JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Everything works as it should, locks up tight and no travel. Its just the barrel-cylinder alignment is a bit off, if I shine a light in the barrel I see a quarter moon of cylinder.

The usual cure for that problem is to custom fit an over sized hand by filing it down until you get the cylinder to lock up in battery spot on.

I'm embaressed to say its a Pietta .36 cal Remington. I know this is a very basic percussion revolver, but I think it has potential. So I should look for an oversized hand to fit? also I heard brass shimming material could be used in other areas to bring it into line.

Hi Taylor,
Don't think you need a hand or to Shim up anything as of now. You only have one Cylinder out? Is this right?
Are you using a Bownell 36 Cal Barrel Gage Tool for checking the Barrel to the Cylinder? How many 1000'S off is the Cylinder from the (Forceing cone) Barrel cylinder? Now you know that if it not cutting lead at the forceing clone? Thats OK for now, but can be repaired later. I think that it maybe off one of the Cylinder Notches or the bolt need to be cut a 1000 or so.
Were are you located? What part of the Valley?
I would stop and see before ordering anything.
Hope this helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

It seems all six chambers are affected, I didn't use any tools other than fitting a wooden dowel down the barrel and feeling obstruction(the cylinder) protruding in the way. If I shine a light down the barrel I can see the cylinder edge about 1/8".
I guess I'm going to read up on cylinder/barrel alignment. I appreciate all your advice and comments.

Parts might be found here............

VTI Replica Gun Parts

I've purchased parts from them before. It's really hard when dealing with Italian makers as there are different generations of production and sometimes the distributors will mess with changing parts even when it's the same model of revolver. All in all, it's a PIA.

After that......I never bought another Italian revolver.

You may need to "stretch" the hand a bit. But, IMHO I'd buy the book by Kuhnhausen before I even attempted something.

Aloha, Mark

This one is going to be a challenge if its 1/8". Dealing with kits guns is always iffy.

So is the cylinder actually locking in place? and if it does lock, does the timing need to advance a little or stop a little sooner?
What does the ratchet look like that is milled into the back of the cyclinder?

The cylinder stops to soon it needs to spin another 1/8", but it sure locks up tight. I took a magnifier and was looking at the bolt and hand, they have sharp edges that extended a bit, already scratching the star and scoring the cylinder. I'm going to disassemble and w/ a stone or file and 320 wet/dry hit everywhere lightly I see something that shouldn't be there.
I'm not sure what you mean by ratchet? is that the star? if so its all 1 piece.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top