JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's about time Coos County. I think we are the only county in Oregon without a shooting range. They have the land, the permits, a nice plan, they even pushed a little dirt around but then just stopped. WTF Over! (Where's the focus) I'm 49 now and am beginning to doubt this will ever happen. I think if we all start getting a little loud about it we might see some action.

About 5 years ago Mike Cook had a booth at the North Bend Gun Show for the new Welcome to Tioga Sports Park Public Gun Range and Training Facility.
I asked then what the hold up was and he stated thy were all ready but just short about $150,000. In an area this large that is pocket change for some guys. I suggested selling some charter life memberships for $1000 each and I figure they would have that amount is about a month. He said no one would do that. Are you kidding me? Not only would I do it I already have several times before just to have the ranges go out of business years later. Anyone remember the Hall Lake gun club across from Tugman Park. Great trap club with a 300 yard rifle range. My life membership lasted about 2 years. How about the one out by Lavern park. My family donated $500 towards that. The closest that got was a wood model hanging on the wall at the Surplus Center.

My dad passed away waiting for this range. My cousin 66 just died and never had a home range to shoot at. My father in law is nearing 80 and he said he has been donating and waiting since 1970's. I'm afraid I will be next.

I'm freaking pissed! I'm in a wheelchair and the county has ditched up, gated or sold about everywhere there is to go including the site of the new range. The drill site is unsafe and puts you shooting directly into the sun. I have offered to build a small 200 yard range complete with berms, a covered cement shooting area with cement benches and the County forester said they would tear it out with their backhoe and then ditch the road.

It's time to get squeaky!
Please Call:
Commissioner Bob Main (541) 396-7540
Al Lovie at 541 267-0247 or 541 290-2202
Mike Cook at 541 396-5898
I think Peter DeFazio might be able to help too. 541-269-2609

If we start calling and writing something will have to be done.
Please help.

I'm moving to Coos County in December and I'm getting a little nervous about the lack of anything shooting-related, in the area. Count me in as an additional squeaky wheel. $1000 for a charter membership is well within the realm of possibilities but it makes me wonder why the owner of the Tioga land doesn't think so. If there aren't 148 other hunters/sportsman who can pony up that much, I have drastically overestimated the county's population...

Now I'm off to find an FFL that can take care of a few transfers for my move.

I have spoken to the parties involved. It has turned into a complicated mess with outside agencies playing wag the dog. I will be attending the next meeting and will be brought up to speed. Once I know the details I will post them here. They are getting closer but need some fresh blood to help.

For now the focus of the pressure needs to be applied to the county commissioners.

Call Commissioner
Robert "Bob" Main at
(541) 396-7540
Email: [email protected]

Call Commissioner
John Sweet at
(541) 396-7541

Call Commissioner
Melissa Cribbins at
(541) 396-7539

The proposed range is about 15 minutes from my house, I still drive about an hour to get anywhere to do any kind of long range shooting. I call the phone numbers on the sign every so often but nothing has changed in the last couple years.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top