JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've used the stainless travel cups for hot beverages for years. The Contigo brand has worked great, in that respect. Mine is used for coffee.
Considering I like the Coffeemate French Vanilla, the sugars tend to build over time, and grow into an almost caulk appearance and texture.
Once a week I thoroughly clean the lid and inside with a toothbrush, and disassemble to clean as needed.
I have a 20oz, that's somewhat of a challenge to get "clean" deep down towards the bottom.
Today was cleaning time, and while rinsing after using a nylon bottle brush, I noticed coffee sludge on the sides. The nylon brush wasn't working so great.
I grabbed a stainless frosting knife used to spread frosting on cakes, and scraped the sides. What scraped off reminds me of burnt oil found inside a tired engine. As thick as a fingernail.
It was nasty. Rinse/scrape a bit more, and eventually back to bare stainless. My coffee tastes a LOT better, can you imagine?

So it comes to mind that a proper brush, brass or stainless bristle would fill the need and make cleaning a little more effortless.
Something, almost like a cylinder hone, but not so much.

What's your solution to cleaning the cups effectively?
I had a vision of a 1/2 cup or so of stainless BB's and water, swirling the wall inside.
*no cleaning agents or soaps are ever used*

Last Edited:
Clorox Cleanup spray, swirled around, followed by a run thru the dishwasher, once a week. Works a charm.

Mind that we normally give our thermoses and travel mugs a "preheat" with boiling water before loading up for the day. That is what I think really cuts down on the glop.

Other upside to preheat is a correct temp refill as needed almost the entire shift.

2nd for baking soda and vinegar - cleans well, removes tough stuff like mineral stains from hard water, etc. Bleach and abrasives can damage the surface. I use regular dish soap on mine until a more thorough cleaning is needed.

Never clean a coffee cup. You worked hard for that flavor, why waste it?

P
This ^^^ has been my thoughts for years.
I should have taken a few pictures. It was caked, pretty solid.
I literally had to scrape it off the sides and bottom.
Like, how the BBQ grill gets after using it all summer. LOL!!

i got a hydroflask for my birthday in april. only ever have used it for ice water. havent cleaned it other than the day i got it. i know this is a little off topic but when im done with my camelbak bladders for the year, i wash them then put them in the freezer to prevent bacteria from growing then rinse them out when i go to use them again

I've used the stainless travel cups for hot beverages for years. The Contigo brand has worked great, in that respect. Mine is used for coffee.
Considering I like the Coffeemate French Vanilla, the sugars tend to build over time, and grow into an almost caulk appearance and texture.
Once a week I thoroughly clean the lid and inside with a toothbrush, and disassemble to clean as needed.
I have a 20oz, that's somewhat of a challenge to get "clean" deep down towards the bottom.
Today was cleaning time, and while rinsing after using a nylon bottle brush, I noticed coffee sludge on the sides. The nylon brush wasn't working so great.
I grabbed a stainless frosting knife used to spread frosting on cakes, and scraped the sides. What scraped off reminds me of burnt oil found inside a tired engine. As thick as a fingernail.
It was nasty. Rinse/scrape a bit more, and eventually back to bare stainless. My coffee tastes a LOT better, can you imagine?

So it comes to mind that a proper brush, brass or stainless bristle would fill the need and make cleaning a little more effortless.
Something, almost like a cylinder hone, but not so much.

What's your solution to cleaning the cups effectively?
I had a vision of a 1/2 cup or so of stainless BB's and water, swirling the wall inside.
*no cleaning agents or soaps are ever used*

Got the same thing with the same beverage and condiments, never had any of the issues spoken of, but then again I rinse it out everyday.... ;)

and again!

1564782402290.png

Life Hack: Clean and Sanitize Reusable Water Bottles (Hydro Flask) with Denture Tablets

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top