JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have any experience with copper plated bullets for target practice? Been looking at the prices on Xtreme Bullets and they are tempting but I have not used them before. Thoughts?

Would be using in my 45 ACP P220 & 9mm M&P Shield.

Just looking for something to load so I can keep my carry sidearm proficiency during this ammo panicdemic.

Thousands of rounds in both 9mm and .45 ACP with X-treme and Berry's plated bullets. I load them following standard fmj loads, no issues so far... They're my standard go to, eliminates barrel leading and makes cleanup quicker and easier.

Thousands of rounds in both 9mm and .45 ACP with X-treme and Berry's plated bullets. I load them following standard fmj loads, no issues so far... They're my standard go to, eliminates barrel leading and makes cleanup quicker and easier.
great to hear. Do you have a preference between X-treme and Berry's?

I have used both and they work great. Between Berry's and Xtremes I buy whichever is cheapest. They do have recommended velocity limitations so if you are running some hot 10mm, 357mag, 44mag, etc loads, I would stick to FMJ for those.

Long time Berry's shooter. Seems quality control is consistent. Recently acquired some X-treme. Will be interested to see if they make any difference. Again, like most shooters look at price.

Xtremes have a better 'finish' than Berry's - shiner and smoother but they are a couple bucks than Berry's.

Both shoot very well but I really like Xtreme's design for their .357 SWC bullet.

Anyone have any experience with copper plated bullets for target practice? Been looking at the prices on Xtreme Bullets and they are tempting but I have not used them before. Thoughts?

Would be using in my 45 ACP P220 & 9mm M&P Shield.

Just looking for something to load so I can keep my carry sidearm proficiency during this ammo panicdemic.

I look up at my bullet shelf and see 6.5 boxes of Xtreme bullets. I like them very much -- they shoot great, look pretty, and I've had no issues using the Berry's bullets load data. I'd have more of them except for the fact I bought 3200ish .38s from Montana Golden Bullets a while ago.

Truth be told, I've probably sent more plated Bullets downrange than jacketed ones.

So yeah, I think they're fine for practice, and even many competitions.

Truth be told, I've probably sent more plated Bullets downrange than jacketed ones.

So yeah, I think they're fine for practice, and even many competitions.
Me too.
Keep them under 1500fps and you are good.

Good alternative to cast or even coated cast bullets. I've used Rainier (now defunct), Berry's and some Xtreme.

Most if not all Speer pistol bullets these days are plated. Not counting their swaged lead line. But they have a thicker coat than the cheaper plated bullets. I think Speer are about .015 plating thickness. Berry's might be .006 to .012, depending on the caliber and product line. Rainier was said to be about .004.

Speer pistol bullets being a plated product are really not in the same category as the "usual" plated products, being of superior cosmetic quality. But their prices are lower than Hornady, Sierra, etc., true jacketed product. I believe Speer also makes some rifle bullets using a plated process. I might even have some in .308 but haven't yet used them.

Here in not-so-Merrie Olde England they are assessed by the PTB, who actually know the other side of zilch, as being the same category as FMJ. That means that we can't use them on most 25yd/m and 50yd/m ranges.

Here is a comprehensive list of all things that the Firearms Advisory Committee actually know about guns and shooting -

Got it?

... I think Speer are about .015 plating thickness. ...

Xtreme also makes some bullets with a thicker plating thickness -- the ones denoted "HPCB" (heavy plate concave base). Anyway, it is interesting to me that more copper doesn't always equate to more accuracy -- a result I didn't expect really.

Based on my load data spreadsheet (meaning a few tests, not thousands of tests so this could be bogus), my best loads for each of these Xtreme bullets (shot from a rest, 15 yds, 10 shot groups):
165 gr. RNFP: 1.3"
165 gr. HP: 1.8"`
165 gr. RNFP-HPCB: 2.1"

I've been using Extreme for many years, 10/.40, .45 Colt and now lately 9mm.

I just wish they'd ship in usps std rate boxes. I think I pay the same in shipping for 500 9mm Extreme as I do for 4000 Missouri Bullet Company. They're not plated bullets though

I've had good success also, just make sure you have adequate case flare when seating, and an appropriate amount of crimp as to not dig into the thin coating. This advice goes for both plated and coated lead bullets in my experience. I tend to use more hi-tek coated lead than plated in recent years, but both work fine for most of my shooting (range plinking steel or punching paper) at fairly modest velocities, and more economical than shooting jacketed bullets. If you want to push them hard, I would go with a jacketed bullet though.

Here is a comprehensive list of all things that the Firearms Advisory Committee actually know about guns and shooting -

Just about the same body of knowledge possessed by US policy makers when it comes to so-called "assault rifles." In Wash. state, for example, all semi-automatic rifles are "assault rifles" by law.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top