JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Iceland

Well, I was honestly hoping that this would be a big nothing-burger and we'd find out that not only did the virus make landfall weeks earlier than thought but that many, many more people have already been exposed...increasing our R0 value but decreasing lethality and projected hospitalizations/deaths.

It's good news that many people are asymptomatic. Not so good that less than 1% have shown up positive. This would seem to indicate that most in Iceland have not yet squared with the virus (granted, how good is the sample?)...So, projections for hospital overrun and death, I assume, won't be able to be adjusted based on this data?

I truly think this is going to go endemic and, like a cold, no long term immunity will present itself. So, let's do what we need to do to get enough ventilators stored, ICU beds, supplemental oxygen systems, to handle surges from here on out...and get people back to work, understanding that our healthcare system will now have to absorb this along with everything else annually.

If the goal were eradication, then I could see shelter in place until eradicated as an effective means of reaching that goal. But if that goal is fantastical, then we need to plan for the more realistic. If realism means treating this as endemic, then we may as well get back to work and ramp up on what's needed to handle patient surges.

1586287918490.png

Very interesting article, but it's very possible what he was sick with wasn't CV-19, and he's had an asymptomatic case since then, which is why he shows the antibodies.

I have a hard time believing that people had this so long ago. We would've seen the hospitals in affected areas full much sooner.

I have a hard time believing that people had this so long ago. We would've seen the hospitals in affected areas full much sooner.

I don't agree with this statement.

Prior to anybody hearing about the corona, when people got sick with flu-like symptoms they didn't panic thinking they were going to die and rush to the hospital. They would treat it like the flu and be sick. If it was bad, they chalk it up to a bad case of the flu.

Then when everybody learned about it, and we started being told everybody was going to die, well now as soon as somebody suspects they have the corona they rush to the hospital. Psychological effect of media telling us millions are doomed.

Very interesting article, but it's very possible what he was sick with wasn't CV-19, and he's had an asymptomatic case since then, which is why he shows the antibodies.
See the last paragraph; 2 positive tests, then 2 negative tests. It could be an issue of test reliability.

Also, did you look to see what CGTN stands for? China Global Television Network based in Beijing. It could very well be in China's interest to give the impression that the virus was circulating widely in Nov and Dec prior to the outbreak in Wuhan, as they attempt to do in the 2nd half of the article.

I don't agree with this statement.

Prior to anybody hearing about the corona, when people got sick with flu-like symptoms they didn't panic thinking they were going to die and rush to the hospital. They would treat it like the flu and be sick. If it was bad, they chalk it up to a bad case of the flu.

Then when everybody learned about it, and we started being told everybody was going to die, well now as soon as somebody suspects they have the corona they rush to the hospital. Psychological effect of media telling us millions are doomed.
Uh.... I really doubt the hundreds of thousands of people admitted to the hospital for low blood O2 levels due to covid-19, and the thousands in ICU on vents are there because they are just panicking from the media.
:rolleyes:

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews