Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CONTACTS

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by PaulZ, Mar 29, 2011.

1. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

Who do you contact to straighten out a problem on a background check?
    Since the Fed got involved mine has been screwed up

2. joeroket

joeroket Everett,Wa. Active Member

You will want to contact the federal agency that you think screwed the pooch.

3. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Is it a hold or a denial?

4. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

The municipality that holds the court record of the infraction?
    That's who you will have to deal with to get anything expunged.

5. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

Hold

6. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

From what I understand, this has been happening A lot lately. I got a hold at the last show for no reason too. It sucks!

7. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

The Feds switched recently to a deeper level of computer records searching, which confuses a lot of similar names across different states. As of a couple of years ago, the Oregon State Police Firearms Unit would make the calls for you and sort it out for free (paid for by your ten dollar fee), BUT things might be different now due to budget cuts. Call the OSP Firearms Instant Check System at 1-800-432-5059 and ask for the "Challenge Line" and you will reach a nice person who will listen sympathetically to your issue. NOTE: these are actually nice people who want to help you, so don't DUMP on them or treat them rudely---it's not their fault that computers are easily confused.

In my case the Federal computer dug out a missing checkbox from 1972 that had to be checked! Three different states were involved, yet the nice person at the OSP called them all and sorted it out for me. Things may work out for you better than you dread............................elsullo

8. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

Another different issue: technically a "hold" can only last two weeks, I think, and then the seller can release the gun to you no matter that they got no resolution from the Feds. BUT, most sensible dealers will keep holding the gun anyway even though they are not required to, just to be on the safe side and keep right with the Feds..............................elsullo

9. RB87

RB87 Oregon Active Member

OFF alert on this from a couple weeks ago:

Oregon Firearms Federation

10. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

Every time I buy a pistol, it gets authorized right away. When I buy a rifle, I get delayed, every time.