JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maybe he was carrying another gun or going bareback ??

Maybe he thought it would not happen to him.

Maybe he thought it was a safe area ??? :eek::eek:

Maybe he has never seen car break in's before ??

Firearm Stolen From Deputies Vehicle
Marion Co. Sheriff's Office - 05/30/17

This Saturday, around 4:30 p.m., Marion County Deputy Pablo Garcia was fishing while off duty when his personal vehicle was broken into at the Clackamette Park in Oregon City. The unknown person entered the car by breaking the window allowing them access to steal Deputy Garcia's firearm and county issued cellular phone from the console of the vehicle.

The missing gun is a Glock, model 23, .40 caliber handgun with serial number GHV403 and the cellular phone is a Droid Turbo. Anyone with information regarding the theft, the location of the firearm or the phone is asked to call the Oregon City Police Department tip line at 503 496 1616.

Funny... the sheriff's moorage is in the pool on the clack just around the corner. Great crappie and largemouth spot, don't know how well they like people going down there tho. LoL "only as long as you're a kid..." he says. Pretty funny considering all the bikes you see when the water is low too.

I'll make sure to carry it with me or leave it at home next time I hit that spot.

Wow that doesn't show very good discipline by that police officer!! I get that these guys get railed on for every move they make but for crying out load set an example to the public.

Sad thing is, it's a bad reflection on all of us now because this happened to a cop it will fly around that it can happen to anyone even if we do it all right. More ammo for the damn politicians to throw out about guns and how bad they are. :mad:

I just assume anywhere I go, my vehicle is subject to break in. I do not leave them very many places that they could be broken into. Mostly only at the Sollie Smith bridge, or Mills Bridge when fishing. I have alarms on them so that might help. The tweakers and criminals cruise all these areas looking for easy marks. You would think that a police officer who has probably written hundreds of car clout reports, well even if they do that anymore, would have a clue.

There was one here a few years ago lost his car, Vest with POLICE written across it and one of his firearms. Winter time it's common. Someone starts car, goes inside to have coffee. City even passed a law to fine people who did this. Cop does same thing. They found car a few miles away sans gun and vest. I said at the time that at the LEAST he should be made to pay for the vest and gun.

I'm not going to berate the situation, all that needs to be said, already has...

One report I heard said he left the G23 on the dash... But the console makes much more sense.

Perhaps all officers should be issued a quick access auto size gun safe to be bolted into the automobile...

Actually anyone who regularly carries should have their vehicles so equipped. One never knows when one will need to secure their sidearm in their car or truck

I'm not going to berate the situation, all that needs to be said, already has...

One report I heard said he left the G23 on the dash... But the console makes much more sense.

Perhaps all officers should be issued a quick access auto size gun safe to be bolted into the automobile...

Actually anyone who regularly carries should have their vehicles so equipped. One never knows when one will need to secure their sidearm in their car or truck

IMHO an LEO is no different from everyone else. I would expect any gun owner to do more than leave their gun in the center console. If they choose not to, well ok. Now if this gun was tax payer property I would expect the employee who did this to pay for it. Want to be that careless with your own stuff, fine. I would expect an LEO to do this at their own expense if they are going to carry the tax payer supplied firearm to go fishing and such. Now if this was a department issue vehicle, then yes it should have a supplied locking compartment of some kind.

IMHO an LEO is no different from everyone else. I would expect any gun owner to do more than leave their gun in the center console. If they choose not to, well ok. Now if this gun was tax payer property I would expect the employee who did this to pay for it. Want to be that careless with your own stuff, fine. I would expect an LEO to do this at their own expense if they are going to carry the tax payer supplied firearm to go fishing and such. Now if this was a department issue vehicle, then yes it should have a supplied locking compartment of some kind.
Good point, from what I understand... their MP5 lays in a duffel bag in the trunk. That should probably have a quick access locked case to secure them.

I don't have a quick access safe or console insert type safe, but I do keep a secured lock box in the car for those rare times I have to leave my gun behind. It's perhaps not as secure as a safe, but considering most crimes like this are smash and grab, I don't tend to worry. Any attempt to take this box or get it open would require tools and at least a couple minute's work, which I don't see happening in a busy place like a park.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top