JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
And who said they were?
Feel free to wallow in the " next great disaster".
I'll continue to read along, as I see fit.
Thank you
Haven't seen any panic or wallowing here as of yet. I enjoy reading this thread and many others on here for the news.
Many post interesting articles I wouldn't see elsewhere.

I like the perspectives given, both sides. Please don't post things that are directly condescending to others, because it will devolve into an argument that gets this thread deleted.

Last Edited:
You and everyone else apparently...
People need to chill and live their lives.
Wash your hands if you must...But please panic privately.

It seems you are utterly unconcerned with this virus, as most here are simply expressing concern and you're dismissing those responses as panic.

Living in the real world as most of us do, what data is it that you find so comforting? I'd love to be similarly comforted.

Wuhan, a place you probably didn't know existed as recently as Christmas, is in the news and for all the wrong reasons. This article was dated 28 January and I recall hearing about it then but I'm just now making the connection to Wuhan.

What an amazing coincidence we have here:

*China's level 4 bio-weapons lab is in Wuhan.

*Wuhan is coincidentally the epicenter for COVID19, which is now the biggest quarantine of humans in 100 years for a seemingly uncontrollable outbreak adding thousands of more infections daily. Up 3000 more infections just today, and another 100 deaths.

And the trifecta:

Harvard professor Dr. Charles Lieber indicted for lying about connections and smuggling research and technology to Wuhan university.

Harvard professor among three charged with lying about Chinese government ties

Harvard professor among three charged with lying about Chinese government ties
By Veronica Stracqualursi and Sheena Jones, 28 Jan 2020.

"A Harvard University professor and two other Chinese nationals were federally indicted in three separate cases for allegedly lying to the US about their involvement with China's government, the US attorney for the district of Massachusetts announced Tuesday.

Federal authorities told reporters the cases highlighted the "ongoing threat" posed by China using "nontraditional collectors" like academics and researchers to steal American research and technology.

Dr. Charles Lieber, 60, who is the chair of Harvard's Chemistry and Chemical Biology Department, is accused of lying about working with several Chinese organizations, where he collected hundreds of thousands of dollars from Chinese entities
, US Attorney Andrew Lelling said at a news conference.

The complaint alleges that Lieber had lied about his affiliation with the Wuhan University of Technology (WUT) in China and a contract he had with a Chinese talent recruitment plan to attract high-level scientists to the country.

...Yanqing is accused of accessing US military websites and sending US documents and information to China, according to documents.

Last week, a cancer researcher, Zaosong Zheng, was indicted for trying to smuggle 21 vials of biological material out of the US to China and lying about it to federal investigators, Lelling said.

Zaosong, 30, whose entry was sponsored by Harvard University, had hidden the vials in a sock before boarding the plane, according to Lelling.

"This is not an accident or a coincidence. This is a small sample of China's ongoing campaign to siphon off American technology and know-how for Chinese gain," Lelling said...."

Oregon man breaks quarantine, sneaks on flight back to US.

Thats not funny

@Unicykle agree. This is how things break down. Many in society today seem to not care about personal accountability. Expect more people behaving like this fellow.

I think we'll know by the end of March if the Coronavirus is a bust or booming on this continent.

That dude is a selfish Jackazz!

US infection rates have now nearly doubled to 29. Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Keep in mind, we're about 2 months behind where China was and in early January China had only ~50 infections. In less than a month that figure jumped to over 72,000. So we in the US are not in the clear. Potentially 5 million exposed people escaped China in December and January and fled to other parts of the world including perhaps thousands to the US.

FEMA has a brief on pandemic influenza. It would be smart to review this with your loved ones to limit exposure and spread. Course Summary

That dude is a selfish Jackazz!
Selfish jerk to do that. Knowingly break quarantine and risk everyone on the journey, and risk a room full of people where he is giving his "talk." And everyone they get secondarily infected. Potentially exposed everyone on the airplanes, at the airports, traveling in lots of directions, everyone in WA and OR that comes in contact with him, the rental car, etc.

I wonder if his arrival at SEATAC has anything to do with the 712 new people Washington is monitoring for COVID19?

Washington state monitoring 712 possible COVID19 patients. Official source. See this link.

The additional 14 cases are evacuees from the Diamond Princess cruise ship. The increase is not due to transmission in the US. Also, 29 is the active case count. It's not the same thing as an infection rate.

Yes, I believe you are correct in that the increase in cases is due to some infected from the DP cruise ship coming home. This was being tracked for days, and I had mentioned it a few times. It doesn't change the fact we now have about twice as many infected here now than yesterday. They are in contact with American medical folks and shedding biomaterials on US soil. Hopefully there's not further transmission. Hopefully none are released prematurely like in San Diego or break quarantine like that Oregon resident.

I believe we still won't know how bad this is in the US for another 2-4 weeks, possibly. That will conclude incubation periods for anyone that escaped China in mid-January or shortly thereafter. If we see a spike before mid-March, that means it's escaped and spreading out of control here with no timeline backstop... keeping in mind it will likely repeat what happened in China going from 0 to 70,000 infections in a month and resulting in lockdown quarantine of the population to stop the spread.

Washington's now monitoring another 30+ patients for possible COVID19, total of 746, just 24 hours later. And has 1 pending test result. 1 confirmed infected.

Makes you wonder how many of those people have traveled into Oregon and elsewhere.

I also wonder if the PUI are just suppose to self quarantine or what. I imagine they don't have somebody watching them all day everyday. So honor system. You really think all 700+ are just going to stay home for 14 days. I'm guessing after day 5 most people will be running out of groceries and whatnot. I work in the service industry and see it all the time. People just dripping snot,sneezing coughing all over the place. " sorry bro I needed my almond milk and apple cider vinegar".

On a good note I have a interview tomorrow and if all goes well and we're not all infected in the next few weeks I'll be running a front end loader and doing shipping receiving and the likes.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads