JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, whilst toiling away today, I got to thinking about acquiring a pair of revolvers that cap'n'ball type, but also convertible to cartridge firing. I haven't played with blackpowder wheelguns since the late 90s/early 2000s, so I don't know what the current lay of the land is.

Can anyone recommend a revolver that:

• Is single-action.
  • Six-shot.
  • In either .36/.38 or .44, with a strong preference for the latter.
  • Can be bought as a blackpowder revolver, but conversion cylinders to .38 Special or .44 Special are available, either from the original manufacturer or an aftermarket shop.
  • Is of good quality and manufacture.
  • Price is not a major concern.
Thank you for any recommendations. :)

It's a lot of work and $$ and you will only be able to use blackpowder or equivalent loads... Uberti Remington 1858 clones will work. Some even go so far as to machine and install loading gates. I believe there are Colt 1860 versions possible also there were many "conversions" made in the years before the 1873 SAA. Colt made an 1872 Open-Top which was a factory version. Modern copies of the Open Top and various conversion-cartridge revolvers are factory made mostly (I understand) in Italy.
Not my cup of tea, after looking into it seriously, for the $$ I kept my pistols as-manufactured and use spare cylinders. YMMV:D

Last Edited:
As noted above please use black powder or equivalent loads in any of the replica revolvers.

At one time Kirst made a conversion cylinder for the Ruger Old Army in .45 Colt...this might give you more options for loads , but I am not sure.

To be honest I have never really been a fan of the conversions ...a neat idea , but they all have short comings.
I always suggest to stick with cap and ball or just get a actual revolver that was designed from the "get go" to fire cartridges.
Andy

I've seen the conversion cylinders available but, while it's a cool idea and even has some historical accuracy, I wouldn't want to be tied to black powder "cowboy" loads.

If it's "The Look" you're after, get ahold of a Taylor's & Company catalog. They have several "conversion" pistols (including the beautiful 1858 Remington and open top Army and Navy models) that are designed to use modern ammo but retain the black powder look.... absolutely stunning. Their catalog is a glossy 80+ page drool fest for guys who love single action revolvers, lever guns, and black powder. By the way, they also sell the conversion cylinders for several of their BP pistols.

T&C doesn't manufacture, I believe they are just an importer/distributor for Italian-made replicas, like Cimarron. That's like a Ferrari dealer and a Fiat dealer though... Taylor & Co guns are a step above the workaday Cimarron offerings.

I've had several Ubertis and currently own one Pietta marketed under the Cimarron brand and all have been excellent.

Below are pics of two pages of conversion cylinders.

1547390339519915802596452026054.jpg 15473904096377682486127780884630.jpg

Sorry for the size... I meant to leave them as clickable thumbnails

Last Edited:
Not a fan of multi configuration guns.
For example .22 LR/ .22 Magnum revolvers. I just seam to find a preferred set up and use the gun that way.

Also I have no problem buying another gun. In another configuration.

I think you should just scratch your BP itch. And then go find a nice SAA.
Or better yet a pair.

Last Edited:
Thanks all for the thoughts and ideas. I found the Kirst conversion for the Ruger Old Army and that does seem like would fit the bill. Though, perhaps on a macro level, adding the conversion requirement may be a "bridge too far". I'd be down with reentering the world of muzzleloading via cap'n'ball revolvers, sans said cartridge conversion conundrum. I've always had a curious fascination with the LeMat and that would be a rather gonzo way to pursue said.

In the interest of full disclosure, this was one of many random thoughts whilst working away in the forest. Said thoughts included such musings as wondering why people think raising boys and girls is the same (working theory, they are childless), why Deism isn't more common now (still no idea), what anklet my wife was wearing today (came home and ay, no anklet, but curlers!), how interesting the interplay of Hellenic stoic philosophy and first century Jewish thought that is embodied in the pseudepigraphal 4 Maccabees is, who's hotter Leryn Franco or Salma Hayek (went with Hayek after a lengthy internal debate), and if I should smoke a cigar (I did and it was a Maduro Black). Got to love working in the forest. :s0112:

In the interest of full disclosure, this was one of many random thoughts whilst working away in the forest. Said thoughts included such musings as wondering ... what anklet my wife was wearing today (came home and ay, no anklet, but curlers!). Got to love working in the forest. :s0112:

At least I didn't have a face mask on as well. :s0095: Besides you loved how I styled my curls.

At least I didn't have a face mask on as well. :s0095: Besides you loved how I styled my curls.

Actually, yes, it turn out well; very artistic and beautiful with the hair ornaments. We were both up to our eyeballs on Saturday (not just eyeballs, I was so sore after working up in the forest, I was walking around like Frankenstein in the evening), but we got to be together Sunday. And with that great hairstyle. :s0155:

Hey new here but just FYI the taylors and company conversion cylinders that go in the uberti/pietta black powder guns are rated for modern loads as long as it isn't a brass frame.

So if you get the 44 black powder remington or colt you can put the 45colt cylinder in it and fire modern smokeless 45colt rounds.

Back in the day Remington sold a lot of their pocket pistols with both the cap and ball and the cartridge conversion cylinder and advertised the advantage of having both. Remington had 4 or 5 different pocket pistols of various sizes and configurations as opposed to the one replica model that is sold today.

Back in the day Remington sold a lot of their pocket pistols with both the cap and ball and the cartridge conversion cylinder and advertised the advantage of having both. Remington had 4 or 5 different pocket pistols of various sizes and configurations as opposed to the one replica model that is sold today.

There's still a few different models out there. Uberti and Pedersoli specialize in the Remington Army and the Colt Walker but they do the short barrel police and navy models and there's a couple of Gunnison and Griswald models out there too that actually have the accurate caliber but they're brass framed (historically accurate) so they can't use conversion cylinders.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top