JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I might have had wild duck once around 8 yo or so. I thought it tasted like metal. But at Chinese restaurants I see them hanging, roasted and tasty. When I was in Germany, they had skinned rabbits and ducks hanging for hours, in their open markets. I always worried about refrigeration but they'd been doing it 100 years.

@rjmt

having a 6 lbs store bought duck for my 72nd birthday dinner tonight
reminded of a duck dinner I had back in '57
my father went duck hunting with neighbor men, I watched them clean the ducks in the garage, my mother and neighbor women cooked the ducks up for a community meal
I distinctly remember a bowl on the table where we would spit the shot out that was in the duck meat
my wife tells me that's not so, that the shot was removed before cooking
what's your feedback
You never came back and told us how that birthday dinner went? Compared to the old days?

When we first move to Portland back in June '83 we had a landlord that was a bird hunter. He called one day and said, "Hey, I've been hunting, I'll give you ONE goose or TWO ducks?" I was still adventurous back then. I was 27! I said Great, I'll take the two ducks. He pulled up to house awhile later so I went out to get my ducks. I was pretty excited. 'Til he opened the trunk on his Seville and grab two ducks by the neck and handed them to me. I memory serves, now this is before internet, I took to plucking those ducks. They pluck chickens?!. Skin is the best! I'm sure I ended up skinning those ducks. Couldn't tell you how it ate. I think I do remember cooking those tiny legs. After all, I was always a dark meat/drum-stick guy. I'd definitely pass the SAME offer these days.

Domestic duck is awesome…. Wild duck is about right there with liver taste…. BLECK!

It's good in Thanksgiving stuffing to augment the turkey giblets, though!
I like liver, but my only experience with cooked duck was when I was about 5. Dad went duck hunting with some guys he worked with. Mom made duck for dinner that night. I remember the meat being kind of red tinted and not good at all. That was a loooooong time ago (mid 60's), so my memory may be a little off. A good friend used to love to duck hunt, but would always give the birds he shot to his hunting buddies. He said the same, "Tastes like crap".

I'd try it again, if given the chance, just to see if I remember correctly.

In another vein, I recently read that you're not supposed to eat venison liver.... WTF? That came from "Meateater", and my opinion of what they write usually isn't all that good.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top