JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I don't like anyone telling me what to do. That being said, sometimes even I need a reminder that I live within a society and not my own private world (which is much nicer by the way). Do I feel we need them? Probably. People as a society have gotten soft. Instead of keeping our fellow man in line, we delegate that work to others and call it a job. A job that most people do not want. Do I hate, love, or respect them? Not unless they give me a reason.

Cops are people and I'm actually amased that about 90% of the ones I've delt with have been real good people. I can't say that about any other group.

Unless they pull you over then tell you that you were going 12MPH faster than you were actually going, then berate you because you tell them you're not an idiot and they can go pound sand. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/off-topic/29646-ccso-should-ashamed-guy.html
Hahns almost the very same thing happened to me down here in Hillsboro. Same out come as well. No ticket for no crime and calling him out on his lie. Squeeky clean record as well. Differents here is I was actually quite combative verbally and he was playing nice. I was a wee bit grumpy and on my way home after a 12+ hr night shift. Still bugged me though... no apology and no admission of the lie he told me. What a bunch of Bull poop!

But again 90% have been good people including this guy actually. Other then the bold faced lie he was professional and respectful.

We've all had our share of bad cop experiences...can I say I'm a cop hater? Of course not.

Cops have one of the hardest jobs in the US. Ask any cop and most will tell you that they are more afraid of being sued or their own families being terrorized than being shot at from the people they encounter.

Cops also have to wear many "hats". They have to be a mediator, a mentor, a counselor, an enforcer, a roll model and professional at all times. While you (the public) can be as much of a pill as you want.

True, some have anger issues, are corrupt and/or unprofessional. Today's modern society equips the public with "photo opportunities" to exploit these bad apples. Does that make the entire orchard worth discarding? Hardly...therefore, I give a salute to those that risk their lives, safety, well being and endure the physical and emotional stress that comes with the territory of being a "public servant". In return, all that they ask is a heathy respect for authority and the law.

I've had zero experience with cops in last twenty years. Yes, I lead a boring life. A sheriff lives down the street. Nice guy. Other than that, my only opinion of cops is from TV shows. I respect the job they have to do. Dirty Harry was my favorite, albeit fake, cop.

I LOVE the ones that are nice/cool and do their jobs. I HATE the ones that act like they are above the law and intimidate. Some cops think just because they have a gun and a badge, that they are above me....... well guess what? I have a gun and a badge too lol. We need police, can you imagine what things would be like if we didn't have cops? It's a hard job they do and I respect them. I think that police also need to remember that they are out there to protect and serve US.... not try to intimidate and rule over us. Most cops are nice when you show them respect and just behave normal but some are just an A$$ no matter what you do.

I've known some stand up guys and some scummy ones. Depends on the cop.

Point 2, never speak to the police.

YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1

It's probably been posted here before.

This is very important..... not speaking to police is something you have to do to protect yourself and it's your right to remain silent. Any good cop would respect your right to remain silent and not treat you like a criminal just because you respectfully decline to make comments.

I know cops, shoot with some.
I have only interacted with 2 that I really didn't like. It was thier attitude that rubbed my the wrong way.
The one gave my sppeding ticket which I tore apart in court and left the judge grinning I did it so well

yes sir or yes ma'am go a mighty long way.

That's like asking the Afghans if they like US Patrols in there neighborhood. Sure I love the added security to fight the Taliban(criminal) but would like my life back.

Hater: no

Disliker of select individuals: yes

It's about the same percentage as the rest of the population. There are bubblegums in every group.

I've had a run-in with a crooked Portland cop once. My car got stolen while living in Felony Flats and he didn't report stolen even though he was suppose to. When I got the bill from the Parking Garage that the thieves parked my car at, I thought I was ready to go to court. I called up the officer to tell him that these guys are demanding thousands of dollars in fees for the stolen car and said I won't pay it. The officer chewed me out on the phone and said I better never call him again, "OR ELSE." Well, I eventually started doing some research and found out the officer made a mistake and was trying to cover his tracks, because he would face a nasty lawsuit. So, once the mistake was notified to him by other officers, he gave me a called acting nice and sweet and saying it was all a big misunderstanding. I told him I am so happy that I know "I CAN SUE NOW." Well, let's just say he was very nervous on the phone and lo and behold the car was reported stolen the next day. I did not sue him or the department.

So, what is my verdict on the police?

I LOVE EM

Yes, I know shocking answer from the horror story. Police are human beings like everyone else. They have a hard job and don't get a lot of respect from the majority of people. However, those who criticize them are happy to have them around when they need them. Many police do risk their lives to help ungrateful people, because they know it's their duty. There is power-trippers in every job and police these days have a lot more risks than a lot of careers.

Yes, there is not enough police to go around and I cannot blame them for that. Not many people want to be police officers. I carry a gun with me, because I cannot carry a cop with me. They have to knock on the doors and approach cars on dark freeways at night of people who can be potential murderers. I watched a video of a cop stopping a guy on a freeway and the guy pulling a 9mm out and shooting the police officer in the face, killing him.

There are a lot of power-hungry and jerky people who use the badge to take out their problems on others. I have experienced both sides. It's not limited to police officers. Ever have the boss at work who acts like they are God and reduces the rest of you to termites?

I really want to say, I respect a person who does a job like this. Many people get paid a lot more do take a lot less risks.

When I started driving I lived in Colorado - The rule of thumb there is that if you get pulled over and are a male under the age of 30 you are going to get a ticket for something. There were 3 cops on the local force that were great guys and the rest were more about generating revenue - the more money they generate the easier it is to justify more cops and higher wages. One of the cool cops was about 20 times as effective as any 10 of the less desirable and would hang out on the main cruise strip at the K-mart parking lot with everyone and BS with everybody. By being friendly with the cruise strip crowd he probably angered the PD but also had a continuous flood of information about who stole what, who was dealing drugs, etc. and also, I'm sure, made his job much more enjoyable.

After working for LE for the last 14 years I will say the following: as it has been said by many above - Some good, some bad, some dirty, and some with attitude problems.

That said - Always remember - When seconds count the cops are merely minutes away...

From what I can tell when I catch them candid, they are just doing a job they think is right and want to go home to their families like I do.

They do have a tough job.

Well, they can't even sit and chill with their fellow cops and enjoy a coffee in public and get executed. Can you blame them if they are cautious?

There are good ones, bad ones in any category of people you choose to isolate. It is just your lucky day if you need to talk to a level headed cop.

Don't screw up!

I RedHeartPixel.png Cops

I'm neutral when it comes to liking cops or not.

Sure they have a tough job, but they chose to do it. So, if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. The ones that are mindful of their place as public servants are generally more pleasant to deal with. I've got no respect for cops with attitude - on or off duty.

I've found "staters" to be more respectful than the "locals" - ran into the blue wall a couple of times locally.

From what I've seen at different shoots, cops could use more range time, with attention given to gun handling protocol. That said, I don't like that normal activity at the pistol range comes to a screeching halt when the cops show up.

Nevertheless, I'm glad they are out there doing what they do.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads