JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SIG sells conversion slides with barrels. IIRC the slide for the 10mm P220 will fit and run on the slide for the frame for the .45 ACP P220 and vice versa.

I have and run 9mm conversion barrels for .40 S&W slides on a P226 and for a P229, and vice versa (a .40 slide/barrel) on a 9mm SIG. The difference in OD is not that much, and IIRC SIG now makes the same slide for both 9mm & .40 S&W for their striker fired pistols?

Id be more concerned with frame wear. I wouldn't have a 10mm on an aluminum frame.

I've had a couple 10mm pistols over the last couple years. The ballistics are in fact impressive, with the right loads. Most commercial 10mm seems to be a hair over .40S&W (180gr@1000-1050ish). The original load is 180gr@1200+ and definitely packs a punch. SigSauer makes an FMJ load of 180@1250, and it's surprisingly affordable compared to other brands that load to full power. I haven't bought any 10mm since last year, but it seems to range from $17-$35 per box.
Also, .40S&W will cycle the 10mm pistol in some cases. I want more of them, but it's expensive to shoot and the guns are typically more expensive to buy (for what I want, at least). If I were you, I'd get one.
The 9mm seismic round is standard pressure 185gr/950fps out of a 4".. the head of a 9mm is more substantial than all of the common cartridges so it can easily hold up to higher pressures, it's really up the the gun itself.

I briefly owned a 10mm. My advice is to skip it.

* Accuracy is the king of all equations (other than reliability, not in debate here). Your accuracy will almost certainly suffer over a more manageable 9/40/45/357.
* Your ammo costs are greater than the 9 or 40. This goes to accuracy/training/proficiency. More ammo = more training.
* Gun costs are generally higher too, cutting into training budgets.
* Performance is on par with quality 9/40/45/357. It simply is. There's not a significant enough variation to justify the higher costs and worse accuracy due to harder recoil and higher costs of ammo.

I briefly owned a 10mm. My advice is to skip it.

* Accuracy is the king of all equations (other than reliability, not in debate here). Your accuracy will almost certainly suffer over a more manageable 9/40/45/357.
* Your ammo costs are greater than the 9 or 40. This goes to accuracy/training/proficiency. More ammo = more training.
* Gun costs are generally higher too, cutting into training budgets.
* Performance is on par with quality 9/40/45/357. It simply is. There's not a significant enough variation to justify the higher costs and worse accuracy due to harder recoil and higher costs of ammo.
You have given me something to think about.
Yesterday, I went shooting and shot my DW 8 inch barrel 44 mag revolver, and I was all over the target. I know it is a different round but I assume the logic is the same. It is very comfortable to shoot thanks to the longer barrel - I wonder how a 6 inch 1911 shoots a proper 10mm?

You made a great analysis. Thanks.

Yesterday, I went shooting and shot my DW 8 inch barrel 44 mag revolver, and I was all over the target. I know it is a different round but I assume the logic is the same. It is very comfortable to shoot thanks to the longer barrel - I wonder how a 6 inch 1911 shoots a proper 10mm?

The long slides are very fun to shoot. The added weight and sight radius is of course nice. This is of course assuming you are not planing on using it for carry. I am sure some do anyway but most of us are now always looking for smaller and lighter for something we carry a long time.
If you are worried you will not be able to shoot a 10mm well best way to find out if it's for you is a range with rental if possible. I always tell anyone wanting a new anything to try to find this first. Used to be if you bought a new gun, then found it was not really for you, just sell it. Normally could get most if not all the cash you had in it back out. Well those days are of course over, so best to be more careful and make sure you want what you buy. I have zero problems shooting 10mms with ammo that is full boat stuff but, not everyone does. Some do great with the small, light, .357's made for carry. These can give many a new shooter a bad case of the flinches, so I hate to see them recommended to new shooters.
There are several ranges around you that offer rentals. Bullseye, & Marksman both in Pierce, another in Federal Way, and I'm sure there are some others I'm not thinking about off hand. Call and see if one has a rental you would like to shoot and see how it feels to you. The 10mm round is certainly not for everyone even though I love it. If something else works better for some shooter by all means buy what caliber and gun works for them. So many great choices these days and seems to be more coming on line all the time.:):):):)

Have a Gen 3 G20 SF, works for me and has become my favorite woods gun. For those that shot hardcast, did you upgrade the barrel?

I do use an aftermarket storm lake barrel in mine but have read of several accounts of people using the stock barrels and hardcast with no issues. It seems to be an issue only when softer alloy cast bullets are used. Double tap has good sales and I buy their hardcast 200 gr bullets in component form and stoke them to 1250 fps to good effect. I check for leading after shooting them and have never found any build up. I have never got the 220 gr hardcast bullets to stabilize properly in my stock or aftermarket glock 20 barrels, so I don't use them. Here is The owner of buffalo bore's take on it.

Glock kept the cartridge "alive" in the lean years.
And with their Model 20, made an accurate, comfortable to shoot pistol.
Don't know where the reduced accuracy comments come from ?

My first range trip with a G20 had it destroying the bull at 50 feet.

Some are more "recoil sensitive", some will try a pistol in 10mm that they have never shot in any caliber and happen to not do well with it. So of course it's the ammo. <shrug> Now I have never yet been able to shoot one of the more compact and light pistols in 10mm. That I would have to assume would take some practice to get good with if comparing the same pistol in 9mm. Again it's why it's a great idea to rent to try a pistol if it's never been tried by buyer. Far better than buying one then finding out you don't really like it these days.

And my experience will say, everybody is different. I think the 10mm is extremely manageable, and if you're a person that can handle such a cartridge, it is an excellent compromise.

Learn how to shop for ammo and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Compared to a .44 mag, the 10mm is a powder puff.

You're gonna get opposite opinions from opposite folks. Only you will know if the 10mm cartridge is for you.

I would question anybody's opinion that accuracy with a 10mm will suffer against any other cartridge. I have professed my 10mm in a 1911 was the single most accurate center fire semi auto I've ever shot.

I know you're not close, but if you were, I'd extend the opportunity for you to try and compare any pistol and cartridge combination I own.

Last Edited:
I'm not going to analyze my sarcasm retrospectively, but I'd assume someone who dislikes Glocks likely has a dislike of polymer striker fired pistols in general, hence, the XD wasn't an option.

Not necessarily. I think the Glock is a solid, dependable platform.
However, since the ergonomics of their g22 or g17 / g23 or g19 don't fit my hand as well as other pistols, they are not on my list.
They may be a choice/option for others, just not me.

Your accuracy will almost certainly suffer over a more manageable 9/40/45/357.
Depends...
.357 in a lightweight frame vs .357 in a large frame will give much different results, same as with other calibers.
The G20 isn't a small framed firearm and to me, it produces the same perceived recoil as my 9MM G19.
I'm as accurate with my 10MM G20 as I am w/ my 9MM G19. Now my .40 G23 does spread out over my intended target.

No easy answer, but I'm presently addicted to the cartridge, having added to my own personal collection this year, a Kimber Super Jaeger, Nighthawk Chairman, Dan Wesson Bruin, Dan Wesson Kodiak, Smith 610 6", GP100 Match 4" and CMMG Banshee. I find it a wonderful fusion with the 1911 frame, very well behaved and balanced, especially with the long slide variants (which is all I have). It not a "must have", but does qualify as "this is sure nice". FYI - MInuteMan Ammo's subsonic 10mm makes it feel like shooting a 38, and the also offer some really hot loads.

No easy answer, but I'm presently addicted to the cartridge, having added to my own personal collection this year, a Kimber Super Jaeger, Nighthawk Chairman, Dan Wesson Bruin, Dan Wesson Kodiak, Smith 610 6", GP100 Match 4" and CMMG Banshee. I find it a wonderful fusion with the 1911 frame, very well behaved and balanced, especially with the long slide variants (which is all I have). It not a "must have", but does qualify as "this is sure nice". FYI - MInuteMan Ammo's subsonic 10mm makes it feel like shooting a 38, and the also offer some really hot loads.
I am a DW guy - which do you like best of the Bruin or Kodiaks, (I cannot believe you actually have both! :) )? I think I watched a video of someone showing the difficulties of the Bruin's takedown, any truth there? I have been considering the Kodiak but am very dissapointed that it does not have the Clark style ribbing on top of the slide.

The long slides are very fun to shoot. The added weight and sight radius is of course nice. This is of course assuming you are not planing on using it for carry. I am sure some do anyway but most of us are now always looking for smaller and lighter for something we carry a long time.
If you are worried you will not be able to shoot a 10mm well best way to find out if it's for you is a range with rental if possible. I always tell anyone wanting a new anything to try to find this first. Used to be if you bought a new gun, then found it was not really for you, just sell it. Normally could get most if not all the cash you had in it back out. Well those days are of course over, so best to be more careful and make sure you want what you buy. I have zero problems shooting 10mms with ammo that is full boat stuff but, not everyone does. Some do great with the small, light, .357's made for carry. These can give many a new shooter a bad case of the flinches, so I hate to see them recommended to new shooters.
There are several ranges around you that offer rentals. Bullseye, & Marksman both in Pierce, another in Federal Way, and I'm sure there are some others I'm not thinking about off hand. Call and see if one has a rental you would like to shoot and see how it feels to you. The 10mm round is certainly not for everyone even though I love it. If something else works better for some shooter by all means buy what caliber and gun works for them. So many great choices these days and seems to be more coming on line all the time.:):):):)
Carrying this gun would be for the wilderness/ hunting trips. And range trips once i start reloading this round. It will replace my wheel gun because of capacity. If I should forgo this round, then I will try to find data for reloading 357 SIGs or 40s at MAX pressures to 'replicate' 10mm. Probably not ideal though. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top