JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Costco is selling Emergency food supply for $ 74.99 in 5 gallon bucket with 275 servings.

Have anyone have experience with this? From costco book doesnt say much... Does it need to cook or its like mre? Please post your input. TIA

My inlaws got one of those last year, we all tried some. It's actually not bad if you throw some meat and spices in. We also soaked it in water for a while before cooking. It's a conveniently sized package for a few weeks of food.

We bought it at the sale price...received it about a week ago. 'Thrive' has a good reputation for quality. I'm glad we got it. We'll be using it on camping trips, etc, because even with the 15 to 30 year shelf life, the stuff should still be rotated regularly.

Keith

Glad to hear! Mine is in the mail right now, I caught it on the last day of the sale.

after thinking about this i dont think ill get any.

low calories, low fat, low protein, high sodium,a need for water and need for reliable heat source to cook.

Ill stick to just buying bulk and storing it properly and getting some MREs when I can. I dont think there is really such thing as a 'fix all' food kit, you have to build it from the ground up so you really know what your working with.

Looks to me like the value of these is that you could use them as a base of sorts in which to build a meal. For example, add a can or two of something else (canned meat, tuna, vegetables, whatever) to them. Could also keep one from having to open too many of their #10 cans of dehydrated or freeze dried foods at one time since these would provide a variety without opening too many #10s.

Good for the "bug-in" crowd, but takes too much water and fuel for the "bug-out" crowd.

I would hope that most people that plan on "bugging in" have a good amount of water stored. If not than food is the least of their worries.

For sure. We don't have a generator, but do have an emergency well bucket for the well. Plus the hot tub holds 450 gallons (have Berkefeld water filter if we need that).

It looks like this would provide 14 days of food based on a 2400 calorie diet. Not too bad for a bucket you can carry around, throw in the car, etc. It would cost you a lot more to achieve a 14-day supply of food if you were relying on Mountain House, MRE's, etc. The long shelf-life is also a plus.

In regard to water/fuel requirements, I feel like you need to plan for those anyway in a long-term survival situation (which this product fits into), so just plan for a little more.

I also agree with the idea that this would be good to give to neighbors, family, whoever.

Looks to me like the value of these is that you could use them as a base of sorts in which to build a meal. For example, add a can or two of something else (canned meat, tuna, vegetables, whatever) to them. Could also keep one from having to open too many of their #10 cans of dehydrated or freeze dried foods at one time since these would provide a variety without opening too many #10s.

Good for the "bug-in" crowd, but takes too much water and fuel for the "bug-out" crowd.

I guess it would depend on 'how" you plan on bugging out, on foot, yes this bucket wouldn't work but . . . In a vehicle such as a car/truck, camper or trailer or used at a remote pre-planned location such as a cabin or such this would be an excellent back up food source.
I was in Cosco Saturday, asked about these buckets and was told they were sold out and the product discontinued, so I went on line and ordered one without any issues. After I look at the contents I just might order a second to stash. One for the camper, just in case tshtf while were are away. For a cooking source, has anyone looked at the Coleman dual fuel stove? Runs on white gas as well as gasoline. It would be even more useful to me if it burned diesel.;)

Yes. It looked to me a like a pretty good space-saving backup for someone who knows they will have fuel and water available. I did order a couple of them online.

We do have a Coleman dual fuel stove. Have only used white gas in it, but have no complaints with it (it is several years old). Between the stove and our Lodge camp dutch ovens (with lots of firewood) we are covered pretty well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top