JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I purchased a Liberty Revere that'll be delivered in 2 weeks. I'm getting cold feet. Mostly because it's a large production to get this moved into my second story dwelling (delivery fee, climbing appliance dolly rental, etc) Also my HOA is giving me grief about securing this thing to the gypcrete slab.

With all that said, watching this video is deepening my doubt. Considering my "safe" is merely a 14G steel cabinet encapsulating drywall, is it really all worth it? The Secureit "safes" make a compelling argument against safes, in that the weight of a residential gun cabinet is as easy to defeat as their very expensive metal locker. My budget is about 1K max. Thoughts?

Secureit "Safes"

Most so-called firearms 'safes' are merely limited fire-protection. Even then, a catastrophic/'total-loss' type of fire that burns real hot; the safe will be worthless in preserving its contents.

Firearms safe manufacturers sell and provide for a (false)sense of security. They are merely sheet-metal encapsulating insulation and drywall. A little beefier than a common refrigerator.

The vids are accurate. A few minutes with a cordless angle-grinder/metal cut-off wheel, and one can peel the side open like a tin can.

A person would be better of buying a job-box (for a portion of the price), if they're wanting some level of security over a simple locking-cabinet. Fasten some layers of fire-rated rock on the inside, if that's one's prerogative.

Truth be told, the underlying purpose is about keeping honest hands out. A determined thief will be able to get into one of those $1500 Liberty safes much the same as a cheapo Stack-On variety being sold as a security cabinet.

It might take him a minute or two more with the Liberty.

Can't speak to the rest of your issues, but the video is a joke. No one is going to break in with a saw, plasma cutter or anything else along those lines unless they have been in your house before.

Can't speak to the rest of your issues, but the video is a joke. No one is going to break in with a saw, plasma cutter or anything else along those lines unless they have been in your house before.

Well....but....
We have very well equipped thieves in my area....
They keep stealing the Hilti equipment from my work.
Yup, they have taken our gas-powered demo saws, all of our battery powered toys like angle grinders, impacts, drills, chargers, batteries, etc. More than once.
I would NOT be surprised to see someone equipped with Hilti gear robbing someone. Hilti gear will get right through those safes easy-peasy.

I purchased a Liberty Revere that'll be delivered in 2 weeks. I'm getting cold feet. Mostly because it's a large production to get this moved into my second story dwelling (delivery fee, climbing appliance dolly rental, etc) Also my HOA is giving me grief about securing this thing to the gypcrete slab.

With all that said, watching this video is deepening my doubt. Considering my "safe" is merely a 14G steel cabinet encapsulating drywall, is it really all worth it? The Secureit "safes" make a compelling argument against safes, in that the weight of a residential gun cabinet is as easy to defeat as their very expensive metal locker. My budget is about 1K max. Thoughts?

Secureit "Safes"

Cancel it.
Let your nosey HOA people cool down.

When it's quiet, order a Zanotti....they are more expensive, but in your apartment/townhouse situation it is the BEST SOLUTION.
---->Keep your mouth shut this time and get the safe in place a panel at a time.<----

The gun safe will only slow down the thieves, but it will keep them from doing a quick 90 second hit on you.
And there's value there.
Also get a good home alarm system like SimpliSafe for a first layer of defense.

Thoughts?

If you want better security, save up more $ and get a Sturdy Safe. These will be heavier so you may need to move first. You might be able to bolt it to a wall, rather than the floor. I would not want the HOA to know anything about it!

Edit to add: you could also build walls around your safe to make access harder for those with tools.

Yeah the suburbs are losing their charm. Neighborhood was nice when I moved here. Now that my property tax has tripled it might be time to move and rent this place to some "smart" guy for quadruple what I paid to buy it.

I would not want the HOA to know anything about it!

Edit to add: you could also build walls around your safe to make access harder for those with tools.
This.. I would rather build false walls. Or a secret staircase or a job box rather than a "gun safe"

I think you already SEVERELY screwed the pooch by letting the entire neighborhood know what you are up to. Not to mention the fact that they will all be gawking when Your gaint box shows up with burley men and all with "safe" or "liberty" written on the side of it.

Id say move asap then buy a grafunder (spelling? Isnt my strong suit esp. names) or other reputable safe. Thats a legit thick solid steel safe. Otherwise just built fake walls/room etc and tear it down when moving or leave it and sell with the house.

This.. I would rather build false walls. Or a secret staircase or a job box rather than a "gun safe"

I think you already SEVERELY screwed the pooch by letting the entire neighborhood know what you are up to. Not to mention the fact that they will all be gawking when Your gaint box shows up with burley men and all with "safe" or "liberty" written on the side of it.

Id say move asap then buy a grafunder (spelling? Isnt my strong suit esp. names) or other reputable safe. Thats a legit thick solid steel safe. Otherwise just built fake walls/room etc and tear it down when moving or leave it and sell with the house.

I asked the HOA because I wasn't sure what the composition of the floor was. Hindsight is 20/20.

The only "good" safes I've seen must have been from the 20s. About. 3' wide, 5'tall and just a few cubic feet of internal space. Easily foot thick walls and doors. I have no illusions about my normal safe not being that safe. But I appreciate it's weight and security against a casual theif.

Also, you need to have morning coffee buck naked on your porch with the "flag" at full mast. That HOA need to mind their own business

Safes (and locks) are merely delaying devices, nothing more. Just depends how much "delay" you want.

QFT. Delay is the name of the game. An environment with multiple layers of delay is best; thieves hate hanging around. The longer it takes the less likely they'll get it done.

As Ben Franklin said there are few absolutes in life. By using a security container that requires power tools and time to breach, and is bolted down to prevent easy removal, you greatly increase your odds of keeping your items.

Sing to your own music. I had a friend laugh at my 18"x36" or so safe I had in my man cave. It sat upon 6"X6" wooden legs with a 30"x30" plywood top. I had only two handguns in there and the bottom was filled with all of my lead bullets for reloading. I wondered what a crook would do if he tried to lift it off the base and whether I would find him laying on the floor in agony with 400 lbs of lead in a 120 lbs safe laying across his legs. Safes good.

100% agree with this. The video is complete horse crap. It proceeds from the assumption that criminals are smart, calculating individuals who possess the knowledge, tools, time, and gumption to break into your gun safe. Baloney.

Criminals are nothing more than stupid opportunists who want to spend as little time inside your house as possible. Smash & grab. Hit & run. Show me one report of a dude losing all his stuff inside a gun safe because a criminal took 20 minutes or more to break into it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top