JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When sharing a gun, do you press-check?
Or, if one of those old-y fashioned, goes round and round guns, open the port, and check all the cylinders?

That the customer is suing the business is not unexpected.

You're right, both were very negligent in this incident. Neither one checked to see if the gun was loaded, and looking at the number of times that cop swept the 4 people at the end of the counter was shocking. What happened to treating every gun as if it were loaded? The story says the cop is suing the gun store. Why? He was the idiot that didn't practice proper gun safety. I hate seeing stuff like this because it just gets used as yet more ammo to attack gun rights.

I can't figure out how a right-hander's loss of a left index finger tip would get him fired, or require so many surgeries. I think the real reason he was fired has more to do with his lack of brains than the lack of a finger tip.

Maybe if he shot off his entire middle finger ... and was rendered unable to drive??

Gross negligence on all parties involved.

All at fault. Officer or knot, he should know the rules of gun safety that EVERYONE should abide by.

When the sales person at Fred Meyer handed me a gun that was on display to look at, she did it without safety checking it and handed it muzzle first pointing right at my junk.

I did a little hula like dance move to take my pelvis out of the line of fire and she gave me the weirdest look.

Yeah, I'd much rather look like an idiot than get shot in the bladder because of the incompetence of a store clerk.

This reminds me of a story where a guy met up with someone and after they got home the room the gun apart and found a bullet shoved backwards down the barrel.

I smell sabotage by a ANTI.

This reminds me of a story where a guy met up with someone and after they got home the room the gun apart and found a bullet shoved backwards down the barrel.

I smell sabotage by a ANTI.

I could not find a link, but Im pretty sure I read a story once where someone brought ammo into a gun show and loaded a rifle to fire it off just to show the dangers of guns.

Im glad the shows I go to have the actions zip tied open.

What amazes me is the number of times salespeople in a gun store will walk right in front of the muzzle of the gun just as I'm looking down the sights. I always work to keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction - away from other people, and preferably into something that could somewhat safely take a shot if the worst happened. I never, ever, ever assume a gun I'm handed is unloaded. Heck, when the gun store folks check it, I check it again. This story serves as a good reminder to not become complacent with a gun.

Why on earth was a display gun loaded???!!!!
Although the officer definitely should have cleared it, I personally wouldn't expect a display gun to be loaded. :eek::eek:
If you noticed, the LEO racked the slide once, so there was a round in the mag, but not the chamber when he took it from the clerk. And it looks like maybe he took it out of the clerk's hand before the clerk was ready to hand it over. Not sure on that part. I have always been paranoid about anti-gun folks slipping a live round into a supposedly unloaded or display piece. It would be an easy thing to do at a gun shop or a show. That said, there's no excuse for not checking on the part of either. In some states the cop's contributory negligence would preclude any damages being recovered. In others he's at least 50% liable.

Hahahahahaha!!

..And yet in the public eye only they (leos) are trained "enough" to handle and carry firearms in and around the public.

Classic!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews