Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cop breaks car window with gun, accidentally shoots suspect in head

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Chee-to, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

<Police: Officer accidentally shoots, kills car-burglary suspect at Deerbrook Mall | khou.com | khou.com Local News>

HUMBLE, Texas – A car-burglary suspect was accidentally shot and killed outside Deerbrook Mall Monday by a police officer.

Humble police responded to the scene in the parking lot outside Sears around 11:55 a.m. after mall security reported a burglary-in-progress.

When they arrived, the officers said they saw a suspect exit a parked truck and get into a waiting pickup.

Police said a second suspect was also in that waiting vehicle, which was reported stolen.

Investigators said the officers approached the suspects’ vehicle with their guns drawn, but the suspects tried to back away.

When one of the officers broke out the passenger-side window with his gun, investigators said the weapon accidentally discharged, striking one of the suspects in the head. He died at the scene.

The second suspect was arrested.

The officer whose weapon discharged was treated for cuts on his hand. Police said he was a long-time veteran of the Humble Police Department.

He’s been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation by Internal Affairs and the Harris County District Attorney’s Office.

The names of the suspects were not released.

2. JohnWayne

JohnWayne USA Member

Ouch.... no bueno.

3. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

BULLbubblegum.

Sounds more like a NEGLIGENT discharge to me. I bet he had his finger on the trigger when he was bashing the window in. :|

4. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

+1

Either that or the cop is making up a story to fit the evidence.

5. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Gee...does that suprise you?

6. Solo

Solo Portland, OR Member

Musta' been a Glock, according to some of the "experts" here. (I'm sure having his finger on the trigger didn't help)

7. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

All these stories of guns going off by themselves. Guess we have to ban guns...they have minds of their own!

8. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

Poor car burglar :bawling::bawling:

9. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

While I normally support LEO, in this case, you can't fix stupid.

10. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

Sounds like a happy ending to me.

11. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Except for the tax payers who will get hit with the lawsuit.

12. safooma

safooma Oregon Member

This happened in Eugene about 10 years ago. Cop walked there too.

13. JohnWayne

JohnWayne USA Member

They are ALL ND's... there is no such thing as an AD.

14. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

15. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but did anyone else laugh out loud when they read the title to this thread?

I coulnd't help myself.
    But that's what you get a baton for. Horrible accident, did he deserve it, probably, was the cops stupid in doing so, yes.

16. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Should have had a BUST A CAP on his baton...... instead the occifer had to bust a real cap. Yeah maybe the bad guy should not have died, but oh well I for one don't give a you know what. You go and do stupid thing, stupid things happen to you. An no I am not taking the Police's side on this.... I wasn't there to see if a finger was placed on the trigger, I don't know if they cop lied, but heck on less criminal.

17. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

Penalty for suspected car theft = death? Yeah some happy ending. Of course taxpayers get their wallets raped for the state's idiocy.

Involuntary manslaughter and jail time would be appropriate. After all, any civilian in the same situation would have to endure the same.

18. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

If he was making up a story to fit the evidence he would have simply stated that he shot the guy for reaching for a weapon...instead, he now faces possible negligent homacide charges.

I always wonder why some officers smack the window with their gun...most duty guns are polymer, and you have all kinds of other crap on your belt you can hit the window with (ASP, flashlight, ect.) Why do it with your pistol in the first place?

19. JohnWayne

JohnWayne USA Member

+1
    I'm not sure if its the tin, but some people believe the officer is trying to cover something. As you stated, if you are gonna do something like that, why not get yourself off completely.