scouting another area near Lebanon, saw a 100-130 pounder cross the road in front of his truck, about 30 minutes after we had spotted a coyote cross the same road in front of our truck, in the same area.

The cougar population (like the coyotes) is getting out of hand due to the banning of hunting them with hounds many years back.

Here's a track I came across while scouting. I think it's a cougar(?). Different area than the huge scat, but also outside of Springfield.

Tracks002.jpg

Let me know when you do figure out the frequency. I'd like to go hunt em with you

That is not hunting....Any dough ball can get one that way.....

Step into there home,Find them with what they leave behind...No fences,No dogs,No traps,No electronic gadgets....That is hunting...

I took one guy out,We tracked a cat for five miles or so in 6 inches of snow...We found him tearing apart a four Pnt buck...the distance was about eighty yards between us and the cat,I told this guy to take him,But he was too struck en by this huge male tearing this Deer apart...We where hunched down close to the ground and the cat saw us and charged ,I assume to protect it's kill...I had to shoot,This big male slid to a stop twenty steps from our position....This so called hunter literally wet himself....His wife told my wife he said this is crazy,He will never hunt with me again :s0155:....I guess the rash he got from hauling out that cat in wet under cloths lasted days....:s0114:.... Cougar!...The other white meat...

Sounds like a good time. I hope you know I was not serious about the frequency thing, give us a break. I imagine hunting cougar is pretty intense or can be. I was stalking a deer archery hunting one time when a cougar (screamed?) (Not sure what the proper word is) and it sounded quite close. Im sure it was probably watching me stalk its deer and I couldn't see him. Of course the deer took off like they do

I have seen quite a bit of cougar sign in most of the area's I hunt. Mostly tracks, but I also saw some enormous cougar crap near Springfield. Bigger than any dump I ever took that's for sure LOL!

A guy we spoke to while scouting another area near Lebanon, saw a 100-130 pounder cross the road in front of his truck, about 30 minutes after we had spotted a coyote cross the same road in front of our truck, in the same area.

The cougar population (like the coyotes) is getting out of hand due to the banning of hunting them with hounds many years back.

Here's a track I came across while scouting. I think it's a cougar(?). Different area than the huge scat, but also outside of Springfield.

Tracks002.jpg

This is a dog track...
http://www.bear-tracker.com/caninevsfeline.html

Sounds like a good time. I hope you know I was not serious about the frequency thing, give us a break. I imagine hunting cougar is pretty intense or can be. I was stalking a deer archery hunting one time when a cougar (screamed?) (Not sure what the proper word is) and it sounded quite close. Im sure it was probably watching me stalk its deer and I couldn't see him. Of course the deer took off like they do

Oh, I'm sure you were kidding....
I just encounter so many people as in friends of friends or family that considered themselves hunters:s0114:...Dressed up like Elmer Fudd or the opposite like GI Joe and gonna go get themselves a animal...Driving the big bad 4x4 and the big bad rifle....I will see them after a day of hunting and they claim they hunted all day long and didn't see a thing ?...I look them over to see they are as clean and dry as I saw them in the morning....The week before after shave still lingering and the pit stick smell still as strong as ever...:s0155:...
I love to toss a little dig in when I can about people going hunting....Nothing bad intended,Just a Hey Man,Real Hunting is something like this....

Talk about easy, one time I shot a deer at the top of a little canyon. The deer rolled down the hill at least 400 yds to the bottom. Turns out there was a road at the bottom so all we had to do was find out how to get to that road and drive down there to pick up the deer. Thats some easy hunting

Huh. I was going by the picture in the following link, and others like it, when thinking it was a cougar track. Didn't think there would be any domestic dogs around where I found this, and thought it was awfully big for a coyote.

http://www.naturealmanac.com/cougars/notes.html

I will study the link you provided. Thanks!

I have been following cougar tracks for years,Studying the scat,Poop,Leavings of the critters I follow....I have learned that tracks can be tough,But a pile of poo covered by sticks and twigs with ribbed edges every inch or so in the poo it self is a dead give a way...I'm not a track expert by any means,But I do know a pile of Poo very well....If I spotted that track I would be looking for a pile to confirm.....If it is a cat track,It would be a small one,Unless the picture makes it look smaller than it really is...I'm correct a lot,But now and then I get tossed that curve to remind me I don't know it all :s0155:
I will always listen to any and all advise and tactics from people that have experience....
I'm always happy to share mine....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads