JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Carrie.. the APEX trigger upgrade may help you..

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid65.html

Thanks - I'll look at that!

I took it out today and tried a different grip that I read about here, and I shot much better with it. Oddly, it was completely different from what I was taught in my classes, but I only shot low or left when I slipped back to my old grip. So...it was me. Shocker, right? ; )

Now to try at a yard and a half. ; ) (That was a joke! :s0114:)

Took mine to the range for the first time. Very nice. Not much recoil in 9mm, and it felt surprisingly comfortable in my big hands (I had a problem with M&P Compact - it felt like the handle was cut and 2 of my fingers were grasping the air). I liked shooting the Shield more than the full-size M&P - it is very thin, does not obstruct the target and looks like a "black finger" pointing at the bull's eye, resulting in rather surprising accuracy when shooting for speed.

I have Lasermax Centerfire on it and DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster for the combo, but have not tried c-carrying yet.

That Apex trigger link above is absolute money! I don't own a Shield, but I have a full size M&P 45, and the difference in trigger pull is night and day. Having dry fired a Shield, the triggers seem similar, so I imagine the results would be about the same. Definitely worth the money...

Seeing a Buy it Now price on Gun Broker Auction site at sub $500.

A week ago the LGS near my house had one at $600.
I think they are starting to become more available. A couple of weeks ago Keith's got a shipment of 50, and someone told
me that another store is getting some in to put on sale for Memorial Day.

Updates: after carrying my wife's Shield, ordered a new one for myself ($449 + shipping, plus all local taxes & FFL fees) from woodburyoutfitters.com. Saw $449 (free shipping) on Buds today. The prices are definitely coming down.

Tried to c-carry in a DeSantis pocket holster (with the front cover). The weapon does feel heavy (the price for low recoil), but does not print (just a generic square). The holster sits quite firmly and safely stays down when unholstering; however, it definitely pays to loosen up its grip on the gun by pressing down on the holster with your thumb - obviously, when you have the luxury of doing it slowly and carefully.

The trigger feels heavier than that on the full-size M&P, but it is nice enough without the APEX kit. After ~300 rounds the recoil spring is still very stiff; my wife finds racking the slide to be quite a challenge.

I miss the frame tool available on full-size M&Ps. It is quite handy for field-stripping the gun and disassembling magazines.

Magazines: the 7-round one is quite hard to insert unless the slide is open. It is a very known issue with 7-round magazines. The 8-rounder is better in all aspects (and, alas, backordered almost everywhere except on 44mag.com where the price is above MSRP).

I already have a 9mm Shield so I picked up a .40 Shield at Fisherman's this morning for $439. They have them in stock for Memorial Day sale but only have a few out each day and they sell fast.

^ I wonder how .40 shoots compared to the 9mm - what is target re-acquisition like (can it shoot fast), does one-handed shooting work, etc.

I put a five rounds through it just to give it a quick try. The recoil is not bad and re-acquisition seemed fine. I'll take it to the range Monday for a better work out and can
let you know then.

Thanks for asking!

I can describe it (but don't laugh at me if I screw this up - LOL); facing down range, the exposed part of the barrel just forward of the caliber marking. There's a little ridge there and that's where I see it.

But now I'm flashing back on when I first got it, and I was having a lot of trouble locking the slide open...thought it was me, tried everything, other people tried (about fifty times) and realized it had been taken apart before I got it and was not put together correctly...and now I'm wondering if that wasn't when it was rubbing.

I shot it today and it didn't get worse, so maybe that's a good sign. :cool:

That's where they all seem to show wear, it's just the slide rubbing on the barrel. Shouldn't ever be a problem. Found my shield .40 at Big R for $429, guns are showing up in stock at dealers again.

In a short barrel, it is essential to keep the bullet in the barrel longer (to let the powder burn fully). The 9mm that does that is 147gr (Winchester "Black Talon" Ranger or Federal HST are top choices).

Another benefit of 9mm 147gr is that the round is subsonic, so it is quieter (no supersonic "crack") - less hearing loss if have to defend yourself. If you happen to have a full-size 9mm in the house (for home defense) you can buy an NFA suppressor for it and the same 147gr will be quite handy there too.

Obviously it all depends on the gun. I have seen two identical guns, one liked 124gr, the other shot 147gr much more accurately - go figure.

All +P rounds are "high-pressure" - more recoil, more noise, more wear and tear on the gun. They do what they promise, but I really wonder if it is worth it.

That's where they all seem to show wear, it's just the slide rubbing on the barrel. Shouldn't ever be a problem. Found my shield .40 at Big R for $429, guns are showing up in stock at dealers again.

Thank you for answering that. I took it in for new sights (the dot on the front side actually fell off!), and asked the gunsmith about that. You're right - no big deal. I'm a newer shooter and all my guns are on the new side, so it seemed like quick wear to me.

i appreciate it!

How does the .40 shoot? I've heard a few people (not here...in person) say they thought it was on the snappy side, but the 9mm shoots far more comfortably than I would have expected, given its size.

It's a great little gun, I've always been shooting .40 though, so never noticed. I was actually hoping to find a 9mm version, but the .40 was on the shelf and cheap. I've got most of the little 9s already, so its a nice change.

(Shield 9mm + Lasermax Centerfire. Carrying in DeSantis "Super Fly" pocket holster. Practicing weekly at WestCoastArmory)

I wish I had more news to report, but it just works. It goes BANG and there is a hole where you want it. Would I trust my life to it? Absolutely.

I have gone through 1000+ rounds, and it has never jammed on me (except that box of underpowered Remington UMC ammo which jammed ALL my pistols: slides would not lock open, FTEs all over the place, etc. - I attribute that to the bad box of ammo, not any particular pistol).

I get good groups with the 9mm Shield, but I get much better groups with my full-size M&P 9mm. Unfortunately, I cannot carry the full-size - it is the ultimate range (or home defense) gun (Pro Series 4 and 5'', C.O.R.E. etc. are better, but I am not good enough of a shooter to reap their benefits fully). My wife has better groups with the full-size M&P too. I guess this is expected: the Shield's sight radius and barrel length are shorter, the trigger is heavier - it is a carry gun after all, so no complaints.

It does not print in the pocket too much - DeSantis does its job well, even without the square front cover (which makes it too bulky to my taste - I recommend taking it out). It is not heavy, but it never lets you forget about itself. I guess you have to step down to .380 or .22 to get a light "pocket bug" gun, but I consider 9mm the smallest adequate self-defense caliber, so I need to get used to that "heavy pocket" feeling.

When you practice on a range, I recommend at least 4-6 loaded 8-rounders. They get emptied too fast - just when you were getting started. It is not a gun for pure range fun, for sure.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top