JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My rifle was about $400 a few years ago. Buck 110 was a gift, maybe $45. Binos are an old pair of old budget Leupolds a former co worker gave me when he was moving away. Rain jacket was $20 at a garage sale about 15 years ago (the bastard wouldn't haggle on price). Rain pants were another $20 back when Cabelas had rock bottom deals in their bargain cave. Boots are a pair of Keens I've had for a few years now. Gas is about $2.00 each way to my hunting grounds. The amount of money I spend of Snickers bars, beef jerky, Gatorade and coffee each hunting season probably costs twice what all my gear cost. Been pretty successful the last few years. Doing my homework has done more to help me bag an animal more than any piece of gear other than my rifle has.

Like Andy, most of my hunting is relegated to birds and rabbits anymore. So it's cheap. But, I have pretty much always used old army surplus crap, my workboots and my grandad's (now my moms) old .243 for deer. Still cheap. When I do elk next year I'll probably just go from my buddy's back deck out in clatskanie. If I can't safely get one from there, I'll at least be able to track them from there.
In all cases, not spending much more than the tag cost.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. A girl friend that used to love to follow me through the woods collecting pine cones in a paper sack. :eek: In Reno a marriage license is way cheaper than an out of state hunting license. :s0092: $20.00 was the cost of my hunting trip, 56 years ago and I've still got the trophy. :)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. A girl friend that used to love to follow me through the woods collecting pine cones in a paper sack. :eek: In Reno a marriage license is way cheaper than an out of state hunting license. :s0092: $20.00 was the cost of my hunting trip, 56 years ago and I've still got the trophy. :)
I'm confused, you still have the pine cones or married the girl that stalked you in the woods? :s0092:

Never been one for the fancy brand name camo that does nothing for ya. I use the basic gear and have been very successful over the years. 7 for 7 on bull elk with my bow and never spent piles of money on useless gadgets. A good bow, a knife and a pack board. Rifle hunting is more expensive in my experience over the years.....this year fuel is gonna kill us just getting over to the east side of the mountains

$5k is about right. If you don't count vehicle or general camping gear, or mountain bike, which I use to use to scout, or spotting scope,
I use for long distance shooting and other stuff….

I archery hunt, waterfowl hunt, and rifle hunt. Oh and let's not add hunting licenses, since I hunt Washington and Oregon. Out of state hunting is really economical. But my hunting partner (son) is in Oregon so I hunt there too. And fishing gear doesn't count, right, or my canoe? Or that fishing kayak I was looking at. Or the racks for my truck to haul it all.

And know what, it's all worth it.

Kids would hunt before high school back in the day, you knew who they were because Daddy's Winchester was in the back window of the High Boy.

Doubt they were out much coin and had more fun too.

Rifle hunting is more expensive in my experience over the years
But those bow manufacturers and arrow makers are certainly closing ground. Holy Cow! Buying the latest model Bowtech and outfitting it with quality sights, rest, quiver and arrows can run North of two grand real easily. Just getting a new string and cables for my son's bow last month was $140. Ouch! I'm glad I'm really content with my current setup, even though it's five or six years old. I don't even bother to go in and shoot the new models anymore.

But those bow manufacturers and arrow makers are certainly closing ground. Holy Cow! Buying the latest model Bowtech and outfitting it with quality sights, rest, quiver and arrows can run North of two grand real easily. Just getting a new string and cables for my son's bow last month was $140. Ouch! I'm glad I'm really content with my current setup, even though it's five or six years old. I don't even bother to go in and shoot the new models anymore.
Yeah and at $15 a shot if you don't find that arrow is a lot more than the 50 cents I spent on my reloads. Love bow hunting but it's by no means cheap. My wife lost 2 arrows last year. When she got in the pickup giving her a hard time I said you know that was $30. She didn't find me amussing.
that being said My varmit hunting set up is well north of the 5k mentioned. $1700 for rifle (Daniel Defense AR), $150 Bi-pod, $1600 Leupold VX6HD 3-18, $3100 minus $2700 in hotel rewards points Actually paid $390 Swarovski Nl binocs, I wouldn't have them if I had to pay the full $3100. $750 Foxpro X-wave. I've bought nice rifle and put Tasco world class scopes on them til I was able to save for the scope Of choice. just build you collection up as you can with the gear that suits you best. Will it make you a better hunter? Nope Thats gonna take better boots. which is to say your gonna need a lot of foot time to progress. but some of the better gear helps a good hunter do a little better. Is it worth the extra? That is only a question you or you wife can answer.

You've got to spend your money somewhere. I spend most of mine feeding two 458s that push 12 tons of plastic through the water. :)
Guns are a winter project. :s0093:
Getting too old and fat for shooting anything other than paper. :s0092:

Rifles, scopes, binocs, Spotter, tripod, reloading equipment, backpacks, meat packs, 2 sets of boots, 2 or 3 of each pants/shirts/jacket. 16x20 Davis tent, wood stove, cots/bags, chairs, tables. Chain saw, trailer, groceries, gas, Generator, countless of miscellaneous. Then, Buy something small as thank you to keep wife happy.
Coming home with tag soup.
$ priceless

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews