JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm a retired police detective, with over 30 years of service, from San Diego to Portland. I support constitutional carry 100%. The Constitution says; "... the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." Not just some of the people, or only government people, but "THE PEOPLE." When someone abuses that right and causes harm to others, throw their bubblegum in prison.

Criminals are going to be armed regardless of any law or policy and I firmly believe in the right of armed self defense. Probably because I've had to deal with results of armed predators victimizing innocent, law abiding people too many times. I would oppose however, an attempt by the federal government to "organize" nationwide carry. My fear is that it would accomplish nothing more than registration and regulation.

Sadly, some officers either by department policy, or personal bias, believe that civilians should not be armed. What they don't comprehend is that "when seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

Cops dont make laws. Not interested in their opinion.

Personally, perhaps no, but from the perspective that they are the ones charged with enforcing the law, I do want to know what they think. If they generally have a pro-gun attitude and I have to have some kind of interaction with them, perhaps I'll get a more fair treatment. Get cops that don't think people should carry, or maybe shouldn't own certain types of guns and maybe that's more of a problem.

I think any LEO should be pro-gun, should be part of the job requirements - can't get your head to a place where you're okay with a constitutionally armed populace, and you're likely to infringe on those rights.

So, from that point of view, I am interested in knowing their POV. As I've been told, south of say, Eugene or east of Bend, you're more likely to find LE's that not only support our rights but won't enforce BS laws like SB941.

Personally, perhaps no, but from the perspective that they are the ones charged with enforcing the law, I do want to know what they think. If they generally have a pro-gun attitude and I have to have some kind of interaction with them, perhaps I'll get a more fair treatment. Get cops that don't think people should carry, or maybe shouldn't own certain types of guns and maybe that's more of a problem.

I think any LEO should be pro-gun, should be part of the job requirements - can't get your head to a place where you're okay with a constitutionally armed populace, and you're likely to infringe on those rights.

So, from that point of view, I am interested in knowing their POV. As I've been told, south of say, Eugene or east of Bend, you're more likely to find LE's that not only support our rights but won't enforce BS laws like SB941.

I agree with every point you made, but I would add that the view point of a LEO matters much more then what has been stated! If I were to have to defend my self and that involved use of a fire arm, where the LEO's personal beliefs lie can make all the difference in how they respond to me, and how I am treated at the seen! A Pro armed citizen view point would likely result in a calm and compassionate response, where as a anti armed citizenry cop would treat you like a criminal, and cause you even more pain and grief during a very emotionally charged time, where you are very vulnerable and not in the right state of mind! You could loose some of your rights during this time because of some gung-ho cop who has a power trip, and a very anti attitude!

That is a pretty asanine statement. What you are saying is that since people don't make laws their opinions are not worth anything, so in that case then unless you make laws your opinion is not worth listening to either.

Ive met too many cops who thought they made laws so spare me the crying.

I liked the video, and I think that American cops do tend to care about RKBA more than is usual. But I also know that cops are human, and most of them will (perhaps grudgingly) follow what their paymasters tell them to do.

Cops will be a lot safer if they don't push us too hard (for example, trying to enforce laws bought from whores in the Oregon legislature by Bloomberg). Most of them probably realize this.

Meanwhile, Arizona updated their state drivers manual to explicitly tell people that are armed how to act when stopped by the police.
<broken link removed>

I've known a number of LEOs who got the job because they thought that they would be able to do much more to get firearms away from the public! One has now become the Sheriff of a Very large department. And has Instructed his "Troops" to do ALL they can to get the guns out of the hands of the people he is "Sworn to Serve and Protect"! Of course, that's not what he says just before election time. But then just why would he. The local CoP he works with is also pushing very hard for an income tax which is un-Constitutional in this State. Our AG - who says he's not running for "Office" is also backing this project but then there's already at least two local laws that are against the State Constitution and he had done absolutely nothing to take that jurisdiction to Court about them either!!!

PS: The average LEO really doesn't "Know" what the RCWs actually say about gun ownership besides what he's seen on TV!!! It's a sad state of affairs.

Don't be a horse's bubblegum. On the street the patrol officer's opinion is the only one that counts. Save your's for the hopefully unnecessary process of selecting defense counsel.

Your'e making my point. When you chose a job as a cop your opinion needs to go way to the back of the bus. You need to learn what the law is and not what you think it should be. To do otherwise is to be a disgrace to the "profession".

PS: The average LEO really doesn't "Know" what the RCWs actually say about gun ownership besides what he's seen on TV!!! It's a sad state of affairs.

The average LEO? As a retired officer with 40 years of service to my community and state, I've known literally hundreds of other officers, and perhaps only a handful who believe as you describe. I'd be interested to know where you got your data to report what the "average" officer knows or does not know. Please, enlighten us regarding your scholarly research.

Last Edited:
The average LEO? As a retired officer with 40 years of service to my community and state, I've known literally hundreds of other officers, and perhaps only a handful who believe as you describe. I'd be interested to know where you got your data to report what the "average" officer knows or does not know. Please, enlighten us regarding your scholarly research.
My knowledge comes from dealing with the LEOs I worked with and taught as an NRA Police Firearms Instructor. At the time there was nothing about the Firearms RCWs being taught at the Academy Except for what they were getting at the Range. But, I still deal with LEOs(mostly larger agencies) that are still in the dark about the subject.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top