JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am sure this has been covered before but I am about to shorten the barrel on an older Mossberg 500 and I would like to know where the "official" starting point is to correctly measure the barrel to keep it legal. Thanks!

I am sure this has been covered before but I am about to shorten the barrel on an older Mossberg 500 and I would like to know where the "official" starting point is to correctly measure the barrel to keep it legal. Thanks!

Just include the chamber when you measure and you have it. Make sure to keep it 18" or over though.

Install the barrel on the gun, close the action, and put a wooden dowel down there barrel against the bolt face and measure to the end of the barrel. This is the correct method of measuring length.

Hey that will work too, but the cops just hook a tape on the end of the barrel and measure to the end of the chamber. All my barrels measure the same inside or outside and bolt face are flush with the chamber when action is closed.

Hey that will work too, but the cops just hook a tape on the end of the barrel and measure to the end of the chamber. All my barrels measure the same inside or outside and bolt face are flush with the chamber when action is closed.

The only flaw with that method is that it doesn't work too well if you don't know exactly where the chamber starts, such as when the barrel has extensions that go into the receiver, or if the barrel cannot be easily removed.

I see your point on that, but I don't think that would be a factor on his old 500. To be on the safe side with all shotguns, I believe your method would be better. Swoop'

OregonShooter.com | Articles | How do I measure a barrel legally?

Looks like there is your exact answer. I'ld cut it to 18-1/2" to be on the safe side, and to allow you to recrown it later if you need to.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top