Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Correcting a revolver's timing

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by taylor, Jan 26, 2013.

1. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I have a single action that is a little off, its not shaving lead but if I put a rod down the barrel I can definitely feel the edge of the cylinder in the way. Can an amateur correct this? are there any videos on it?

2. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hi Taylor,
    Look like you need to Range it. Whch mean you have to bend the fame. I know how to do it but don't have the tools
    Tony Portland, Oregon Area

3. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

It's fixable but requires knowing what you're doing.

I's be sending it back to the factory. They have the techs and parts to do the job right.

H

4. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

5. taylor

Everything works as it should, locks up tight and no travel. Its just the barrel-cylinder alignment is a bit off, if I shine a light in the barrel I see a quarter moon of cylinder.

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The usual cure for that problem is to custom fit an over sized hand by filing it down until you get the cylinder to lock up in battery spot on.

Silver Hand and (deleted member) like this.
  7. netcarrier

Hi Taylor,
    We do need Who made it and Model if DA/SA or just Single Action?

8. taylor

I'm embaressed to say its a Pietta .36 cal Remington. I know this is a very basic percussion revolver, but I think it has potential. So I should look for an oversized hand to fit? also I heard brass shimming material could be used in other areas to bring it into line.

9. netcarrier

Hi Taylor,
    Don't think you need a hand or to Shim up anything as of now. You only have one Cylinder out? Is this right?
    Are you using a Bownell 36 Cal Barrel Gage Tool for checking the Barrel to the Cylinder? How many 1000'S off is the Cylinder from the (Forceing cone) Barrel cylinder? Now you know that if it not cutting lead at the forceing clone? Thats OK for now, but can be repaired later. I think that it maybe off one of the Cylinder Notches or the bolt need to be cut a 1000 or so.
    Were are you located? What part of the Valley?
    I would stop and see before ordering anything.
    Hope this helps,

10. taylor

It seems all six chambers are affected, I didn't use any tools other than fitting a wooden dowel down the barrel and feeling obstruction(the cylinder) protruding in the way. If I shine a light down the barrel I can see the cylinder edge about 1/8".
    I guess I'm going to read up on cylinder/barrel alignment. I appreciate all your advice and comments.

11. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Parts might be found here............

VTI Replica Gun Parts

I've purchased parts from them before. It's really hard when dealing with Italian makers as there are different generations of production and sometimes the distributors will mess with changing parts even when it's the same model of revolver. All in all, it's a PIA.

After that......I never bought another Italian revolver.

You may need to "stretch" the hand a bit. But, IMHO I'd buy the book by Kuhnhausen before I even attempted something.

Aloha, Mark

12. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

This one is going to be a challenge if its 1/8". Dealing with kits guns is always iffy.

So is the cylinder actually locking in place? and if it does lock, does the timing need to advance a little or stop a little sooner?
    What does the ratchet look like that is milled into the back of the cyclinder?

13. taylor

The cylinder stops to soon it needs to spin another 1/8", but it sure locks up tight. I took a magnifier and was looking at the bolt and hand, they have sharp edges that extended a bit, already scratching the star and scoring the cylinder. I'm going to disassemble and w/ a stone or file and 320 wet/dry hit everywhere lightly I see something that shouldn't be there.
    I'm not sure what you mean by ratchet? is that the star? if so its all 1 piece.