JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Poor trigger control. That cop has his finger on the trigger the whole time.
I always check the chamber after someone hands me a firearm. No matter who it is.
I would love to know how that gun was loaded, and by who.

Those people at the end of the counter should all go in on a lotto ticket. Was there lucky day.

I could not find a link, but Im pretty sure I read a story once where someone brought ammo into a gun show and loaded a rifle to fire it off just to show the dangers of guns.

Im glad the shows I go to have the actions zip tied open.

This was done at the HUGE Rose City gun shows in the early 90's I was there when 3-4 firearms were found on very reputable dealers tables with live ammo (a single round) in the chamber. Announcements were made and you never heard such a racket as a couple thousand guns on 700 tables being checked. This is one of the things that led directly to the zip ties on triggers and hammers.

This was done at the HUGE Rose City gun shows in the early 90's I was there when 3-4 firearms were found on very reputable dealers tables with live ammo (a single round) in the chamber. Announcements were made and you never heard such a racket as a couple thousand guns on 700 tables being checked.

Holy bubblegum - that is crazy!

"I'm the only one in this room professional enough to carry this Glock .40..." (as I blow my foot off)

I don't know about you guys but when someone hands me a gun, I make them clear it. Then I clear it myself and show the other person it's clear. It's not that I don't trust you fukers....I REALLY don't trust you fukers!!!! Just sayn

Trust no one on that matter, regardless of who they are. Clear it always and NO EXCEPTIONS.
I had customers come in with rounds in their pockets and try to load a gun, and they would lose that firearm and damned near their hand when I observed what they were doing. No warning and an azz chewing after.
People are truly stupid and once you realize that you will be a lot safer when handing someone you do not know well a firearm.

frankly I dont care what the scenario was ...he's a cop & knows better, if he doesnt and this maybe the case sure as hell shouldn't be in a job with a gun....NO sympathy here

This crossed my mind today.

I'm standing out in my carport and I'm trying to remove a stuck brass from a die.

I hear my neighbor come up behind me and I mutter something about him or myself and turn around acting shocked like I didn't know he was there.

As in turning he is racking the slide of his Kahr CW-9. Hands it to me and says here take a look. Mind you neighbor is 70-something. I take it check slide again and out of habit show him the empty chamber without saying anything then proceed to handle the firearm and BS with him.

What's so hard about that few seconds? It's as habitual as drawing with finger indexed on the slide or having your trigger finger resting on the mag release button (I rest mine there)...

Sorry. I just laugh at this whole situation (again).

Practice, repeat, practice, repeat. Habit.

he's a cop & knows better,
That's giving him a lot more credit than he deserves. While it's normally assumed a persons' training and job qualify him or her to be more experienced with the 'tools of the trade' but it's unfortunately not always the case - roughly similar to medical personnel prescribing the wrong medications or leaving instruments inside patients.

A year or so ago Wifey and I had that cute young gal at Clackamas Gun Broker just hand Wifey a pistol off the wall without clearing it! It was just after they opened, the cutie had her latte in the other hand. I was really surprised at that. She musta' though we looked extra competent! We would know to clear it for ourselves. :confused:

While I do notice the shops in Bend seem to have pretty good people when it comes to clearing before handing over to a customer I have noticed on a couple occasions some NOT dropping the mag prior to racking and checking the breech - and leaving it in when handing it over. I don't ask to see many semi-autos but the last one I did look at I had to remove the mag.

It's been awhile but I think most times the clerk locks the slide back, mag in, and hands it to me. First thing I do is drop the mag, [inspecting the chamber of course]. Then continue with inspection/check sights/dry fire, etc.

So how come the store clerk handed him an unproved pistol in the first place?

1. Take out of display case.

2. Remove magazine.

3. Open the the action and lock it, show clear and get a 'yes' from the customer.

4. Hand it over pointing downwards.

How hard is that?

They are, IMO, BOTH wrong here.

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show