JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I am going to start my first project by converting a Winchester 1897 into a trench gun.
Already have the gun by a matter of chance, but don't know anything specific (pops really needs to stop accidentally bidding on gunbroker). ;)

All I know is the barrel is too long for my desired purpose as a recreation of the classic M97.

Where can I obtain the necessary parts for this conversion?
Namely I would like to acquire a barrel, but I am not finding them anywhere.
I found one site that offers a reproduction barrel shroud and bayonet lug, but if you have a suggestion please contribute. :)
Know of a good place that sells bayonets? Gotta have a bayonet on this one... ;)

Not a difficult conversion, cut and crown the barrel. Installing the hand guard will require a notch to clear the screw. Parkerize the whole thing.

Trench guns are AWESOME!!

That's why I made these..... two more to go!
2106D1F9-A78C-4AE8-AD4D-09584FDA7848.jpeg

I'm a 97 fan especially as tuned to SASS use; however, it really IS a heavy verging on ponderous behemoth prior to docking the really long barrels....which remains a sacrilege in some circles.

And the mechanism is so complicated for thorough cleaning, the tutorial I found had literally 27 steps and included the advise to begin the process IN the shower stall.

Slicking up the action really brings these beasties alive, and the comfort while shouldering was always pleasing.

There are many sites dedicated to 97s opinions & modification.
Alas, all my 97s were purged when I retired from the OOWSS game.

There's a company that makes a special ammo tube follower and spring that allows you to add an extra shell from 5 to 6 shells when using 2-3/4" ammo. I can't remember what the name is, but I'll do some research today.
As far as bayonets go, I bought mine on Craigslist here in Portland from a family member who inherited it from an uncle that fought in WW!.
The hardest part was filing the three half notch screw holes in the underside of the barrel. You have to be very careful not to file too deep as the the original trench gun barrel were made with thicker tubing and were also straight walled tubes with no choke and marked as "Cylinder."
The clamping screws should have just enough room in the half round notches to make some light thread marks as you screw them under the barrel to the other side of the shroud clamp.
I used this model '97 take down gun because the end of the barrel had a huge dent in it .

win pump 12 001.JPG

win pump 12 004.JPG

win pump 12 002.JPG

Last Edited:
there are multiple sites & existing models of the factory 97 trench gun to establish the fact they were *at least one* model used as such in .mil settings; I happened into a bunch that had been finally scrapped from OSP state agency at a gun show, a couple dozen going for around $150 each....:eek: at the time I was too stupid to realize their unique historical niche. At the time it was easy to find very good 97s for well under $100.

Of course there are many examples of 'virtual trench 97s' built for various reasons that any collector will be happy to list the errors in the build.

Good luck with the project, and please post photos.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top