JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Husband Baffled by Police Shooting of Wife in Culpeper

54-Year-Old Patricia Cook Killed

Updated: Friday, 10 Feb 2012, 6:31 PM EST
Published : Friday, 10 Feb 2012, 6:31 PM EST

John Henrehan
[email protected]
BY JOHN HENREHAN/ myfoxdc

CULPEPER, Va. - Virginia State Police say the Culpeper police officer who shot a middle-aged women, Thursday, did so because he was being dragged by the woman's car. 54-year-old Patricia Cook was killed by multiple shots fired by the officer.

Late Thursday morning, an unfamiliar vehicle driven by a woman appeared in the parking lot of the middle school building of Epiphany Catholic School in Culpeper. Police were called, and a town officer arrived to investigate.

Virginia State Police, who are conducting the investigation, say the responding town officer was conversing with Pat Cook, and, "while attempting to retrieve her identification, the woman suddenly closed her driver's side window, trapping the officer's arm and started driving away dragging the officer alongside. The officer repeatedly commanded the woman [to] stop the moving vehicle. She refused and shots were fired."

Cook's Jeep Wrangler wound up crashing into a utility pole about a block away. She was apparently dead at the scene.

Pat Cook's husband, Gary, is baffled by the explanation. Gary Cook said his wife's car had no power windows. "Crank [windows]," Cook explained, "old fashioned crank [windows]."

Culpeper Police have not identified the officer involved in the shooting, other than saying he is a five year veteran of the force. Witnesses have told reporters that the policeman fired his weapon multiple times. That's another puzzling issue to Gary Cook. "Why he would shoot a 54-year-old unarmed woman five or six times? I don't know. I can see shooting once for wounding. You know, to make her stop. But, five or six times?"

Pat Cook sometimes attended the Culpeper United Methodist Church, volunteering as an assistant in the children's religious education classes, according to Pastor Randy Orndorff.

Culpeper Town Police say the unidentified officer involved in the shooting sustained a "minor" injury in the incident. He is on administrative leave while Virginia State Police continue their investigation.

There is now a news video of an eye witness telling a different story that the police.

Husband Baffled by Police Shooting of Wife in Culpeper

54-Year-Old Patricia Cook Killed

Updated: Friday, 10 Feb 2012, 6:31 PM EST
Published : Friday, 10 Feb 2012, 6:31 PM EST

John Henrehan
[email protected]
BY JOHN HENREHAN/ myfoxdc

CULPEPER, Va. - Virginia State Police say the Culpeper police officer who shot a middle-aged women, Thursday, did so because he was being dragged by the woman's car. 54-year-old Patricia Cook was killed by multiple shots fired by the officer.

Late Thursday morning, an unfamiliar vehicle driven by a woman appeared in the parking lot of the middle school building of Epiphany Catholic School in Culpeper. Police were called, and a town officer arrived to investigate.

Virginia State Police, who are conducting the investigation, say the responding town officer was conversing with Pat Cook, and, "while attempting to retrieve her identification, the woman suddenly closed her driver's side window, trapping the officer's arm and started driving away dragging the officer alongside. The officer repeatedly commanded the woman [to] stop the moving vehicle. She refused and shots were fired."

Cook's Jeep Wrangler wound up crashing into a utility pole about a block away. She was apparently dead at the scene.

Pat Cook's husband, Gary, is baffled by the explanation. Gary Cook said his wife's car had no power windows. "Crank [windows]," Cook explained, "old fashioned crank [windows]."

Culpeper Police have not identified the officer involved in the shooting, other than saying he is a five year veteran of the force. Witnesses have told reporters that the policeman fired his weapon multiple times. That's another puzzling issue to Gary Cook. "Why he would shoot a 54-year-old unarmed woman five or six times? I don't know. I can see shooting once for wounding. You know, to make her stop. But, five or six times?"

Pat Cook sometimes attended the Culpeper United Methodist Church, volunteering as an assistant in the children's religious education classes, according to Pastor Randy Orndorff.

Culpeper Town Police say the unidentified officer involved in the shooting sustained a "minor" injury in the incident. He is on administrative leave while Virginia State Police continue their investigation.

There is now a news video of an eye witness telling a different story that the police.

Uh...

Just another cop gone nuts; simple case of murder. But because he has a badge the worst he'll get is fired. You or I would get life or the needle. Just a daily event now. No one cares because it is not them or someone they care about. Yet.

The witness said that the cop shot once in the parking lot then stepped into the street and fired several more times at the retreating vehicle. In the video there are several empties in the street. I believe the witnesses story more than the cops. Looks to me like this guy shot a 50ish church going woman because she didn't do as HE said.

When did they start shooting fleeing cars that didn't have homicidal maniacs in it? Or at least the car is trying to run over the cop.
It's a small town,he could have picked her up any time.

I'm in with darkminstal.Not far fetched at all.

And Father of Four.......hahahahahahaha..sure they will.

I usually find myself siding with LEO's but this looks pretty bad on the surface. I will continue to reserve judgement until the grand jury findings come out. Just the same the cop needs to access a really good attorney because he's gonna need him/her.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top