JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I was at a Urgent Care Clinic and a hospital ER today.
( Not virus related. )

My mom had an issue, non-life threatening, but blood involved, so I took her to Tigard Providence Urgent Care.
Screening at the door - why are you here, been out of the country, been exposed, have symptoms

Wait isolated -- they spread patients around the waiting area.

Nurse did triage on my mom and sent us up to St. Vincent's. (Beyond what they can do currently.) As is normal, I am with here while this happens.

Get to the ER door, but cannot go all the way in, the inner door was closed. Someone saw us and came out to triage - this is between inner and outer doors. Why are you here, but none of the screener questions. But, I was stopped as mom does not live with me, so I could not come in even to the waiting area. If you have been to St. V ER, you know they usually get the questions near the door, and occasionally send to you to "chairs" if there is a line. Tents are outside the ER, there are marked paths around them.

Now, I have to wait at home to get a call from the ER nurse assigned my mom's care ...

While I was typing this I just got a call that they will be discharging my mom shortly.

And....

Initially, the government said the results may have been due to "environmental contamination," rather than infection. But in an update last week, the government said that it had consulted with local public health experts, as well as the World Organization for Animal Health, to conclude that dog did in fact have a low-level infection in "what is likely to be a case of human-to-animal transmission."

Taken From: https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/03/13/dogs-pets-coronavirus/

As for the WHO's comment (noted in post #5,419). Cough, cough.... On WHO.

Aloha, Mark

My wife and I have become much more careful with our food, each day evaluating what is likely to spoil first and making something with that rather basing our decision on what might be easiest or most wanted at the moment. Our food waste is down I would estimate -- we don't make extra now and then let it slowly decompose in the fridge and if there is extra, we actually eat it. If there is a raw ingredient we can't handle all of right away, we process the remainder for storage, either dehydrating or freezing it.

We also eat more parts of what we buy. I often buy 2 pound packs of mushrooms at Cash & Carry but most of the time, a portion of them don't get eaten quickly enough and get tossed. This time though, we ate what we wanted sauted with other veggies and I dehydrated the remainder and vacuum sealed them rather than leaving them in the fridge. Secondly, with mushrooms we usually chop off a big part of the stem and consider that waste. Now, rather than toss those this time, we ate them (I did chop off the stems for dehydrating, but we suated those with whole mushrooms rather than throw them out). We're doing this sort of evaluation and conservation with everything.

Last Edited:
Arrest warrant issued for Tampa megachurch pastor Rodney Howard-Browne who defied stay at home order and held crowded and packed church services (most likely with the threat of hellfire to his constituents). The only comment I can make about the pastor is he looks more like a mafia godfather than a Christian pastor. :p

Tough situation, where does civil rights cross state of emergency? If his church ends up infecting and killing 10,000s of people, would that be considered violation of civil rights and would they foot the medical costs?

Supposedly, church communities have been one of the highest infection rates in the country, as they spend long hours in close quarters together.

He claimed his building has technology that could kill any virus and that the virus would not be able to spread there due to his church's special technology :rolleyes:

On Sunday, Howard-Browne defended his decision to keep the church open in a video posted to his YouTube channel, claiming the building had the technology to eradicate any virus.

"We brought in 13 machines that basically kill every virus in the place," Howard-Browne said. "If they sneeze it shoots it down like at 100 miles per hour and it will neutralize it in a split second."

Maybe we are just reading different stories but.....

First dog to test positive for coronavirus has died in Hong Kong

Not exactly the "smoking gun" because no autopsy was done to the dog though I'd have some fear for any dog's health and well being (if they were to be the sniff tester).

Aloha, Mark

PS......same dog? Though a different report perhapas....

The dog, whose infection was discovered in February, is believed to be the first known case of human-to-animal transmission of the virus.

Taken from: First dog to test positive for coronavirus dies
Same dog, different story. See para 3 in
Dog in Hong Kong tests positive for 'low level' of coronavirus
For some reason it won't let me copy and paste.
I'd say the verdict is still out. Dog was negative for antibody response. 17 year old dog dies after stress of 2 weeks in quarantine facility away from owner. Only weak positive test in the first place.

Seems like if dogs were susceptible there would be many more reports by now. But I'm not saying it's not possible.

Tough situation, where does civil rights cross state of emergency? ...

...He claimed his building has technology that could kill any virus and that the virus would not be able to spread there due to his church's special technology :rolleyes:

They probably have UVC lights in their HVAC system which will kill the virus once it gets into the system, but won't do squat until the air gets into the duct work which means everyone is sitting there breathing each others exhalations.

As for the 1A, time and place restrictions are already a thing. He could have easily live streamed the service on the internet and with a little effort, provided a call in line for people to listen in if they don't have or don't know how to use the internet. The cynical side of me figures it's all about the dollars and that's why he's willing to take the immoral route of needlessly endangering lives. Straight up greed.

EDIT: on the "shooting down the virus" bit -- one hopes he isn't exposing the congregation directly to UVC -- the reason it works is the same reason it would be a skin cancer risk. It destroys genetic material.

Same dog, different story. See para 3 in
Dog in Hong Kong tests positive for 'low level' of coronavirus
For some reason it won't let me copy and paste.
I'd say the verdict is still out. Dog was negative for antibody response. 17 year old dog dies after stress of 2 weeks in quarantine facility away from owner. Only weak positive test in the first place.

Seems like if dogs were susceptible there would be many more reports by now. But I'm not saying it's not possible.

It takes a while for antibodies to show up in a host. It is the antigen (the infection) that shows up first. That is why they have tests for both in many pathogen tests - they test for the antigen, then later test for the antibody.

They probably have UVC lights in their HVAC system which will kill the virus once it gets into the system, but won't do squat until the air gets into the duct work which means everyone is sitting there breathing each others exhalations.

Agreed. Many large AC systems have UVC lights in them to kill pathogens. You can get them for your home. But there is no safe way for them to have UVC shining on people such that it would kill pathogens - it would harm the people too.

It takes a while for antibodies to show up in a host. It is the antigen (the infection) that shows up first. That is why they have tests for both in many pathogen tests - they test for the antigen, then later test for the antibody.
According to the story, the dog was tested several time during quarantine:
"The Pom had been returned home Saturday after being isolated at a government facility since Wednesday, Feb. 26. Officials used nasal, oral and blood samples to repeatedly test the pup for the virus while in quarantine, the Morning Post reported."

Last Edited:
According to the story, the dog was tested several time during qurantine:
"The Pom had been returned home Saturday after being isolated at a government facility since Wednesday, Feb. 26. Officials used nasal, oral and blood samples to repeatedly test the pup for the virus while in quarantine, the Morning Post reported."
Did they get the pup home in time for the family dinner?

Everybody came with their own sheet music and avoided direct physical contact. ...

Experts said the choir outbreak is consistent with a growing body of evidence that the virus can be transmitted through aerosols – particles smaller than 5 micrometers that can float in the air for minutes or longer.

The World Health Organization has downplayed the possibility of transmission in aerosols ...

Screw WHO. Two are dead after following its advice.

In a striking change of decision, liberal, anti-gun New Jersey goes to the right of Washington as Governor reverses decision, declaring gun stores as essential businesses during the Pandemic

The governor quoted that the federal guidelines prompted his change, but who doesnt doubt that Inslee and Newsom will scoff these federal guidelines until mandated by a Federal judge to do otherwise.

The rest of your post I could agree with. However......not with the first sentence.

Example: The Netherlands has recalled 600,000 coronavirus face masks it imported from China after discovering they were faulty

Or maybe we just disagree about what is purposefully done vs. an accident?

Aloha, Mark

I meant purposefully as in the intent to cause infection by knowingly degrading or tampering with a product. While purposefully using crap parts, techniques, or workmanship may lead to the same thing, there is a difference there in intent...one has malice while the other simple incompetence.

But, at the end of the day, their intent matters little in our response to it.

Cheers,

Arrest warrant issued for Tampa megachurch pastor Rodney Howard-Browne who defied stay at home order and held crowded and packed church services (most likely with the threat of hellfire to his constituents). The only comment I can make about the pastor is he looks more like a mafia godfather than a Christian pastor. :p

Tough situation, where does civil rights cross state of emergency? If his church ends up infecting and killing 10,000s of people, would that be considered violation of civil rights and would they foot the medical costs?

Supposedly, church communities have been one of the highest infection rates in the country, as they spend long hours in close quarters together.

He claimed his building has technology that could kill any virus and that the virus would not be able to spread there due to his church's special technology :rolleyes:

Still waiting for these "Christian" leaders to head to an ER and lay hands on COVID-19 sufferers.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top