JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
You're really questioning if medicine has exponentially advanced in the last 100 years?

Come on man.I know you like to post divisive stuff but that's just silly.
Actually, aside from vaccines, our ability to deal with virus-transmitted disease has advanced little in the last hundred years. The big differences in public health then and now are because of our ability to deal with bacteria-caused diseases through discovery and use of antibiotics, improved sanitation, and vaccines against both bacterial and viral diseases. With a new virus for which there is no vaccine, we are only slightly better off than we were in 1918.

There is a reason why viruses are so much less tractable than bacteria. Bacteria are living cells. They have some biochemical pathways different from ours. So we can develop/discover antibiotics that interfere with one of the biochemical processes bacteria have that we dont have, thus killing the bacteria and not harming us. However, viruses are not living things. They are rogue bits of genetic info. They mostly use the machinery in our own cells to reproduce. We cant screw up that machinery without killing ourselves along with the virus. There are just a few steps that the virus performs that depend upon machinery of its own that is carried along in the virus capsule along with the DNA or RNA or that is coded for by its own genetic material that can serve as targets for a "magic' bullet, something that kills the virus but not the person.

We know profoundly more about viruses than we did a hundred years ago. We are not really profoundly better at treating viral diseases. We actually are profoundly better at preventing them via vaccines, however.

Funny Government reaction to COVID-19, not just in USA

"Residents of South Africa are scratching their heads about some of the restrictions on commercial activity imposed by the government with the stated goal of reducing the spread of the coronavirus. For instance, stores can sell only closed-toe shoes. They can sell short-sleeved shirts only if they are advertised as to be worn under jackets or jerseys. And T-shirts can be sold only if it is made clear they are to be worn as undergarments. "

Identification. Symptom recognition. Treatment. Vaccines.

Duh.
This applies to only a small range of diseases--those spread by well-known pathogens with well-defined symptoms for which cures and vaccines exist. It does not apply to any new disease.

In addition, even after much research and after the disease becomes easy to diagnose, we may or may not be able to develop any treatments. With bacteria-caused diseases, we usually can. They are usually sensitive to one or more antibiotics. With virus-caused diseases we usually cant treat them at all. Such as the viruses--some of which are corona viruses-- that cause the common cold. In other cases after massive research efforts we have drugs that help control the viral disease, but dont usually cure it. Such as AIDS.

It may or may not be possible to develop a vaccine to any particular disease, bacterial or viral. Efforts to develop a vaccine for malaria have been going on for decades, to no avail. There is no general vaccine for the flu. Only temporarily effective vaccines against certain lines of the flu, and they keep changing.

@OldBroad44 your posts have good info in them and are appreciated. As far as the last 100 years, although we may not have advanced as quickly with virus's we are still exponentially more prepared to deal with them. From the way infectious disease is handled to treatments and follow up care we are light years ahead of where we were in 1918.

I think constant comparisons to the 1918 flu is reaching pretty far. But I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

@OldBroad44 your posts have good info in them and are appreciated. As far as the last 100 years, although we may not have advanced as quickly with virus's we are still exponentially more prepared to deal with them. From the way infectious disease is handled to treatments and follow up care we are light years ahead of where we were in 1918.

I think constant comparisons to the 1918 flu is reaching pretty far. But I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.
If I get sick, I don't care with what, I will be much happier with today's treatments over those of 1918.

We have been as I have been posting we are .have been scammed by the so called experts.the politicians and government employees and the media. Lets ge back to worrying about the big Earthqualke and west of I 5 being toast and a tidal wave destroying Portland !

I want to say, even with comparing cover to the 1918 flu, I will always prefer to be living now with our current medical knowledge. I think when I say that we need to compare this current pandemic to others, is simply to find what we can do and should not do till we get more knowledge, Even today nobody knows everything that is needed to know about cover-19, most of what we have been doing is what other Virus and Bacteria have done in the past. Like testing for antibodies, we do not know how long they last in a person who tests positive or why so many people show no symptoms while others seem to fall over like a dead leaf. We do know some contributing factors, like age, overweight, diabetes, and those is health compromized immune systems among other things put you at a higher risk. We will know more in a year, in 2 years, in 3 years, than we know today. Everyone really needs to learn to stay calm and carry on, taking this one day at a time, listen to new information and evaluating where you stand on this. Remember the ocean will always erode away the rock.

We have been as I have been posting we are .have been scammed by the so called experts.the politicians and government employees and the media. Lets ge back to worrying about the big Earthqualke and west of I 5 being toast and a tidal wave destroying Portland !
Now we know who wants a quicker trip to the beach.;););););)

Regarding the treatment of viruses, even without new therapies, for COVID-19 we have many more options than we would have in 1918. The issue is finding out which combination of existing antiviral treatments may be effective (eg, in HK they are studying interferon beta-1b, lopinavir-ritonavir, and ribavirin in combination with standard of care).

HIV can be prevented if antiviral prophylaxis is initiated early. We've also basically cured hepatitis C and now that knowledge is turning towards hepatitis B.

Modern medicine has advanced a lot regarding the treatment of viruses in the past century.

Regarding the treatment of viruses, even without new therapies, for COVID-19 we have many more options than we would have in 1918. The issue is finding out which combination of existing antiviral treatments may be effective (eg, in HK they are studying interferon beta-1b, lopinavir-ritonavir, and ribavirin in combination with standard of care).

HIV can be prevented if antiviral prophylaxis is initiated early. We've also basically cured hepatitis C and now that knowledge is turning towards hepatitis B.

Modern medicine has advanced a lot regarding the treatment of viruses in the past century.
And yet they cant cure the common cold.

Can't cure stupidity yet either. :p:D
fixstupidbysedation.jpg

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews