JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep.
Sounds like a townhouse/condo type thing.
And the WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD is waiting for the Safe Movers to show up !
Maybe they'll have a BBQ !

Sorry OP, (low-hangin' fruit) but you can now see the error of your ways.
Safe moving is COVERT ACTIVITY !
Shhhhh !

Covert activity in an apartment layout is an oxymoron to anything in excess of the size of a trombone. I understand what you're saying but short of moving this thing under NODS with ninjas, everyone sees whatever other people are doing. Heck I suspect most neighbors regardless of the setting have a pretty good idea whatever their neighbors are up to.

Thanks for kicking me when I'm down. Your comment is mildly humorous but I understand how the internet works. I ain't mad. As you were.

Covert activity in an apartment layout is an oxymoron to anything in excess of the size of a trombone. I understand what you're saying but short of moving this thing under NODS with ninjas, everyone sees whatever other people are doing. Heck I suspect most neighbors regardless of the setting have a pretty good idea whatever their neighbors are up to.

Thanks for kicking me when I'm down. Your comment is mildly humorous but I understand how the internet works. I ain't mad. As you were.
All in good fun and lesson learned.

They maintain the roof, slab, etc. I'm basically SOL in that regard. I wanted to make sure there wasn't tension cable or rebar in the (what I thought at the time was concrete) slab. As a result I had to ask the HOA manager what the composition was.
I'm having an electric couch installed and would like to know how difficult it would be to run electrical in the flooring.

Most so-called firearms 'safes' are merely limited fire-protection. ....

Truth be told, the underlying purpose is about keeping honest hands out.
All true - they also serve to make access slow and probably noisy, which makes my odds of arming a nighttime intruder as I sleep less likely. Gives time for the rest of the security system to work, basically. I don't bother to bolt them down, generally. Anyone that well equipped and prepared, who has figured out a way to have that much time uninterrupted, has already won.

My goal is to make that not happen.

Security is a system and process.

I'm having an electric couch installed and would like to know how difficult it would be to run electrical in the flooring.
If you have to run perpendicular to the joists it's a PITA if you have to run any distance.
And it depends on the sparky.
I have one that is a wizard at "fishing wire".
He's a WA guy, though.

I would set up some "back-up" work in case there's time to add a wall plug or something.
This particular sparky loves the Pico Switch (wireless lighting control).
And I must say, they are pretty cool and have a 10 year battery.

Last Edited:
Congratulations! I bought my safe in 2000. It was expensive and a bit of a stretch for us at the time. I have not once regretted the purchase and I suspect you won't regret it either. It has provided a sense of security for us as our boys grew up and there were constantly other children in and around our house. I trust our boys but at the same time having everything locked up when we weren't home and they and their friends were alone in the house is priceless.
You said:
Covert activity in an apartment layout is an oxymoron to anything in excess of the size of a trombone.

That works in your for you in a way. The sound of someone cutting into you safe is very very loud and would easily be heard outside of your dwelling and draw unwanted attention.
One last thing. Things being what they are, you storing you weapons properly should keep you from being liable should they be stolen.

Probably not much help in your current situation. But a couple of things pointed out before are very good, and could be used when you move, and you should.

1. Gang Box in basement. Anchor bolted to slab
2. Build reinforced concrete walls around it. Use Industrial Metal Man-Door and Frame for access.
3. You could go the extra mile and hide the whole thing with a bookcase.

I have a friend that built a nook in the foundation when they originally poured it for a safe to be. The stamped concrete front porch is 3 steps high and poured over the top. It's door is in a metal frame and hidden behind a bookcase in the basement theater room.

Same guy keeps his using guns in a safe in the garage. He got the safe as part of a debt settlement. The garage was as far as they could get it without making a hole in the house. It looks like it is from the 40's. They put it in place with a large diesel mechanics truck's boom, and had to drop it by one of the bay doors because they couldn't get in any deeper, too heavy.

One son bought an old jeweler's safe cheap because nobody could move it, and had the same thing happen to him.

If you have to run perpendicular to the joists it a PITA if you have to run any distance.
And it depends on the sparky.
I have one that is a wizard at "fishing wire".
He's a WA guy, though.

I would set up some "back-up" work in case there's time to add a wall plug or something.
This particular sparky loves the Pico Switch (wireless lighting control).
And I must say, they are pretty cool and have a 10 year battery.
Lol, i was just giving an example as to how one could inquire to the HOA about their floor without getting red flagged.

Probably not much help in your current situation. But a couple of things pointed out before are very good, and could be used when you move, and you should.

1. Gang Box in basement. Anchor bolted to slab
2. Build reinforced concrete walls around it. Use Industrial Metal Man-Door and Frame for access.
3. You could go the extra mile and hide the whole thing with a bookcase.

I have a friend that built a nook in the foundation when they originally poured it for a safe to be. The stamped concrete front porch is 3 steps high and poured over the top. It's door is in a metal frame and hidden behind a bookcase in the basement theater room.

Same guy keeps his using guns in a safe in the garage. He got the safe as part of a debt settlement. The garage was as far as they could get it without making a hole in the house. It looks like it is from the 40's. They put it in place with a large diesel mechanics truck's boom, and had to drop it by one of the bay doors because they couldn't get in any deeper, too heavy.

One son bought an old jeweler's safe cheap because nobody could move it, and had the same thing happen to him.
I wish it were legal to pour a concrete-walled pit with a bear trap bolted to the bottom of it.
Put some rubber hose on the jaws so you don't cut his foot off.
It's true, I have thought about this, but it's a bad idea.
Also it would be a beech to "catch" yourself if you forgot to safe off the trap door !

:s0114:

I've always thought that being inconspicuous is paramount. If something is out of sight, if proper opsec is handled, people don't know what your house has anyway. If they break in, it's random, and if it's random they are searching for what to steal, not have a plan already. At that point, if it is hidden or disguised well enough, a safe isn't required, but still could be helpful. Then depending on the volume you have, some things are more practical than others. My first priority is making my house look like there is nothing worth breaking into for and not letting too many people know what I have because loose lips sink ships.

If something is out of sight, if proper opsec is handled, people don't know what your house has anyway. If they break in, it's random, and if it's random they are searching for what to steal, not have a plan already.
This exactly.

If they have a good plan and execute it well, you're probably screwed. I'm just that grouchy old guy at the end of the street with that crusty old F350; these are not the droids you're looking for, move along.

Keep in mind that in the future certain items may be irreplaceable at any cost. If a federal or state law bans the transfer of suppressors or ARs and yours get stolen you won't get a hall pass to buy a replacement.

Well if the HOA doesn't like it, I'm all for it!
F all HOA's

THIS is the most important post in the thread. lol Hey, let's pay a bunch of money to our HOA (asinine neighbors) every month to tell us what color we can paint our house that we paid $300-400k for. Makes sense. Why anyone would buy a house with an HOA is beyond me, but to each his own...I guess.

THIS is the most important post in the thread. lol Hey, let's pay a bunch of money to our HOA (asinine neighbors) every month to tell us what color we can paint our house that we paid $300-400k for. Makes sense. Why anyone would buy a house with an HOA is beyond me, but to each his own...I guess.
It was unavoidable in the area I chose. My next home will be in a less dense (both kinds) area.

Yep.
Sounds like a townhouse/condo type thing.
And the WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD is waiting for the Safe Movers to show up !
Maybe they'll have a BBQ !

Sorry OP, (low-hangin' fruit) but you can now see the error of your ways.
Safe moving is COVERT ACTIVITY !
Shhhhh !
i also highly recommend a used refrigerator box to "camo" the safe box. Maybe make your own that says sub zero etc. Or maybe Frigidaire.
Tell the neighbors you ran out of room for all the dead bodies etc and are expanding your rentable covid morgue.. Times are tough you gotta get work where you can find it these days. (Hopefully you wont get robbed after that) if you do... Good luck!

Stencil "LG Refrigerator" on the box as they unload it. You'd think that safe companies might consider this. Anecdote: Ordered a Tanabe anti-sway bar for my Civic. Advertising on box might as well have said "$$$ Ricer parts inside!!!" as I received an empty box. Thanks UPS employees. Got the second one OK. UPS thief apparently thought "Oh, I already have one of those."

Safe+alarm+dog will give you a little breathing room.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top