JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Corvallis will begin to address a possible ban on open carry tomorrow. I will be there, but unless I feel better between now and then I will most likely be nothing more than the proverbial warm body.

<broken link removed>

The meeting went a little better than I expected. Public comment ran 9/2 opposed, but I suspect that the local "grass roots" demanding mommy chapter may put a call out for the next meetings.

The open carry portion opened with the Corvallis Chief of Police Jon Sassaman and Deputy City Attorney James Brewer saying that the proposal as it stands is a cut and paste of Portland's loaded carry ban. They said they believed it may run afoul of the 4th and 5th Amendments and that at least a few line items of the cut and paste should not be included (I forget which at this time). One of them also said that if it were to pass that police practices would not change.

When minutes and/or other info become available I will try to update.

I think you meant that the next Human Services Committee meeting will be on Oct. 21 at 2 PM in at 500 Madison Ave. and that it is likely to go to the City Council meeting on Nov. 3 at 6:30 PM.

The Human Services committee will pass the buck to the Corvallis City Council. The heads of Oregon Ceasefire and Moms Demand Action were both in attendance and both statements in support of the ordinance, as well as two others.

Both sides of those giving statements to the committee made arguments similar to those one would expect, but 4 things from the meeting stuck out to me;
  • Ward 1 Councilor Penny York's comment of her decision to recommend it being "colored" by her past negative experiences of firearms. Tragic as they were and saddening as they are, NONE would have been prevented by a loaded open carry ban.
  • Police Chief Jon Sassaman stated again that police practices would not change were such an ordinance in place.
  • Ward 7 Councilor Bruce Sorte stated that he saw no reason to recommend an ordinance of this nature if it was not addressing a problem or one likely to be a problem.
  • Bruce Sorte also made reference to "protests" with a possible mention of "threats" of same and a statement about Corvallis possibly being the new 'lightning rod' for them. This may have been a reference to the recently defeated Ashland loaded open carry ban and subsequent open carry protests.
Note the last line of James Day's piece in the GT:
"Sorte, however, noted that the majority of the emails he has received supported the ordinance."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top