JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's a shame they killed the cat
Tranquilize it and relocate it would have been my call
You see know they are going to grow Gubberment to include killing Mt.Lions
I think we could all get along just fine with one less Illegal LOL

I'm guessing the 2 cats may have been litter mates kicked free by mommy, on their own.
Being in an area where they are used to seeing humans, and no hunting of lions to keep them at a safe distance,
as they would learn to fear humans,
but CA's freeze on hunting them just encourages them to hunt any small prey, such as pets and children, and sometimes adults
especially joggers and bikers.
They need to be hunted in order to reduce their numbers to a sustainable number that could hunt their regular prey and survive.
I think the hunting is getting pretty skimpy just look at the gaunt sides of that cat , and the fact that the cat was distracted by the backpack enough to drop the kid and haul that back pack up the tree instead. It could just as easily have been that child up the tree!
Gabby

I've read that cougars are highly inclined toward four-legged prey and an attack method that involves jumping on prey's back and biting head or neck from behind. They tend to not quite know how to attack an adult human unless the human falls, kneels, or bends over for some reason. So mostly they go for human children. Maybe we're seeing these attacks on bikers because they are bent over their bikes and present their backs in a way similar to the cougar's ordinary four-footed prey. In addition cougars often crouch on tree limbs overhanging paths so as to ambush animals passing beneath.

One of my great grandmas was a pioneer 'school marm' who had to ride her horse through many miles of cougar infested woods between the school and their cabin. She carried a rifle for protection against cougars. Family lore says the cougars would attack the horse, leaping down from a branch in ambush normally, knocking the human off. The human carried the rifle so as to kill cougar and save horse. Apparently a cougar presented with horse and rider was strongly preferentially inclined to attack the horse. At least, so says our family lore.

Reports, even when speaking on adults never mention size. I've heard several times of cougars attacking female joggers. As with the male bike rider are these smaller adults? Also being California, we never hear about cold weather or attacks in the rain or snow. Just curious.

I understand, you would probably never see the cat stalking you. I was recently walking on the Vernonia trail. A family walking an unleashed dog that broke away and ran to me. He was barking but his ears were still flopping. I didn't take it as an attack but still I didn't have a lot of time to react. I probably had more time than anyone would with a cougar attack that wouldn't be barking.

A friend of ours owns land between Baker and LaGrande. The first year we hunted there (2006) he told us of tracking an elk (not wounded) and having a "weird feeling". He turned around just in time to put a .338 bullet through a large cougar's chest as it was in mid air leaping at him. He was walking along, not stooped over. He's well probably 6'3" or better, too. Even after killing my elk, I didn't walk that property unarmed.

That cat's now on his wall. It's huge.

A friend of ours owns land between Baker and LaGrande. The first year we hunted there (2006) he told us of tracking an elk (not wounded) and having a "weird feeling". He turned around just in time to put a .338 bullet through a large cougar's chest as it was in mid air leaping at him. He was walking along, not stooped over. He's well probably 6'3" or better, too. Even after killing my elk, I didn't walk that property unarmed.

That cat's now on his wall. It's huge.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine in Alaska but his was a Moose!:confused:o_O

A long list of cats attacking unarmed citizens in Kaulifornia.:mad:

That one looked like it was starving, or diseased.:eek:
And possibly a young one...younger animals are "kicked out" of older animals territory and have to go to more populated areas (by people) to hunt etc. Dogs, cats, anything that looks edible to them are targets.Especially if they are moving fast, even on a motorcycle or bicycle. More and more of them now everywhere. I see tracks often a few hundred yards from rural farms/houses. Sightings and a few taken out by residents. I always carry whenever I hike but most likely will not encounter one but more likely now than in past years.

If those poor starving cougars could make their way to LA they could live among the score of homeless street campers. Free food, medical. Rats. It could be a real boon for the cali wild life viewing enthusiasts!

Save the cougars!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR