JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Ye Ole Kate strikes again. Honestly, this is government overreach that makes 9/11 and the Patriot Act look like a grade school exercise...

:s0054:

It seems to have been sparked by Inslee who shut down all fishing/hunting in WA and then people from WA started fishing in OR.

I just don't understand the fishing ban in WA except as politically motivated.

EDIT: Pot stores open in WA but you can't go to the middle of nowhere and catch a fish by yourself:

Poop study shows virus cases undercounted...

Apparently there is more wide spread infection - but symptoms are mild, so not to the attention of the PowersThatBe.

Of course, we have read that. People being turned away and told to "self quarantine" so this should not be surprising.

"Biobot Analytics, along with researchers from MIT, Harvard and Brigham and Women's Hospital, tested samples of wastewater from an urban treatment plant in March, according to a report posted to the preprint server medRvix. Researchers found the amount of coronavirus particles in the samples was far higher than expected, indicating there are likely a lot more people infected with the virus than the official count, Newsweek reported. "

Screen-Shot-2020-04-10-at-8.18.16-AM-600x275.png

Screen-Shot-2020-04-10-at-8.20.21-AM-600x271.png

The trend looks hopeful. But ... too much is unknown.

It took a whole lot of arbitrary assumptions to get from number of viral fragments in waste water to number of people infected. For this to be real science, you would need to know how much virus average symptomatic person sheds, how rapidly "traces" of virus deteriorate in sewer system, etc. Only if you knew those numbers for sure would you be able to infer that more people are infected than we thought because there is 5X more trace virus in sewage than predicted. Either of the assumed values for the two parameters I mentioned could have been off by 5X.

"Professor Hinkley" is an anonymous blogger who doesn't even have the cajones to publish under his real name. Not my idea of a credible source.

I also note, real professors are unlikely to refer to themselves as "Professor Whatever." Their students normally either call them "Dr. Whatever" or by their first name.

It took a whole lot of arbitrary assumptions to get from number of viral fragments in waste water to number of people infected. For this to be real science, you would need to know how much virus average symptomatic person sheds, how rapidly "traces" of virus deteriorate in sewer system, etc. Only if you knew those numbers for sure would you be able to infer that more people are infected than we thought because there is 5X more trace virus in sewage than predicted. Either of the assumed values for the two parameters I mentioned could have been off by 5X.
Agree this is a very poor way to estimate # of cases. A single person could make trillions of viruses in a short period of time. How many variables are there to try to
make an estimation for effluent? Way, way too many. I've done many years of water quality testing and believe me u need to minimize number of variables or your multiple assumptions totally overpower the actual data and make it almost worthless.

Last Edited:
Oh great this will end well.

Why aren't the grocery unions screaming at the stores to provide better protection for the checkers? They are being breathed on, coughed on by hundreds of shoppers. The tiny sneeze shields they put up are a joke. They are handling thousands of products that were possibly contaminated by the shoppers. The checkers should have N95 masks and face shields. Better yet a completely enclosed Plexiglas cage. When a checker catches the virus, they will pass it on to all the shoppers going through their check stand.

Why aren't the grocery unions screaming at the stores to provide better protection for the checkers? They are being breathed on, coughed on by hundreds of shoppers. The tiny sneeze shields they put up are a joke. They are handling thousands of products that were possibly contaminated by the shoppers. The checkers should have N95 masks and face shields. Better yet a completely enclosed Plexiglas cage. When a checker catches the virus, they will pass it on to all the shoppers going through their check stand.

Because, in my experience, most unions are just there to collect dues, not actually do anything on behalf of their members. YMMV

Has anyone died of the garden variety flu this year?
Serious question.
See post #6020.

also this:

See post #6020.

also this:

Assuming the graph is what it says it is - i.e., ALL deaths from all causes, that isn't surprising as I would expect deaths to decline drastically since most people are staying home, much fewer cars are on the road, etc. - but again, this thread is about COVID-19, not the flu, not about the US death rate overall (although that would be an interesting knock on effect in another context).

As for counting deaths as caused by CV if infected with CV, I don't think that is entirely wrong. If I go into the ER with CV and eventually die from heart failure due to CV directly or indirectly, then I died from CV. If I go out and die from a car wreck not related to CV but I had CV, then not - but I don't think that is what they are counting.

Because this thread is about COVID-19, which isn't the flu?

I thought by now I would have a little more cred around here than that!

I am not trying to be a provocateur. It IS a COVID-19 thread and I expressed a very legitimate question.

Our entire country depends on our policy makers having reliable information to make good, reasoned decisions.

So a simple question about accounting methods does not mean I want humanity to die a horrible, disease ridden death.

It means I have a brain and would like to understand how the numbers work.

Assuming the graph is what it says it is - i.e., ALL deaths from all causes, that isn't surprising as I would expect deaths to decline drastically since most people are staying home, much fewer cars are on the road, etc. - but again, this thread is about COVID-19, not the flu, not about the US death rate overall (although that would be an interesting knock on effect in another context).

As for counting deaths as caused by CV if infected with CV, I don't think that is entirely wrong. If I go into the ER with CV and eventually die from heart failure due to CV directly or indirectly, then I died from CV. If I go out and die from a car wreck not related to CV but I had CV, then not - but I don't think that is what they are counting.

Perhaps i am reading the chart wrong, but in the upper left corner it states "Pneumonia and Influenza Mortality.." comparing several different seasonal death rates.
The point is it makes no sense that death rates take a drastic downturn in the middle of a seasonal outbreak in a two week period, while Covid 19 deaths escalate. We should have concurrent reports of both, but it appears that Influenza deaths are being under reported.
As i read it these were not all deaths of all causes, (approx.6,700 PER DAY nationwide),only "Flu"

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads