JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ottawa Hills Officer Thomas White is found guilty of shooting motorcyclist.
Heres a link to the story, scroll to the bottom of the story for the dash cam video of the shooting.
Kudos to the jury for doing the right thing.

<broken link removed>

Ottawa Hills Officer Thomas White is found guilty of shooting motorcyclist.
Heres a link to the story, scroll to the bottom of the story for the dash cam video of the shooting.
Kudos to the jury for doing the right thing.

<broken link removed>

I dont believe what the officer did was malicious, but I do believe it was negligent with severe consequences for everyone involved.

Having said that, kudo's to the jury.

http://toledoblade.com/article/20100514/NEWS02/5140348/0/ARCHIVES

"This case is not an indictment of all police officers," Mr. Lingo said. "This case is not an indictment of a police department. It is in fact a charge that resulted from the acts of a single police officer over a period of five minutes for which he acted alone and, the state feels, he should be held responsible."

"Michael McCloskey was shot because White appropriately felt that either his life or the life of Officer [Christopher] Sargent was in danger at that moment," Mr. Phillips said.

Well I might FEEL like my life could be in danger by an Angry and Rude Police Officer, but I can't just go and shoot him now can I? NO!

I wish the Officer would be man enough to admit he was wrong in shooting this guy. Apologize and take his punishment. Let other LEO's learn from his mistake and try not to ever let this happen again. Should he go to prison? Not sure. Should he be fired? Not sure. But he should be held responsible.

Father of Four, absolutely. There is a word, very apropros here, which has become a hated word in our society.... that word is ACCOUNTABILITY. these days, when someone is adjudged to have committed a crime because he was bullied when he was six years old, responsibility for one's own decisions has disappeared. Whether negligent, criminal, irresponsible, bad judgement, this motorcyclist should NOT have been shot..... and I am glad to see the jury come to that conclusion as well. For once, an officer of the law is caught out and punished for his (bad judgement, negligence, hasty trigger finger, criminal intent, abusive view of his power, impatience, lack of proper training, any or all of the above) by a jury of HIS peers.

I certainly wish the officer who shot the drunken Corvette driver in Seattle had been tried by a jury of equal integrity. That man, by all I've seen on the matter, should be behind bars, and surely no longer a LEO.

I certainly wish the officer who shot the drunken Corvette driver in Seattle had been tried by a jury of equal integrity. That man, by all I've seen on the matter, should be behind bars, and surely no longer a LEO.

I agree. I looked into that case and I think officer "thats enough" was another lucky one who got away with a crime. This one will be sentenced, but I would not hold my breath as for it being anything to fit the crime. Slap on the wrist probably.

But for the camera, this never would have gotten past an internal investigation. Kinda makes you wonder how many such incidents slide by. And by not simply coming out and saying, "I screwed up," this officer perpetuates the suspicion that cops routinely use excess force and then lie or make excuses to cover up their wrongdoing. It's a shame we need video to keep cops honest.

I'm surprised that you guys are being so lenient with this guy. How many of you watched the video? He didn't even completely turn around, he glanced over his shoulder and BANG, he was shot.

He didn't even have the time to be uncooperative.

The correct outcome will be issued if he is executed for first degree attempted murder. Any of us non badge wearers would be if we shot a cop this way

At the very least we would spend our remaining years behind bars being tortured as a "cop killer", Think about it..

If a non cop did this to an innocent cop I would also support the death penalty

I'm surprised that you guys are being so lenient with this guy. How many of you watched the video? He didn't even completely turn around, he glanced over his shoulder and BANG, he was shot.

He didn't even have the time to be uncooperative.

The biker was basically executed, except he survived. I would rather have died, being an active man and a biker, myself

We don't expect LEO's to be perfect. We think they have the right to protect themselves too. I don't know why we are going easy on this guy. Maybe we hope most of the LEO's will admit that the Officer was wrong in shooting this motorbike rider. Hopefully something like this will help make the much needed changes in LE.

Maybe they will admit that they have erred from the protection of the citizens and abiding by and enforcing the laws, to the now perceived use of the laws as a cash cow and putting the life of the officer over the life of the citizen.

They would die trying to protect the citizen in the past. Now it seems like they will kill the innocent to protect themselves. This was another example.

A citizen who made a traffic violation like that doesn't deserve death. ALL citizens do not need to be treated like criminals! Taking off with a high rate of speed deserves death? No!

We are probably just getting tired of the same old crap the the bad LEO's do and get away with. If they don't make the change who can make them?

The correct outcome will be issued if he is executed for first degree attempted murder. Any of us non badge wearers would be if we shot a cop this way

At the very least we would spend our remaining years behind bars being tortured as a "cop killer", Think about it..

If a non cop did this to an innocent cop I would also support the death penalty

You know you are exactly right! I bet most cops don't care about this speeder. They care about the cop. And yes if it was done to a cop you bet they would be pissed!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top