JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How does a person shoot their finger off?

Was this another one of those fools who puts their hand in front of the muzzle and pulls the trigger?

Even when I *KNOW* the gun is unloaded, I always point it in a safe direction when pulling the trigger, I never put any part of my body in front of it.

First off I watched the video twice and seen so many violations by both parties that many folks have already talked about, with that being said some of the comments by folks I agree with and some I do not and here is why.

I currently work weekends at a local sporting goods store and have been there since 2000 and my clientele range from "this is the first time they ever held a gun" to NRA instructors.

Over the years I have learned to do things a little different from when I worked at a shooting range and how I was taught.

First I no longer hand a semi auto to someone with the slide back and the magazine removed. Yes I do check it, and then I show them it is clear, and then I close the slide and hand it to them.

The reason why is after the third customer dropped the slide on a finger in less than a year and I had to provide first aid then clean up the blood with rubber gloves and bleach water I stopped doing it.

The reason I do not remove the magazine is if I wanted to rob the store or kill the person behind the counter all I would have to do is buy/steel a mag fill it with bullets then walk into a gun store. I hand them a semi auto slide back with an empty mag well then all they haft to do is shove in their full mag drop the slide and I am dead… (Happened in a California gun shop my buddy worked at)

If they have to remove the mag and pull back the slide I can keep an eye on both their hands and body language. I will also learn how familiar they are with firearms. Trained folks automatically clear the weapon and remove the mag this tells me if I need to go into newbie training mode or just answer their questions.

Most newbie's are willing to learn and in 10 minutes I can teach them how to clear and check a firearm for future reference then we go into finger off the trigger and muzzle control. At this time I hand them one of the cards for a firearm instructor we go through and say give them a call and they will help them learn so much more than I can show them in 10 minutes.

When they hand me the firearm back I again check the firearm to see if it is clear (sometimes twice) before I put it back in the case.

With long guns we always keep the bolts open so we can check clear. I can always tell the military folks as they always close the dust covers on the AR after looking at them (they do what they are trained) so I have to open them back up and lock the bolt back to check clear before putting them back on the shelf.

This is not how I was taught or how we did or would do things and the gun range I worked at but with so many new shooters we had to do things a little different in the store.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads