JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The amount of inaccurate information in this thread blows my mind. There are NOT 2 Invoices that dealers have for vehicles! The window sticker or "Monroney" label is posted with the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) i.e., desired selling price and is required by law to be posted. The Automobile Information Disclosure Act of 1958, commonly known as the Monroney Act or Price Sticker Act, requires the affixing of a retail price sticker to the windshield or side window of new vehicles with a gross vehicular weight rating of less than 8,500 pounds.

But that doesn't mean consumers pay that, except in rare instances for limited production or all new models (think 2007-2009 Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang with 10,000 units per year).

There is ONE invoice that lists the price paid by the dealer to the manufacturer for the vehicle. If the dealer is part of a local marketing group (written contract), the amount of advertising is itemized on the invoice, usually 1%-3% of each vehicle INVOICE as part of the cost of the vehicle.

What no one knows other than the dealer principle (owner or General Manager) is any manufacturer to dealer volume incentives paid after month end that can vary widely.

That said, I know of no other industry where consumers attempt to get a product for as close to what the business pays for it. If you owned a bar, how long would you stay in business if your customers paid you only 2-3% more than you did for the alcohol you're serving? What kind of talent would you be able to keep on staff? As a business owner, don't you think it's reasonable to expect to make something more in the 17% + return on your investment so you can pay the building lease, keep the lights on, retain quality employees, and so on?

I'm just saying I get that a vehicle purchase is a big expense. Ask yourself what is fair in terms of price you pay and the service expectations you have that go along with that! Find a dealer that has great reviews and make your vehicle purchase.

Yeah, dealerships really got it tough. That's why they spend millions of dollars a year on TV advertising. Like they believe humans are soooo stupid that they couldn't figure out where a dealership is located without a constant barrage of stupid commercials every 10 minutes. And crap like wanting almost $500.00 to adjust 16 valves on the top of the motor. Maybe it's that gasket made in Japan that costs $30.00 OEM on Ebay that the dealership charges $60.00? for? I know they wanted $122.00 for a fan belt from the dealership, and I got it on-line for $48.00. Could have got non-OEM for $18.00

To SOME, of the dealerships. Cry me a river.

I'm gonna piggyback here rather than start a new thread... My 70-something retired-teacher aunt has gotten sick of the POS Astro her mother foisted off on her 15 years ago being a "hole in the road you pour money into," and is looking to replace it sometime around August.

Right now she really likes the Chevy Equinox and Mazda CX-5 and insists on AWD, but we're figuring with a payment budget of 400/mo and a 9K down she's looking at an all-in maximum including taxes (which suck around Puget Sound)/titles/etc of around $33,000. Any of you guys who are "in the loop" have any advice that might help her walk away happy?

Costco's vehicle program has expanded over the years from new vehicles, to used vehicles, RVs, motorcycles, and pleasure craft. I have used them twice and both occasions were very pleasant. The customer feedback is very important to Costco so some of the experiences listed in this thread have likely resulted in that dealership losing their opportunity to participate. Depending on the car, the costco price can be surprisingly low. Now if only their mortgage program could be as customer oriented. In our case we were looking at a used CX5 AWD and the Costco price was about $2k lower than I could find anywhere else and the warranty was very good as well.

FYI I just signed up for TrueCar, what a load of garbage. Offers for only a few hundred off of MSRP while other verified purchasers have gotten thousands off just by walking in the dealership and asking.

Bumping with a quickie, need advice before Saturday.

My aunt's got her heart set on a certain Equinox she wants to buy Saturday morning, with an 860 credit score on a 39210 list with a 5k rebate and 9k down they're quoting 84 months at $398-410/mo with 7.99% APR. This seems a rather high APR if I'm recalling right that she's an 860 which is like Best Possible credit... I'm not gonna name dealership on an open forum, that'll have to be by DM.

If the dealership knows she has her heart set on a vehicle they have, they might not be motivated to deal.
This thread is about the costco auto program. Participating dealers will show you the costco member price after you present your costco card. Up and till you see the costco price, it is a normal car dealer transaction.

