JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up my new Winchester yesterday and I know that they are test fired, but how many shots would it take to put this much copper in the barrel? Or is it even Copper? This is where I am at after countless patches and brushing using Hoppes 9 and that Ammonia stuff. The last patches through showed no blue, but I think I quit trying.

copper.jpg

Usually, rifles made in the USA are test-fired for function only, as you have no Federal proof test facilities. Let me advise you that my Krico 650SS has had upwards of 11,000 shots up the barrel, and it STILL looks like new.

Both my Swiss rifles had a gazillion rounds through them before I ever shot them and that was back in '89. Since then they'd fired around 400 or more per year, each, and they don't look like that.

Me, I'd be walking that rifle right back to the store and asking for a replacement toot sweet - it is plainly shot to s***.

Last Edited:
That isn't brand new.

That or a bad angle on the picture. I don't even see rifling?

Please share shops details if this wasn't a big box shop.

That's a funny thing about barrels. Some will take on copper fouling very easily, others not. Or not so much. These days, I wonder about how barrels are rifled. They aren't all rifled by machining. Some have the rifling electro chemically engraved. And these may come out some smoother than others. Or as OP suggests, perhaps it isn't copper but likely is.

I'd guess that different makes of bullets may have an effect.

I'd hate to recommend a remedy for such a new rifle. I'd say recourse should be with the store or manufacturer. Depending upon the merchant, some stores will take back such a return. Others will simply refer it to the factory for warranty service.

So......Just got back from the store and they are sending it back to Winchester. Their feeling is that the barrel is seriously fouled, or shot out, and needs to be replaced. In any event, it is copper and should not be there.

I can't put any of this on the store what so ever. The gun showed up yesterday and I picked it up yesterday. They had no clue and they do not take guns back so it's not their bad. I had pulled the bolt and looked down the pipe (breech end) and it looked all nice and shiny save for what look like remnants of a test fire at the factory. The bolt looked a little more scratched up than I would of thought, but it is Nickle Teflon coated and maybe it just does that.

Anyway, now I wait. Shame on Winchester.:mad::mad::mad:

Definitely something weird there.

I had to ask about the store as I've seen in the past here on NWFA stores selling "new" guns that turn out not to be new.

Sounds like this was not a shady store, but something at the distribution level or Winchester themselves.

Glad it got resolved.

Did some digging: Winchester tells me that this rifle was made June 2019 and was delivered to Winchester USA and "the store's" distribution warehouse that same month, so its been kicking around there for a year. Went into the store this morning and told them that I did not want this rifle since it is used and I paid for a NEW one. I go back this afternoon to talk to the store manager.

UPDATE: "The Store" is going to get me a "BRAND NEW" rifle. If that's going to be too difficult I told them I would split the difference with them for a camo number, or may even consider the re-barreled used one at a deeply discounted price with a 30 day guarantee to give me some bench time with it to gauge initial accuracy.

UPDATE #2: Just got an email from Sportsmans Headquarters and they say that Winchesters findings were that the rifle was manufactured incorrectly and that Sportsmans is sending me a new rifle. Something goes right today :s0155:.

FINAL UPDATE: :s0155::s0155::s0155:

Long story short, I got a brand new rifle and it shows promise shooting at 60 yards. All of the round targets and the bottom left diamond were sight-in and break-in shot with 165 gr Remington Core-locks, cleaning between every 1 and then 2 rounds. The "last 9" shots were done with 165 gr Winchester Fail Safe without cleaning. One thing that I have to get used to is the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 scope has the parallax set at 150 yds, which made shooting at 60 tough. 100 yds should be easier.

IMG_20200718_100842471.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads