JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There is a house for sale which I would like to see, and potentially place an offer on. No HOA, nice grass yard, etc. It does however have a pool, and in addition to us having two young kids I don't want the maintenance expense or time consumption. Has anyone ever had an in ground pool removed and filled in? If so how much did it cost? I estimate that this pool is 50 feet by 50 feet.

My mom and dad had the same problem only with three small grandkids coming to visit. They looked hard at just having the nice big conventional dug older big backyard pool with diving board totally removed. That pool had a very bad history.

Then my folks discovered how nice a pool is in the hot weather months. What to do? The addressed the problem head on. When the grandkids could walk, they learned how to be bullet proof in the water. They learned to swim very well very young.

Very very well. It was like it was natural for them. My parents made the grandkids pool proof.

Don't remove, fill it.
Depending on access to free fill dirt and the pool location, it could be as little as a few hundred to fill.
Also have a plan as to what the yard scape will be. Future lawn, top soil, concrete patio? Pavers?
From mild to wild, covert to a storm shelter or wine cellar?

Thanks everyone. I also like bgdawgrr's idea to turn it into something else like a secret Cold War bunker. I could display my mementos from the FSU countries!

Watch them like hawks & teach them to swim.

Buddy of mines folks had an indoor pool back East, they weren't well off. The family just liked to swim.

All the kids in the fam earned swimming scholarships.

If you back fill it with dirt or gravel, knock some holes in the bottom so any ground water can drain out.
How accessible is the pool?

The lot is mostly flat and there is a lot of space surrounding the pool. I might have to Google some basic pool maintenance requirements to see whether there is any way to keep it drained half the year.

How much of the year would you use a pool if you decide to keep it?

I worked for an old gal for about 17 years, did all the yard work and grew a 15' x 75' garden, 19 fruit trees trimmed every year, etc. After she became infirm "I" became the pool boy! 10,000 gal in ground, kidney shaped. I enjoyed the pool in the summer months, but it needed heating for anyone to use it. It wasn't way too much work to keep it up, but if it decides to mess up in spite of your efforts to keep things properly balance, have fun. In THIS region, I wouldn't have a pool if you paid me to have it if I were the one having to keep it up.

We were contemplating buying a house at the coast......It had a large in-ground pool!!!! Who on earth puts a pool in 3 miles from the ocean on the central Oregon Coast?? The house was price pretty dang good though. A swimming pool is NOT an asset if you ever go to sell. It's a detractor/attractive nuisance.

I vote keep it as is.

Your kids are young now, you may not want to deal with it now.

That could change.

Cover it or use it as a play place empty.

If it is filled with dirt, and 10 years from now, its worthless.

It could be a potential selling item too, which I am guess the person listing it currently is boasting.

It could be a potential selling item too, which I am guess the person listing it currently is boasting.

SoCal, Arizona, Texas, the SE maybe. The pool I tended for a number of year was a detractor to the home selling after the old gal was gone in these parts. When a person goes to get insurance. :rolleyes: Maybe with 10'electrified fence W/razor wire, nah.

Ya, I'm from NV, pools where a bit more desirable there.

I get it it rains. However, the summers I've experienced since living here, a pool would be nice.

I own a hot tub so it's similar, but not the same. In the summer I turn it down to 96-98 and it's very refreshing to sit in when it is hot out.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top