Get to the costco price then see if you like the deal.

Well it is her money soon to be the dealer's money with a high interest rate 7 year car loan.

See if you can get her to look at Truecar pricing. they give low, average, and high prices so you know where you are landing with your deal. After seeing the Truecar curve, most people want a better deal.

Good luck...

@Diamondback are you buying a brand new equinox?
*I'm* not (hell, my first time driving at all was yesterday, ten feet backing out of a parking space because she couldn't squeeze into the driver's seat with an F250 parkd right on top of her), my aunt was looking at a low-mileage former service-loaner '19 and a new '20, leaning toward the '20 at five grand more.

I'm not, my aunt was looking at a low-mileage former service-loaner '19 and a new '20, leaning toward the '20 at five grand more.
ok cool. i was gonna say...avoid 2010-2013 at all costs. the newer ones have been ok so far. i dont see many of them for mechanical. ive probably put new pistons in every 2010-2013 2.4 liter in the salem area LOL. i have one to do tomorrow.

My aunt's got her heart set on a certain Equinox she wants to buy Saturday morning, with an 860 credit score on a 39210 list with a 5k rebate and 9k down they're quoting 84 months at $398-410/mo with 7.99% APR. This seems a rather high APR if I'm recalling right that she's an 860 which is like Best Possible credit... I'm not gonna name dealership on an open forum, that'll have to be by DM.

Buddy of mine just bought a brand new Honda Pilot through Costco. He said it has leather a a bunch of options. Paid $37k. I thought that was an exceptional price. My SR5 4Runner was $36k. He asked me how I liked my 4Runner last week before he went shopping. I said it's great for me since I need to go in the dirt fairly often, but I told him if he is going to be on pavement, then he doesn't need the capability of the 4Runner and should go with something that gets much better gas mileage and is more comfortable. He bought the Pilot and is happy.

ok cool. i was gonna say...avoid 2010-2013 at all costs. the newer ones have been ok so far. i dont see many of them for mechanical. ive probably put new pistons in every 2010-2013 2.4 liter in the salem area LOL. i have one to do tomorrow.
Good to know... right now the stable is an '04 Astro and an '07 Trailblazer. The only things we're likely to go over 1-2yrs old at buy time are if I find that '83 Firebird or '87 Crown Vic I want... maybe a '93 Wrangler to build into a Jurassic Park rig.

Local credit unions have exceptional rates for new vehicles and good credit. Think 3.24% for 72 months, maybe a percent higher for 84. I signed someone up last week for 2.89% when they agreed to auto pay and e-statements. Most dealerships are connected with many credit unions electronically via the Credit Union Direct Lending (CUDL) program and can sign up eligible buyers to membership. Examples include Advantis Credit Union, SELCO, IQ Credit Union, Oregon State Credit Union, and others. Membership eligibility is usually determined by where you live (county and state). Happy Trails!

Does she belong to a credit union or bank that she can walk in with a pre-approved loan
Good question, unsure if Chase does that. Really wish she had waited to get this wild hair up her butt so I could get her in at my credit union...

Thanks, guys. AFAIC, if she comes out unhappy after refusing to give me time for proper advance planning or take the time and do it herself, she has nobody to blame but herself.

Good question, unsure if Chase does that. Really wish she had waited to get this wild hair up her butt so I could get her in at my credit union...

Thanks, guys. AFAIC, if she comes out unhappy after refusing to give me time for proper advance planning or take the time and do it herself, she has nobody to blame but herself.
Advise her to accept the $4500 factory rebate and finance with a credit union. She'll be tempted by the zero percent factory offer but will have to give up the rebate in doing so. Better off in the long run not taking the zero percent offer. Also, SUV's like the Equinox should go for much less than MSRP before applying the rebate. She should be able to get the 2020 Equinox with a MSRP of $39210 for $32,460 after rebates, maybe even a few hundred less. Happy Trails,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top