JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had already posted this in the thread "Mexican cartels amass better arsenal, mostly bought in U.S." over in the legal & political section but thought it needed a bit more fanfare, as this is one of those anti slurs that really annoys me. I had contacted one of the editors to challenge several aspects of that story, but amazingly I actually gained a bit of traction with one complaint: the use of the term 'cop killer'...they've agreed to give that tired ol' bit of slander the boot...their reply is below..

"I spoke to my bosses about the term 'cop-killer'. They agreed that the term is prejudicial and that we shouldn't be using it. They've told the copy editors (the folks who edit the stories and the write headlines) to strike it from stories and to use 'armor-piercing' to describe ammunition designed to penetrate protective bulletproof gear. If the term 'cop killer' appears in the paper again, you can be sure that the person who let it in will be hearing about it from the bosses".

chalk one up for the good guys!:s0155:

Its depressing that so many common media outlets are so darned ignorant about guns, and the way they are presented. It's worse in National Media than it is in local media. I can't watch Dog The Bounty Hunter anymore-everytime he sees a gun, he acts like its the biggest deal in the world.

Glad to see that the Oregonian was open to negotiation on this.

Funny story about "cop killer" bullets....

A friend of mine works in a gun store in Garden City Michigan, the only LEO dealer in the whole detroit area. As such, he gets alot of interesting characters in there, some of whom probably shouldn't have a gun. Case in point: One day, not long ago, he's talking with two off duty cops at the gun counter. In walks this little hoodlum with has pants barely over his *** (I know you've seen the type), a sideways had, and an odor that smelled suspiciously of really good pot (I have nothing against pot, but it's pertinent to the story). He walks struts right up to the counter, sticks his stupid face between the two officers (off duty/plainclothes) and looks at my frend, and interrups their otherise pleasant conversation with this:

"Do y'all sell any of them 'cop killer' bullets?"

My buddies reply, after digesting the ineptitude of the situtation, says " I don't sell anything won't kill you just as much as anyone else. I'm gonna have to ask you to leave."

After a little attitude, and my friend polite insistance, the guy left. One of the off duty officers in the store phoned work and told them about a suspicious character. They stopped him a couple block away, and turned out he had multiple warrants.

So... it's nice that the Oregonian won't be putting their vocabulary on the level of degenerates.

"I spoke to my bosses about the term 'cop-killer'. They agreed that the term is prejudicial and that we shouldn't be using it.
Might be good to stop using it considering no cops have ever been killed with armor piercing handgun rounds, as well.
Good work Artilleryman! Gotta keep on the media. They aren't selling accuracy they are selling emotion and buzzwords.

Having been a gunsmith and lifelong firearms enthusiast, I have never seen a single round of "cop killer" ammo, i.e. KTW or 5.7 x 28mm SS198LF. It must come from the factory next to the Unicorn Ranch.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top