JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last Edited:
Just upgraded my firearm security with a larger Liberty safe, replacing the entry level Liberty I've had for many years. Never feared a thief breaking into either one. Just trying to slow the bad guys down, and keep the grandkids safe.

Also had a 2nd story delivery. Kind of spendy, but no effing way I could have done it. 500+ lbs.

Spent about double your $1k budget, but no regrets.

One of mine I bought about 35 or more years ago. It doesn't say anything on the front so I don't remember who made it. It isn't fire resistant. The walls are made of steel plate. I figured theft was more of a risk than all-encompassing fire. Even if a gun safe is made of heavy steel, enterprising thieves can make off with the whole thing and cut it open with a torch elsewhere.

I'm doubtful about bolting a safe to a Gyp-Crete floor. Which can vary in thickness. I'm thinking most firms building multi-unit dwellings will go for thin vs. thick. In a condo., you can't get to the other side to put a steel backer or washer on a fastener. So you're pretty much stuck with something like a lag bolt. Or maybe some kind of fastener designed to hang wall fixtures. Which wouldn't be as strong as bolted to true concrete slab. Even with bolts and big washers, it might surprise people how easily those can be pulled through wood product subflooring.

Bolting to interior wall, determined thieves have been known to tear wall sections away to get at a safe. Including exterior walls. Given the time and cover. So it gets back to the safe being like a padlock, to keep honest people honest. Or to deter loss from break-ins by kids who just grab the easy stuff and make a quick getaway. Which is a fairly common type of residential burglary. Unless it's hidden behind a false wall, bookcase, etc., it still presents risk of loss. Hidden and built in are very good features.

You lose a lot of privacy in all matters with multi-unit housing.

Last Edited:
Videos like that are pure marketing, just like an infomercial. The thing I hate about them is that while career criminals and professional thieves used to be the ones who knew all the tricks, companies posting how-to videos like this on Youtube have taught every teenager and two-bit crook how to bust into lesser safes, because it helps them sell their "superior" safes. :(

No safe is ever truly secure; they all just slow down the crooks. More expensive safes just slow them down longer. Not everyone has a $100k collection, and not everyone can afford a $10k safe. I say buy what you can afford; if you have a valuable collection that may attract the attention of an experienced thief, then you better spend according to the level of protection that you're likely to need. Otherwise buy something good that's in your price range, and spend some time and effort installing it wisely.

Even a $100 locker from WalMart is better than nothing, if that's all you can afford, and all you have to lock up is a couple .22s and an old shotgun. Just be aware that a teenager with a tire iron can get into it easily. It will keep out the kids, and maybe a dumb smash-and-grab burgler who didn't bring tools. That's a lot better than hiding them in the closet or under the bed.

Can't speak to the rest of your issues, but the video is a joke. No one is going to break in with a saw, plasma cutter or anything else along those lines unless they have been in your house before.
The risk would be in a summer home, for instance, where they could take their time. Was burglarized in 2012. Veteran tweeker/burglars attempted to defeat the safe by using an aluminum garden trowel. Epic fail.

Criminals are nothing more than stupid opportunists who want to spend as little time inside your house as possible. Smash & grab. Hit & run. Show me one report of a dude losing all his stuff inside a gun safe because a criminal took 20 minutes or more to break into it.
*COUGH politicians *COUGH COUGH* red flag laws *COUGH*
These crooks are fixtures in my home. They never leave. Idk if id call them "stupid" but the people who elect these crims sure are. Myopic AF!

The BEST security is keep a low profile, dont have idiot friends, dont let good friends invite idiot friends over. Dont advertise.
I still recommend a safe (anything is better than nothing) or safe room/hidden storage space. Every little bit helps.

Personally i wish we could just boobie trap the bubblegum out of our dwellings. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Police should be more cautious and more sure about the correct addresses etc as well.
But wish in one hand and bubblegum in the other. I wont do it because I want to stay legal, but man it would be nice if all the crims knew the lay of the land. You gotta REALLY want that fix to battle the halon fire suppressant. :p

Good (custom) home security is priceless.
Think outside of the box.. The air is great out there!

I would keep it coming and lag it into wall studs if the floor is a problem. No safe (especially under your $1000 price cap) is going to thwart a sophisticated attack by pros with the proper tools. Luckily most of the residential break ins are not so sophisticated and they just grab stuff that is fast and easy. My only worry is if you get broken into and the thieves see your safe and come back with proper tools the second go around. I would take other measures to enhance security at that point.

Unfortunately he asked them about the structure and would it be able to handle the weight.
This of course red-flagged the entire operation.

:(
I guess I'm still not quite getting it. Is it an apartment or town house or something? If you live in a building where the HOA controls your interior, I wish you the best! That is some major BS.

I guess I'm still not quite getting it. Is it an apartment or town house or something? If you live in a building where the HOA controls your interior, I wish you the best! That is some major BS.
Yep.
Sounds like a townhouse/condo type thing.
And the WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD is waiting for the Safe Movers to show up !
Maybe they'll have a BBQ !

Sorry OP, (low-hangin' fruit) but you can now see the error of your ways.
Safe moving is COVERT ACTIVITY !
Shhhhh !

What goes on in your home is your business, not the HOAs. Never get them involved where they do not belong!

Safes are a pain in the rear regardless of single standing structure or shared. In this case and any situation my safe of preference is modular. If you ever had to move a huge safe, you'll get why.

They maintain the roof, slab, etc. I'm basically SOL in that regard. I wanted to make sure there wasn't tension cable or rebar in the (what I thought at the time was concrete) slab. As a result I had to ask the HOA manager what the composition was.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top