JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You Can Now Buy Spot the Robot Dog—If You've Got $74,500

The robot is meant to be a flexible platform: Boston Dynamics has spent many years refining the hardware and software that give the robot incredible mobility, but attachments will help qualify Spot for specific jobs. A software development kit allows operators to further customize how the robot behaves and senses its world, incorporating computer vision models, for instance, to detect certain landmarks around a job site.

Last Edited:
It goes to 11.

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0264e2e26216200d-800wi.jpg

UK and German Researchers Create Aluminum-ceramic Material That Can't Be Cut

" The lightweight substance consists of ceramic spheres surrounded by a cellular aluminum structure, which combine to render cutting tools — including angle grinders, drills, and high-pressure water jets — ineffective. "

From the headline, makes you wonder what is ti good for. Or like the old joke.
Scientist - I just invented an acid that eats thru everything.
Engineer - What do you keep it in?

Seems like it works swimmingly... :rolleyes:

It's pretty interesting -- it messes with the image in ways the human eye cannot see but which impairs automated face recognition software's ability to correctly identify the person.

... the goal of their utility is 'to mislead rather than frustrate.' Whereas a simple corruption of data in an image could make it possible for companies to detect and remove the images from their training model, the cloaked images imperceptibly 'poison' the model in a way that can't be easily detected or removed.

As a result, the facial recognition model loses accuracy fairly quickly and its ability to detect that person in other images and real-time observation drops to a low level.

It's pretty interesting -- it messes with the image in ways the human eye cannot see but which impairs automated face recognition software's ability to correctly identify the person.
That's why I put the "eyeroll" emoji on it. I couldn't see any difference between the original and the altered pics. I thought it didn't work, based upon what I could "see"...

3D Printing

Reading some of Tam, and she mused that 3d printing must have impacted the gaming world -

In particular Naval miniatures

Same for D & D I suppose

Train layouts

Do people trade / sell designs?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR