JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am not sure if this is the right area for this and if it is not so I apologize if it is not, but I wanted to get other peoples opinion on it. Here is the link to the story, the video is also in the article.
Police Officer Shoots, Kills Family Dog Outside 9-Year-Old?s Birthday Party
Video Only

In my opinion this is just BS, the first thing you hear is the dog yelp from being hit by the officer and then you see him kick him a couple times. I understand that dogs can be aggressive, yet this dogs tail is wagging throughout the video. Then when you hear the officer yelling at the homeowner I just get disgusted even more. To me this is less of a case of a wild out of control dog, and more one of a piss poor cop doing whatever he wants. Let me know what you think.

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure if this is the right area for this and if it is not so I apologize if it is not, but I wanted to get other peoples opinion on it. Here is the link to the story, the video is also in the article.
Police Officer Shoots, Kills Family Dog Outside 9-Year-Old?s Birthday Party
Video Only

In my opinion this is just BS, the first thing you hear is the dog yelp from being hit by the officer and then you see him kick him a couple times. I understand that dogs can be aggressive, yet this dogs tail is wagging throughout the video. Then when you hear the officer yelling at the homeowner I just get disgusted even more. To me this is less of a case of a wild out of control dog, and more one of a piss poor cop doing whatever he wants. Let me know what you think.

Patrick

In a free country when the cop told him to go get his papers, he'd come back with something else. But he got his papers like a good lil doggy.

Sit Boo Boo Sit - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Having been bitten in the past I still don't understand why the dogs always have to be killed
before they actually even try to bite the cop?
Dog bites are rarely if ever fatal anyhow so why the big rush to shoot?

Btw I thought it was the postman who had to worry & I bet those guys get bit all the time--I never
heard of a postman shooting a dog?!!?

Having been bitten in the past I still don't understand why the dogs always have to be killed

Btw I thought it was the postman who had to worry & I bet those guys get bit all the time--I never

I had a doctor tell me while he was putting stiches in my right wrist that if the dog bit down an 1/8 inch more it would had pierced my Radial artery. I didn't shoot the dog. Never thought about it afterwards either. Neither dog in the video showed real aggression. If barking and growling means you can shoot someone's dog, then every street in America is ripe for target practice.

Just like with a human, you don't have to wait to be injured before taking action to protect yourself.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Just like with a human, you don't have to wait to be injured before taking action to protect yourself.

What is possible isnt always legal and what is legal isn't always right. You don't have to wait for permission to do anything. The guy could have shot that cop. Or you could always become a cop and get together with 7 of your co-workers to shoot 100+ rounds at a couple of unarmed innocent Asian ladies, that's been ruled ok, in case you're worried about staying within the law.

Filer is a very small town west of Twin Falls. If the cop didn't know the person he was talking to or the dog for that matter, he was from somewhere else. He should go back to where he came from, because this will follow him in a community like that forever.

Ha! you call those dogs aggressive? Anyone that thinks either of those dogs is aggressive, is BLIND! This cop looks like he was just having a bad day after beating up his wife or kid and wanted to shoot something. At least it was just someone elses dog and not an "aggressive person" Pathetic judgement and pathetic excuse for a human being

BS fast eddie, that yard IS that persons and dogs private property, if that cop wanted access if he felt threatened by the dog he should have been smart enough to use the PA system in his cruiser!!! I personally would have handled it in a totally different way with a trip to the ER for the stupid cop. My dogs are like my children, you mess with them you pay the ultimate price, legal or not!!!

BTW, why was the cop even summoned? Matters not, he took a stupid pill that morning!!!!

BTW, why was the cop even summoned? Matters not, he took a stupid pill that morning!!!!

The incident happened Saturday, when a police officer in the town of Filer responded to a complaint of dogs running around a neighborhood.
Read more at Police Officer Shoots, Kills Family Dog Outside 9-Year-Old?s Birthday Party

For once I agree with the antis on something. Some people shouldn't be allowed to carry firearms. I wonder if they don't have animal control in that town.

Cop should have stayed in car and called animal control ,I'll tell you this that Ars hole did that to my dog can't say I'd go get my drivers license
First thing you here is dog sqeeling from being kicked then you see cop try to kick dog again, you likely don't know this but those actions will make any animal angry, So let me get this from your perspective you make the dogs aggressive by kicking them and hurting them then when dog is minimum of 5 feet away from you in clear view of video you shoot and kill the dog and blame the owner your a real wonderful tax paid employee.

He still gives the guy a ticket for having no leash on the dog, I think killing the dog was punishment enough. The cop could have handled this way different, seems like they shoot first instead of thinking about different ways to handle the situation. Feel bad for the dog that's for sure, he was just protecting his home.

I drove through Filer many times when I lived in Idaho. It's small, about 2500 residents - the main part is like 6 blocks by maybe a dozen. Local economy is mostly farming, there is also some cattle. It's about as close to rural as a small town can get.

It's not exactly shocking for dogs to be in their front yard or to run out to a car that parked in front of their property. As others have stated there was not aggression on the part of the dogs. What I saw in the video was a lot of happy wags from the dogs at first. Of course they barked - a stranger was entering their property. The aggression came from the officer by kicking and then shooting.

Think about how differently it would have worked out had the cop simply been armed with cookies instead. Hearing him talk he is an obvious puss, one of those guys who go into law enforcement because they feel inferior or they're short in height or somewhere else.

I don't know where I stand on the whole dog thing. There's valid arguments on both sides.

1. Dogs aren't people. They're bubbleguming dogs. Property.

2. If you're someplace you can be, and a dog is acting aggressively toward you and you're in fear of being bitten, I think you should be able to shoot the dog without fear of getting your right to carry taken away from you.

Dog < Human's rights

3. Keep your bubblegumin' dogs chained up or behind the fence. If they're out accosting people, police or not, you have no one but yourself to blame for the outcome. This has been supported in the courts throughout the ages

Now... on the other hand...

A. Cops are supposedly "better trained" than the rest of us morons and certainly better equipped- lil' pepper spray maybe? Lil taser action maybe? Asp even? Give that dog a good rap across his muzzle with an ASP and he's not gonna come at you again. Gunfire, when you have other tools at your disposal, seems like it should never be the first resort, barring a dog that's obviously attacking (these dogs are just bouncing around excitedly, not sure how to respond to an intruder, NOT "attacking")

B. When you come busting up onto someone's home, their CASTLE, as an agent of the State, you need to be prepared to use kid gloves. You're not loved, and your situation is only going to get worse the more peoples dogs you shoot unnecessarily. How about respecting the fact that you're coming up onto someone's sovereign property and making exception to their rights, and showing a little self-restrain and respect?

C. You KNOW people give personhood to their dogs. For a lot of people you know you might as well be shooting one of their kids. As stupid as that is, you ought to know the kind of cooperation you can expect when you shoot someone's beloved pet.

What is possible isnt always legal and what is legal isn't always right. You don't have to wait for permission to do anything. The guy could have shot that cop. Or you could always become a cop and get together with 7 of your co-workers to shoot 100+ rounds at a couple of unarmed innocent Asian ladies, that's been ruled ok, in case you're worried about staying within the law.

BOOM!

He should have gotten back in his car and blipped his siren for a couple of seconds.
Then when the dogs owner comes to the front door, tell him to put the dogs away so they could discuss the complaint.
That's what I would have done.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads