JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
having a 6 lbs store bought duck for my 72nd birthday dinner tonight
reminded of a duck dinner I had back in '57
my father went duck hunting with neighbor men, I watched them clean the ducks in the garage, my mother and neighbor women cooked the ducks up for a community meal
I distinctly remember a bowl on the table where we would spit the shot out that was in the duck meat
my wife tells me that's not so, that the shot was removed before cooking
what's your feedback

Most people remove all the shot they see. That does not mean they get it all. I don't think we ever had a special dish for the shot, You just pushed it off to the side of your plate if you got one. Not everyone got one. DR

You're not going to get all the shot out in most cases.
I would say that you didn't "spit" the shot into the bowl, but rather take it out of your mouth and place it in the bowl.
The advent of the steel shot (read hard) era makes it even more important to chew carefully.

You're not going to get all the shot out in most cases.
I would say that you didn't "spit" the shot into the bowl, but rather take it out of your mouth and place it in the bowl.
The advent of the steel shot (read hard) era makes it even more important to chew carefully.
it was South Dakota in the '50s - my father told me to just spit it in the bowl

As my buddy states… if wild duck tasted like chicken, they would be extinct.
Guess your buddy hasn't heard of Market hunting in the 1800 and 1900s and how it almost ran several waterfowl species extinct?

As many duck hunters as there are, far fewer are decent cooks, too.

I try to cut out and steel shot that I might find when cleaning birds. When I was a kid we thought it was cool be have found a pellet when we were eating birds.

I keep tweezers handy when rinsing the breasts. I'll tweeze the pellet holes and pull out the feathers and shot if it's in there.

My brother says he gave up duck hunting when a drop of water froze to the barrel of his shotgun. :s0092:

I can still remember the way a baked duck bounced on the floor when it fell off of the pan it was being cooked on. :rolleyes:
Our mother used to bake until "petrified" any wild game we would bring home . She would say, you never know when those things might have bugs in them. :(
Pork seldom came into the house, and when it did, it was baked, or fried tough. :s0123:
That was back in the day when we could buy horse meat in the local butcher shop. :eek:

Last Edited:
having a 6 lbs store bought duck for my 72nd birthday dinner tonight
reminded of a duck dinner I had back in '57
my father went duck hunting with neighbor men, I watched them clean the ducks in the garage, my mother and neighbor women cooked the ducks up for a community meal
I distinctly remember a bowl on the table where we would spit the shot out that was in the duck meat
my wife tells me that's not so, that the shot was removed before cooking
what's your feedback
By far the best recipe I've found for duck is:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Season whole duck to taste, and place on a wood cedar plank. Place in oven and bake for 30 min, checking every 10 min and baste with butter. After 30 min remove and cover for 10 minutes to let duck rest. After resting period, remove the duck from the plank, throw the duck in the trash and eat the cedar plank.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top