JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If I have a stripped lower, NO lower parts kit, and a 10.5" complete upper, would I be in danger of constructive possession? Is the lack of a lower parts kit enough to avoid it?

What if I have one SBR (complete) lower, one non-SBR (complete) lower, 2 10.5" complete uppers and one 16" complete upper, is this scenario constructive possession?

If I have a stripped lower, NO lower parts kit, and a 10.5" complete upper, would I be in danger of constructive possession? Is the lack of a lower parts kit enough to avoid it?

If the lower was NEVER built as a rifle (helps if it wasn't listed as a rifle on the paperwork when you bought it), and you don't have a buttstock on it, you're fine.

What if I have one SBR (complete) lower, one non-SBR (complete) lower, 2 10.5" complete uppers and one 16" complete upper, is this scenario constructive possession?

You're fine, as long as you don't get caught with the non-SBR lower attached to a <16" upper... you can make an AR pistol into a rifle, but once it's configured as a rifle it's ALWAYS a rifle (SBR or not) and there's no going back to a pistol, unless you SBR it.

You're fine, as long as you don't get caught with the non-SBR lower attached to a <16" upper... you can make an AR pistol into a rifle, but once it's configured as a rifle it's ALWAYS a rifle (SBR or not) and there's no going back to a pistol, unless you SBR it.

Actually no (if I am reading what you say correctly).

That used to be the way the BATF enforced the law, but Thompson Center sued and won in court. For some years now this has been the case law.

If the lower was sold by the manufacturer as a pistol, then you can convert it to a rifle (by putting a rifle upper and rifle buttstock on it) and back again to a pistol (no buttstock, length of barrel doesn't matter). Just never put the buttstock and an upper with a barrel shorter than 16" on the lower at the same time unless you go the NFA SBR route.

Create as a pistol first and you can go back and forth.

ATF cases are case by case and constructive intent is basically out the window for the AR world being as modular and every half wit building them. If you got caught with threaded tube and baffles or home made lightning links you'd be screwed but nothing to worry about building a AR unless you actually have a illegal SBR built and showing pictures off or something stupid. I've seen it done. ..:eek:

Actually no (if I am reading what you say correctly).

That used to be the way the BATF enforced the law, but Thompson Center sued and won in court. For some years now this has been the case law.

If the lower was sold by the manufacturer as a pistol, then you can convert it to a rifle (by putting a rifle upper and rifle buttstock on it) and back again to a pistol (no buttstock, length of barrel doesn't matter). Just never put the buttstock and an upper with a barrel shorter than 16" on the lower at the same time unless you go the NFA SBR route.

Create as a pistol first and you can go back and forth.

ATF cases are case by case and constructive intent is basically out the window for the AR world being as modular and every half wit building them. If you got caught with threaded tube and baffles or home made lightning links you'd be screwed but nothing to worry about building a AR unless you actually have a illegal SBR built and showing pictures off or something stupid. I've seen it done. ..:eek:

+1 to both of these. I had a thread about this a few months back and had the same discussion. I was told the same thing - buy a lower and build it first as a pistol. Then you can go back and forth between pistol and rifle, no problem. The question came up about whether the lower is transferred as a pistol or rifle - so I talked to several FFL's about this. They are transferred as neither pistol nor rifle any longer, so it's up to the builder to decide what it will be.

Best bet is to build every lower as a pistol first, then do what you want after that. I guess that means you take a photo of some kind showing it built as a pistol, but really, how can they track that information?

I'm glad to hear that issue has been "refined" a bit and I was aware of the Thompson-Center case, but that is a factory designed kit that is easily documented for a defense. I hear what you guys are saying (and I agree), but don't think for a moment that you won't go through a sheite-storm (that'll cost money) to prove you're "innocent" in the case "home-brew" kits. o_O

I'm glad to hear that issue has been "refined" a bit and I was aware of the Thompson-Center case, but that is a factory designed kit that is easily documented for a defense. I hear what you guys are saying (and I agree), but don't think for a moment that you won't go through a sheite-storm (that'll cost money) to prove you're "innocent" in the case "home-brew" kits. o_O

Obviously it wouldn't be the government unless it was confusing. After learning what I did, I simply made the decision that I would always build a lower as a pistol first, photograph it with a date stamp, for my own records, then go on with it as I will. Would that stop the feds if they wanted to push the issue? Maybe not, but it's at least something you could use in your defense. YMMV.

I talked to him about threading the barrel on my .308 Ruger American, too. He said he's already done one and was amazed at how accurate the American series is.

I have the American in .22WMR, while that's not a big caliber like .308, it is an amazingly accurate rifle right out of the box.

I have heard people ask this kind of stuff often. I am always bewildered.

Has this been a problem for anyone? The ATF isn't stopping by my house to see if my lowers match my uppers and what they are for. No one ever asks me about it at the range.

Seems like a solution in search of problem.

i just e-filed to build another sbr and I've been unsure about this topic. So far, I'm assembling the rifle but i'm not buying/installing a barrel until the stamp gets back.

I had considered just assembling the thing as a "pistol" but I don't need to run the gun now so why waste the $50- on a weird pistol buffer tube?

I have not purchased the barrel yet due to lingering doubts about intent to construct etc.

Would I be in hot water for having a short barrel on hand that was never installed?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top