JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stuff is amazing to watch. Some LEO putting rounds into one of these guys and they do not stop. Now when I am carrying one of my .380's I feel like I may have to hope I can out run them :eek:

It is something to think about....... but like they say, better have something than nothing, right? Whether it be 1 round or 17 rounds. ;)

It is something to think about....... but like they say, better have something than nothing, right? Whether it be 1 round or 17 rounds. ;)
YES!! All my life I have shook my head when I hear others say "I will only carry............... nothing smaller is worth it." Problem being only a VERY few of them will always have that "better gun". Almost all of them at times go with no gun at all. Why I say the gun you have no matter how small beats the better gun left at home.

This is what I am always concerned about. Your statement is spot on.

What you have said is why I am ALWAYS thinking, more rounds in a mag (9mm) or more power (.40 cal). Its a struggle for me. I always try to get the best performing .40 round I can.

I have just started a build with a PF940sc and I have been torn between doing it as a g26 or g27. Finally settled on a G27 build, as I am proficient with handling .40 S&W cartridge. (I am tired of printing with my larger pistol)

I hate having so little of rounds on me. This will be the first pistol that I have that only has 9+1.

Then I think about those poor 2A Californians that can have only 10 rounds tops.

I live in Yakima, and all sorts of people are on drugs............o_O

In the end, all I and we can do is our homework to be prepared with the best of the best.

- Preston

P.S. Sorry OP for driving my response off topic from your post.:confused:
All good, mate.

Because I can't shoot 'em well. Being honest, lol. :D

Honesty is important.

The critics have valid statements about 10mm, most commercial Ammo is light loaded, so it's basically .40, that being said, when loaded properly (and the shooter can handle it) it punches a target with more energy than most other pistols cartridges (at least when compared to capacity, and semi auto fire) Specialty offerings like the D-eagle not withstanding.

Reloader's can truly reap the most benefit from shooting 10mm, with bullet weights from 135 up to 200 easily bought, they can be made to perform tremendously. I have experience with Glock 29/20/40 I have found the Gen 4 models to be better if nothing else because I prefer the grip texture.

I have found most 10mm shooters can actually handle it, while many people who heavily critic 10mm have wrists that prefer a lesser caliber. There are folks who believe it to be a magic talisman, obviously it's not, but the spec sheet doesn't lie and if we're talking about neutralizing threats, something that does it better is preferable. To each their own. Even though I acknowledge 10mm to be a superior caliber, I shoot 9mm more than anything and because I practice significantly more with 9mm, I tend to carry what I practice the most with. The idea being that speed from draw and accuracy of rounds into the target is most important Concealing OWB is also easier with the smaller framed 17 compared to the 20.

When I take a stroll in the woods I tend to pick up the 20. Bigger holes, more energy.

Because I can't shoot 'em well. Being honest, lol. :D
I used to think that about 12 years ago........trained my way out of that thought . Its an acquired "taste" after growing up on SA pistols.
Never even cared if I shot them well until I realized its the best way to get into 10mm world......and reaload 'em or might as well get a 40S&W. Hand full of ammo manf. out there in the last 5 years are actually pretty hot but spendy .
I guess there is a 10mm XD available that some folks like. I've shot plenty of 9mm from XDs and its not a bad gun.

Wow. Five pages worth of 10mm experience.

After experiencing failures with Glock, Delta Elite, and Kimber, I swore off owning any 10mm pistol . Then a friend bought a Ruger 1911 10mm. It was a pleasure to shoot, so I bought one of my own. Things continued as they should, and I professed this gun to be the all-time best shooting 1911 I've ever experienced. Extremely accurate, and very controllable.

Then as I was shooting some factory loads at the upper power spectrum that the 10mm was originally designed, things came to a screaching halt. The lug sheared off the underside of the barrel.
P1050341.jpg
At the same time, there were reports of other Ruger 1911 owners suffering the same failure. Ruger replaced the barrel, but in spite of polishing, timing and tuning, I could never get this gun to run with upper end power ammo. Ruger replaced the entire gun, and I sold the new gun before ever shooting it. At last report it's been flawless for the new owner, and I've read no further reports of this failure.

In the meantime, because I had a large supply of 10mm ammo, I bought a 10mm Blackhawk revolver. A very pleasant and easy gun to shoot, but being on a full-size Blackhawk frame, I thought it was too large a revolver for such a relatively small cartridge. This revolver also went down the road.

I had been experimenting with .40 cal autos, namely a Sig 226 and Springfield XD40, and thought such a gun chambered in 10mm could be worth a try. My friend has a 10mm Sig 220 and although operation is wonderful, the grip is way too large for me. I bought a Springfield XDM in 10mm. it shoots well, fits me well, and still remains comfortable to shoot. It will never replace a 1911 in overall perfection, but it's a very decent 2nd place.

Something I read over and over by 10mm owners is the comparison of the 10mm to similar power revolver cartridges. The 10mm is often compared as slightly better than a .357 and slightly less than a .41 mag. Don't forget, ballistics performance charts often use a full length, often 8-3/8" barrel for their tests, so unless you're shooting that size revolver, you'll likely not get the printed performance results from a 4 or 6 inch barrel, whereas, the real life tests of a 10mm are done with a easier to carry service-length pistol. in a nutshell, I see the 10mm compares very favorably with the .357 or .41, but in a smaller overall package than a large and full-length barreled revolver.

And as the dust settles, I see myself buying another Ruger 1911 10mm.

Last Edited:
@WAYNO, I am still loving that Ruger. Had it apart Wednesday following a good range session, zero signs of pending failure.
I like how there's no barrel nut to remove like all my other 1911's.
She's all clean and lubed up now. :p
Taking her out again Monday on a head-to-head shootout with some Glocks.

@WAYNO, I am still loving that Ruger. Had it apart Wednesday following a good range session, zero signs of pending failure.
I like how there's no barrel nut to remove like all my other 1911's.
She's all clean and lubed up now. :p
Taking her out again Monday on a head-to-head shootout with some Glocks.

Not that a 1911 is tough to strip, but I agree the 10mm Ruger is the easiest of any 1911.

And whenever you like, you could do a head-to-head with my Springfield 10mm, too.

Last Edited:
In the above image, someone edited in the plasma torus from an atomic bomb over the 10mm track, which wasn't in the original image at all.

The original was found with a 10 second reverse image search in a reddit subforum which lead me to this 2012 article...

Below is the uneditied image, which I KNEW I had seen somewhere else. (grin)

View attachment 618500

In an Erkle voice "I KNEW THAT" when I posted the nuclear power comment....:D

what really amazes me is when you watch these gel tests for many of the "better" rounds, then watch video of some of these "drug zombies" soak up multiple hits and refuse to go down. When I think of what must be happening to the body of these creatures it is amazing how scary they can be. That they soak up that kind of damage and still stay on their feet.

It's a proven fact that with zombies one must shoot the engine (head) and not the body (caboose). Also, carry a machete so if ya can't shoot it in the head just cut it off...:)

Shot placement is definitely KEY but that guy is DAMN LUCKY!!!:eek::eek::eek::D
That guide had been "around the horn" a few times.
He had that Smith Wonder Nine loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo, I think it was.
And he was cool and deliberate while under attack.

That's the hard part....having the stones to stand in there and take good shots.
And that's plural....he was picking his best shots to kill the bear and not hit his clients.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top